Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

  1. #1
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Hi all,

    We have a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L 4 cyl. engine.

    Is there any reason to not run synthetic oil in this car? (Say Castrol Syntec)

    I have 7K miles on it right now.


    thanks!

    Fink

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Of The North
    Posts
    6,362
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 255 Times in 146 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    As long as you follow the manufacturer's oil change intervals, there's not reason not to.

    Remember you have 100k powertrain coverage.

    An oil related engine failure is not going to be warrantable if you stretched the OCI because you ran synthetic. The GM oil life monitor does not recognize what kind of oil you use.

    But if synthetic is what you like, go for it.

  4. #3
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Thanks, but specifically, does anyone have any knowledge of how well synthetic works in this motor?

    I am thinking in terms of oil consumption, leaks, and that sort of thing. I have owned cars that increased their consumption, and by a noticeable amount, on synthetic.

    thanks all,

    Fink

  5. #4
    6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    '13 Fiesta ST Ingot Silver

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Fink View Post
    Thanks, but specifically, does anyone have any knowledge of how well synthetic works in this motor?

    I am thinking in terms of oil consumption, leaks, and that sort of thing. I have owned cars that increased their consumption, and by a noticeable amount, on synthetic.

    thanks all,

    Fink
    How long had they been run on non-synthetic before they were switched?

  6. #5
    1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    As long as you follow the manufacturer's oil change intervals, there's not reason not to.

    Remember you have 100k powertrain coverage.

    An oil related engine failure is not going to be warrantable if you stretched the OCI because you ran synthetic. The GM oil life monitor does not recognize what kind of oil you use.

    But if synthetic is what you like, go for it.
    That GM oil life monitor is a joke and I wouldn't trust it. I know someone who changed their oil every 5000km and didn't reset it until it went off, somewhere around 16000km! Thats a little too long for my liking! Time and km's is the best way to know when to change the oil.

  7. #6
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidlane View Post
    How long had they been run on non-synthetic before they were switched?
    10K

    I suspect the LAF motor will work fine on Syntec, just looking for specific experiences.

    thanks

    Fink

  8. #7
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanked_darren View Post
    That GM oil life monitor is a joke and I wouldn't trust it. I know someone who changed their oil every 5000km and didn't reset it until it went off, somewhere around 16000km! Thats a little too long for my liking! Time and km's is the best way to know when to change the oil.
    Good point.

    Fink

  9. #8
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanked_darren View Post
    That GM oil life monitor is a joke and I wouldn't trust it. I know someone who changed their oil every 5000km and didn't reset it until it went off, somewhere around 16000km! Thats a little too long for my liking! Time and km's is the best way to know when to change the oil.
    There have been people who have sent oil samples in for analysis after going by the oil life monitor. I've never seen one where the oil tested as being not good.

    You must be one of those people that thinks just because oil gets dark it's not longer any good. LOL.

  10. #9
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Fink View Post
    Hi all,

    We have a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L 4 cyl. engine.
    Is there any reason to not run synthetic oil in this car? (Say Castrol Syntec)
    I have 7K miles on it right now.
    thanks!
    Fink
    There is no reason not to.

    I've used synthetic in both our 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotecs when we had them. Both had no consumption issues.

    Pennzoil Platinum is a much better choice than Syntec though.

  11. #10
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    There is no reason not to.

    I've used synthetic in both our 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotecs when we had them. Both had no consumption issues.

    Pennzoil Platinum is a much better choice than Syntec though.
    Thanks

    Tell me more about the PP.


    Fink

  12. #11
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    11,617
    Thanks
    390
    Thanked 538 Times in 316 Posts
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    There have been people who have sent oil samples in for analysis after going by the oil life monitor. I've never seen one where the oil tested as being not good.

    You must be one of those people that thinks just because oil gets dark it's not longer any good. LOL.
    Same here. On BITOG, I saw a bunch of guys change their oil at 10-15% and the oil still had about 20% life left. Really interesting that GM got it so close while allowing a buffer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Fink View Post
    Thanks

    Tell me more about the PP.


    Fink
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

    Fink, just hit that site up. All the info about oil you can take.

    PP is just about the best bang for your buck oil out these days. Most auto stores have sales on it w/ oil filter for around $25. You cant beat that for great syn oil. PP will be going into our 2.4 Eco in our Terrain when we hit 1500 miles.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

  13. #12
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Same here. On BITOG, I saw a bunch of guys change their oil at 10-15% and the oil still had about 20% life left. Really interesting that GM got it so close while allowing a buffer.


    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

    Fink, just hit that site up. All the info about oil you can take.

    PP is just about the best bang for your buck oil out these days. Most auto stores have sales on it w/ oil filter for around $25. You cant beat that for great syn oil. PP will be going into our 2.4 Eco in our Terrain when we hit 1500 miles.
    Thanks, I registered over there yesterday.

    I started using Syntec years ago in my BMW, and it seems fine, but a lot of people are talking up the PP. I will check it out.

    Fink

  14. #13
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Eulentier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    I personally just stick to OEM specifications. If the user manual recommends conventional oil, just use that and you'll be fine. I usually get AC Delco oil filters as well.

    That said, GM uses Mobil synthetics in some of their high-performance applications, so I'd use that brand if you have to pick one as a synthetic.

  15. #14
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Same here. On BITOG, I saw a bunch of guys change their oil at 10-15% and the oil still had about 20% life left. Really interesting that GM got it so close while allowing a buffer.


    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

    Fink, just hit that site up. All the info about oil you can take.

    PP is just about the best bang for your buck oil out these days. Most auto stores have sales on it w/ oil filter for around $25. You cant beat that for great syn oil. PP will be going into our 2.4 Eco in our Terrain when we hit 1500 miles.
    Yep, BITOG is where I get my oil information from. It's amazing how much better oil is now yet we have people stuck in the 80s era of change intervals.

  16. #15
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Synthetic Oil for a 2010 Equinox?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eulentier View Post
    That said, GM uses Mobil synthetics in some of their high-performance applications, so I'd use that brand if you have to pick one as a synthetic.
    Pennzoil Platinum is also on GM's list of approved synthetic oils for high performance engines. Mobil 1 doesn't get their name on GM oil caps simply because they are the only oil to go in it.

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2