Silverado power steering, Rt but no Lt

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silverado power steering, Rt but no Lt

Walking
    Thanks

Silverado power steering, Rt but no Lt

I own a 2004 Silverado 1500 extended cab. Coming home last night, I went to make a left turn and there was no power steering. All is normal in a right turn. This came on suddenly. There have been no other indications of any power steering problems. Fluid level is good and there are no leaks. Any help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Silverado power steering, Rt but no Lt

Quote Originally Posted by roaddaddy View Post
    I own a 2004 Silverado 1500 extended cab. Coming home last night, I went to make a left turn and there was no power steering. All is normal in a right turn. This came on suddenly. There have been no other indications of any power steering problems. Fluid level is good and there are no leaks. Any help!!!
    To me it sounds like a rack & pinion gear/steering box. I'm not sure which one the Silverado's have in that year, but that's what it sounds like. You'll probably end up replacing the rack/box and the pump as well because metal shavings might get into the pump after changing the rack/box. I've seen people change the rack/box then a few months later, they are changing the pump because of metal shavings. Best to have a technician look at it.

I hope that helps.

"

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

My 04 had a similar issue but it had "high steering effort" turning wheel in either
    direction at idle or low speeds. It was the EVO sensor.

Heres the TSB:

Check on a TSB for high steering effort.
    This one is for 04-06 and possibly other years:
    05-02-32-008B 07/18/2007 Steering - Lack of Assist at Low Speeds

More Tech Info:
    EVO System[/b]

The EVO system automatically adjusts the required steering effort in relation to engine RPM or vehicle speed. Delphi’s “variableeffort” steering systems incorporate a controller (The sensor on your steering column) that varies electrical current to the actuator device (The EVO valve mounted in the reservoir of you PS pump) with changes in vehicle speed.

The Electronic Variable Orifice (EVO) system changes steering effort by regulating fluid flow from the power steering pump.

During parking maneuvers, the actuator provides high pump flow for easier steering effort. At highway speeds, the actuator reduces flow in proportion to vehicle speed for improved highway feel and stability.

If power to the solenoid or control valve actuator is lost, the valve keeps the bypass circuit closed so full power assist is provided under all driving conditions. The only indication of trouble, therefore, might be a loss of road feel and/or increased steering sensitivity at highway speeds.
    It’s important to remember that variable-rate power steering only reduces the amount of pressure that reaches the steering gear at higher road speeds. The only way it could reduce power assist at low speed would be in the unlikely event the actuator or solenoid valve failed in the open position. This could cause a noticeable reduction or loss of power assist.
    TROUBLESHOOTING THE EVO SENSOR
    First, disconnect the three-wire connector from your steering wheel speed sensor.
    Next, with your key in the OFF position, use a digital multi-meter to test for resistance between your CKT 1057 (ORN/BLK) and CKT 1059 (LT BLU) wires.
    Then, rotate your steering wheel slowly from lock to lock and record the highest reading.
    If the reading is above 12K ohms, you'll have to replace your steering wheel speed sensor and bearing assembly with a General Motors sensor kit (P/N 26064468), $36.19 from WWW.GMPartsDirect.com at time of writing.

Walking
    Thanks

Thank you. That was a very concise and helpful starting point. Getting right on it.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information