Squeek in Dash on Silverado

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squeek in Dash on Silverado

Thanks

Squeek in Dash on Silverado

Hoping for some help identifing a squeek coming form the drivers side of my dash on my 04 silverado. I am thinking it is coming from the instrument cluster but I am not certain. I can hear it at low speeds with or with out the HVAC or Radio on. Has anyone else had this issue. If so how did I fix it, it is driving me nuts
    Last edited by Sandhopper; 12-31-2008 at 06:31 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: Squeek in Dash on Silveardo

couple of things. first off, you need to track it down. to do this you need to try to get it to act up. try pushing on the dash, banging on it, or hitting bumps or whatever. just try to get it to make noise. trace it down to the suspect area, then disassemble that part of the dash, and then drive it again, try to isolate it. to fix it, depending on what it is, you can install foam tape, electrical tape, or you can adjust a few things, loosen items up, or tighten. its all process of elimination. and sometimes they can be a real pain in the rear. ive had some where it takes 5 minutes to find it and fix it, and some that take several hours. rattles and squeeks are never fun. especially on warranty time.

i cant tell you exactly what is making the noise, could be several items. things like this are hard to diagnose over a computer.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Thanks

Thanks Triple X08... I hoped this was a common problem that I could easily identifed so I did not have to tear the whole dash apart. I am realy concerned that opening up the dash will open a can of worms (or at least a can of squeeks/rattles).

Thanks

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

you dont need to open the whole dash up, just a couple sections. like take off the front bezel, where the radio and your headlight switch and all that sit at, just pops off. put the tilt down and key on engine off put it in 1st gear, that will give you room to get the bezel out. once you have this out, you can get a good idea of where things are located, and possibly track it down better.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

also, drive it around with the bezel off as well, that way you can tell if it may be in that area, or it could also be the bezel itself, its common for those plastic panels to make noise, especially with metal retainer clips. things arent built the way they used to be. not really any bolts in the interior anymore, just plastic panels with metal retainers.

Thanks

great, thanks. I guess I have my weekend project lined up. The noise is getting even louder now. I will post if I find anything Thanks for you help.

Thanks

Found It!

I would have felt pretty silly taking it to the dealer and finding out the issue was one of my own making. Evedently when I wired the truck for the power winch for the boat trailer, I bundled the wire together with the main wire harness under the drivers side floor. When the truck would flex the wire would squeek in the stock wire holder. At least I know how easy it is to pull the dash apart now.

Thanks for the help Triple-X08.

Thanks

Re: Squeek in Dash / drivers side area on Silverado

Here is an update... The squeek came back with avangence. I climbed under the drivers side, just under the left front body mount and found that the parking brake has been rubbing a metal ear tab sticking out right next to the body mount. It had rubbed through the rubber protector for the parking brake cable and down to bare metal. This looks like it might be a common problem and a good place to start if you are hunting down squeeks from the drivers side area. It was a simple fix. Used a wire tie to pull the cable back away from the metal ear. Not even sure why the ear is there. If the wire tie does not work I may consider removing the metal tab all together, does not seem to otherwise have a purpose.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Squeek in Dash on Silverado

Good tracking and thanks for the update!

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information