Sound of sloshing water coming from behind dashboard

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sound of sloshing water coming from behind dashboard

Walking
    Thanks

Sound of sloshing water coming from behind dashboard

Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Olds Intrigue (3.8) with 137,000 miles.

When I start my car on chilly or cold mornings, I hear the sound of sloshing water coming from behind my dashboard. The sound becomes particularly noticeable when I start driving the car and make sharp turns. And I hear this sound regardless of whether it rained or not the night before. However, the sound goes away completely as the car starts to warm up (after about 10 to 15 minutes). This phenomenon has has occurred for the past three years I have owned the car. During warm days (i.e., later spring and the summer), I do not hear this sound when I start the car.

I had the A/C drain plug checked this past September, and it was not clogged. I have never found water inside the passenger compartment, either.
    Anyway, if the A/C drain plug was clogged, why would the sound of sloshing water go away after 10-15 minutes?

Any ideas as to what I am hearing? Could it be coolant? (I don't smell coolant when I use the heater, and the heater itself works fine).

Thanks, dudes.

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sound of sloshing water coming from behind dashboard

Sounds like heater core is partially clogged?

Ah, the wonders of dex-cool!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

You're low on coolant. I had the same problem on my '04 Grand Prix. Just add premixed compatible coolent to the coolent tank and it'll go away.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

oh man, i thought Old Dood was back for a minute.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

yeah i agree with you guys, i would have to go with low on coolant as well, same problem as the new impalas have with the heater core not having enough coolant in them on start up. there is a bulletin for the impalas, i know its different and all, but i think it will have the same impact on your vehicle as well.

i would fill up your cooling system and flush it out, then make sure its all bled out properly, it may have a air pocket in it. should take care of it.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 fenderbender's Avatar
    Thanks

My S-10 makes that noise when I rev it with the A/C on.

Any ideas?
    Fender Bender

My Rides

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR-2 5 speed
    -K&N Intake | Custom Dual Exhaust | Cowl Hood
    Panasonic Head Unit | Dual Speakers | Legacy Rebel Amp | 10" Kicker Comp Subs

2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4X4
    -3000lb. Xtreme Winch| Removed Baffle
    Fog Lights

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

in an S 10 you probably have a plugged heater core. need to get it fixed asap or else its going to plug up so bad that it will need replaced.

not sure if its the same deal as what hes dealing with, but sounds like a heater core to me. anyone else have any ideas?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

No way its plugged............My NEW truck did it !
    Its either low on coolant or the cooling system has a air bubble in it
    and needs to be "burped"!
    Problem solved !

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

My blazer makes that noise, usually when cold too. Had it to the garage a couple of times for it, but nothing was ever found, as they said it wouldn't do it for them.
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 -- 63,000 miles
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT -- 98,000 miles

Family: 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ, 2012 Chevrolet Volt; 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS; 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD; 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT; 2005 Chevrolet Impala

Walking
    Thanks

Well, thanks for the advice so far.

I am going to check the coolant level and try to "burp" the system this Monday afternoon. Then I'll check to see if I hear the sloshing sound on Tuesday morning.

I had the system flushed and a new radiator, water pump, and belt tensioner installed in November '07 (the system, including the radiator, had chunks of black gunk in it...the water pump was leaking and the bearing in the belt tensioner was bad). The thing is, I heard the sloshing sound before and after I had the system flushed and all the work done. But, I will try "burping."

Again, thanks.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olds_Dude View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Olds Intrigue (3.8) with 137,000 miles.

When I start my car on chilly or cold mornings, I hear the sound of sloshing water coming from behind my dashboard. The sound becomes particularly noticeable when I start driving the car and make sharp turns. And I hear this sound regardless of whether it rained or not the night before. However, the sound goes away completely as the car starts to warm up (after about 10 to 15 minutes). This phenomenon has has occurred for the past three years I have owned the car. During warm days (i.e., later spring and the summer), I do not hear this sound when I start the car.

I had the A/C drain plug checked this past September, and it was not clogged. I have never found water inside the passenger compartment, either.
    Anyway, if the A/C drain plug was clogged, why would the sound of sloshing water go away after 10-15 minutes?

Any ideas as to what I am hearing? Could it be coolant? (I don't smell coolant when I use the heater, and the heater itself works fine).

Thanks, dudes.

Jason
    If you hear the sloshing on the drivers side of the dash, it is not the lack of coolent. If you have a sloshing in the dash board, it is 1 of 3 things. Your heater core is leaking (passenger side sloshing, low coolant). You should be able to smell the radiator fluid and have wet carpet. You might have a wind shield leak. Again wet floor. Most likley it is the a/c drain line clogged. You said you checked the drain line, but you must go a little further. Look at the passenger side fire wall where the drain line is. On the bottom right is the drain line with a 5 inch plastic, slightly angled tube. Pull this out of the rubber connection. Check that is is clear with a tube cleaner. Now pull off the rubber piece that is attatched to the fire wall, water should flow. This is where the clog is most common. Clean with tube cleaner. For best results, have truck on a slight angle forward.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information