GM Inside News Forum banner

Steering vibration while braking

34K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  LLW 
#1 ·
So I'm having some issues with the steering.

When I brake from from highway speed, steering starts from around 100km/h, slight vibration, then larger vibration at around 60-50km/h, then vibration damps out. Slight pulsation of the brake pedal at around the same speeds, same intensity variation as well, but very slight. It doesn't seem to happen if I'm braking at low speeds, only highway.

I did some basic diagnostics, rotated the tires and checked the tire pressure, doesn't seem to cut it. My rotors and brake pads are pretty new as well, got a new set on all 4 wheels last Summer.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks.

#2 ·
It sounds like bad rotors. Maybe they could be "turned"....where they sand them flat again.....but maybe they need replaced 9again) unfortunately.

What vehicle? How many miles?

#3 ·
2006 Pontiac G6 SE V6, 41200 kms.

I originally was thinking rotors as well, but I just replaced them, along with new pads last summer. Also I'm not getting much brake pulsation, compared to in the past with my old car (2002 Cavalier) and last time with this car when the rotors rusted out. I'm feeling a much stronger vibration at the steering.

#4 ·
Be patient...I know there are a few GM certified mechanics that post here. I vaguely remember suspension/steering components causing that type of problem...but I think that was happening on trucks/SUVs...not GM cars.

I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction shortly! ;)

#5 ·
I had similar problem a year ago, it took me some time to fix it because i didn't want to spend too much money, which "too much" i meant not over $100.
So, i started doing one thing at a time. I changed two front brake pads, the shaking was still there. then i changed the rear pads, and still there. Change the dam front rotors, still there. finally, i decided to do the rear one, and the shaking were gone. i was kind of sad because it went over my budget, roundly $200. And then i inspected all 4 rotors, i notice in fact there were little uneven surfaces on the 2 rear rotors even they look undamaged.

so, for your information, go to a shop and have them strip all tires and take a close look of your rotors, they are the most possible parts causing braking vibration.

#6 ·
+1 on brake rotors. I had the same issue with my supercharged Accord back in my ricer days. It doesn't take much to get the cheapo OEMs warped again if you do any form of spirited driving with some hard braking. And when I say hard, I mean anything that lets the ABS kick in. Dumpy bread and butter cars just don't like to be driven in any other ways than how grandmas drive them.

#7 ·
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, and turning my front brake rotors fixed it. I also just replaced front pads (Akebono ProACT Ceramic) and rotors (Power Slot) last fall, and the rotors still warped fairly quickly. My vehicle is a 2006 G6 GTP. Try turning your rotors first.

#9 ·
usually its the rotor. On my cadillac cts, it was the rotor. Once the rotor changed, no more problem and 3k miles later, the problem came back. Had to turn the rotor and problem was fixed for another 3k miles.

The real problem was one of the two bolts holding the caliper didn't have any play in it to let free the caliper while doing its job. This result put a lot of stress and heat on the rotor and finally I had to change the bracket that the caliper holds on to. Since then, I put 10k miles and no more warped rotors. Its a DIY verification ;)

#12 ·
OK, so the shop got back to me, checked my rotors, there is some slight imbalance in the rotors, but it's not the cause. They suspected the intermediate U-shaft, and asked me to send back to the dealer.

Now since I have sent the car back for the bulletins saying this was a problem, is there a slim chance I can get them fixed under "warranty", even though I don't have any left? They already fore-warned me that if I don't fix this under warranty I can look at several hundred, parts alone.

#13 ·
OK, so the shop got back to me, checked my rotors, there is some slight imbalance in the rotors, but it's not the cause. They suspected the intermediate U-shaft, and asked me to send back to the dealer.

Now since I have sent the car back for the bulletins saying this was a problem, is there a slim chance I can get them fixed under "warranty", even though I don't have any left? They already fore-warned me that if I don't fix this under warranty I can look at several hundred, parts alone.
You definitely have a leg to stand on regarding GM paying for the repair. Once could very easily deduce the possibility of the TSB not being done properly. I would really try to hammer that issue home: Most likely, if they truly inspected the u-shaft at the time of the TSB, then the problem should have been taken care of at that time. But I admit I know nothing about the TSB your speaking of.

Let us know how it goes.

#16 ·
I have a 98 Cadillac Deville I picked up cheap. I have a shimmy while putting on the brake at aprox 45 and higher. I have not had car but couple days. I have all ready changed Pads on both front and rear. This is the only GM car that's given me this problem. Any suggestions will heip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.