Strut tower rust

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strut tower rust

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Strut tower rust

Found some rust on my rear strut towers. Hasn't rusted through yet. Is there anything to be done? The whole car (2000 GP GTP) is worth maybe $2500, so no way I'm spending $1000 to have it repaired. I was thinking of trying to treat it myself, but have a few q's.

1) What product? I was thinking either Naval Jelly or Por 15. My thinking with Por 15 is maybe it will add a bit of rigidity to the area as it seems to dry quite strong.

2) Is this a huge waste of time? I love this car, but don't want to throw good money after bad. Also do not want to be unsafe, especially since this is such a structurally critical area.

"The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Strut tower rust

Yes it can be fixed and it sounds like you can handle it yourself at this point.
    We have fixed cars where the whole shock mount in the rear rusted away from the floor pan, sheet metal, pop-rivets and metal screws help just fine for years. Not the best looking repair but functional.

Treating the rust from spreading would be the main issue at this point and POR15 should do the trick. Worried about strength? Add a metal patch large enough to be secured to solid metal using screws, rivets or welding. Even a layered fiberglass patch would add strength.

Year an a half ago my brother sold his '98 GTP with major rocker panel rust too a private owner that did body work for $2500 with 145K on it. So yes, worth fixing IMO.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like you caught the rust just in time.

If you live in an area prone to rust, or the car came from an area prone to rust, I'd be checking other areas of the car as well.

I've heard 3M makes some good anti rust and pre-paint products as well.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tomko's Avatar
    Thanks

I've had good success with POR15 - but you have to follow the instructions very carefully.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
    1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
    1984 6000 STE (first car)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone know what the bead of gummy stuff is that goes around the actual mount part of the tower? Glue? Water proofing (lol!)? Whatever it is seems to be coming up, so I'd like to reapply it.

"The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dav305z View Post
    Anyone know what the bead of gummy stuff is that goes around the actual mount part of the tower? Glue? Water proofing (lol!)? Whatever it is seems to be coming up, so I'd like to reapply it.

Don't laugh, it could be water proofing--aka seam sealer if it is what I'm thinking of. There are many types of seam sealer available, what I might look for is a non-hardening paintable type.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information