s-10 rear turn signal problems

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s-10 rear turn signal problems

Walking
    Thanks

s-10 rear turn signal problems

Greetings all, I am in dire need of some help with a 2003 S-10 pick up right rear turning light problem and it's as follows, I have had this back at the dealers and are only able to cure the problem for a short time, I am getting a quick flashing of the light when I turn to the Right I have checked all of my bulbs and all check out o.k. when I connect the trailer to the G.M. trailer wiring harness which I purchased to hook up a 4 prong trailer ,it will stop flashing quickly and function normally, I un hook the trailer harness and again it starts to flash quickly??? I 'm at my wits end and any help would be appricesated.thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: s-10 rear turn signal problems

I suspect something in your connection to the trailer harness is likely shorting out...or there is no ground attached enroute. With the trailer harness tee installed it works OK, I suspect the ground is then fed through the trailer connection ground wire...

Inspect both ends of the plugs that connect to the trailer harness...and trace back for a compromised harness wire...

That's my best guess????????????

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

are there any scotch locks in the wiring?

bad things those are
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    I suspect something in your connection to the trailer harness is likely shorting out...or there is no ground attached enroute. With the trailer harness tee installed it works OK, I suspect the ground is then fed through the trailer connection ground wire...

Inspect both ends of the plugs that connect to the trailer harness...and trace back for a compromised harness wire...

My guess as well. I am sure there is a loose or bad ground on the tail light circuit. Right on Sonoma!!
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

yeah aparently trailer harness plugs usually corrod and get ****ty... i seen it even on brand new colerados

Walking
    Thanks

thanks for the responses guys,so by compromised wire you mean broken I take it.?? no there are not any scotch locks in the system . What would be the easy way to find the broken or compromised wire????
    Last edited by nick0-31; 04-22-2007 at 05:59 PM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Visual inspection, or route the head of the harness, and check it with a tester...

Walking
    Thanks

Visual inspection, or route the head of the harness, and check it with a tester...
    Well I took old trailer plug that I had and plugged it into my trailer harness to test and after it was plugged in I went from the right terminal to ground and it blew my fuse tried jumping it to the right side terminal and it stopped flashing quickly but then both right and left light were flashing.
    </IMG></IMG>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nick0-31
    Well I took old trailer plug that I had and plugged it into my trailer harness to test and after it was plugged in I went from the right terminal to ground and it blew my fuse tried jumping it to the right side terminal and it stopped flashing quickly but then both right and left light were flashing.
    </IMG></IMG>
    What? If I read that correctly you went from the right blinker terminal directly to ground? Of course the fuse would blow. I dont understand what you are trying to do.

I dont think the problem is where you are looking. Just to clarify, without anything hooked up and driving down the road, when you put on the right blinker, it blinks fast, and the lamp on the trucks does not work, but with the trailer hooked up it works normally? Let me ask this, does the trailer lamp blink as well as the one on the truck or does just the trailer lamp blink? In other words, when a bulb goes out it breaks the circuit, which causes the blinker to blink fast. When you hook up your trailer you are adding another lamp to that same circuit which is why it starts blinking normally, since the circuit completes itself.

If the trailer lamp blinks, and the truck lamp starts blinking to then it seems it is searching for a ground, and finds one when you hook up the trailer. All of the grounds for all of the lamp fuctions go to one splice pack, then from there ground to the vehicle. If you can follow the wiring from the tail light/ turn signal bulb you will probalby find your culpirt. Also I know you said you checked the bulb, but how does the socket itself look? Are there any burnt/discolored terminals? If so change the socket. Another thing, what has the dealer done or said to yuo about it?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, It's hard to organize my thoughts sometimes.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

Walking
    Thanks

Methinks you have a bad rear bulb socket.Makes contact for a while after its worked on then goes open due to lack of tension from being hot.Haven't seen this on the s 10 but have replaced bunches on c-k trucks and Envoys.Russ

Walking
    Thanks

I am trying to keep the right rear light from flashing quickly without the trailer being hooked up,Which means that if I hook up the trailer harness it flashes at a normal slow rate if I disconnect the trailer harness it will flash quickly.Does any one have a wiring diagram for the rear lights that I could access for reference??? Also there are 2 small ground wires on the left rear of the truck which I had to install the trailer ground to when I installed the trailer harness, I noted a single ground on the right of the rear underneath the bumper which I have not yet taking off and cleaned,I will try that when I get home from work.I will try to find the past receipts to find out what the techs said the last time the dealer worked on this problem which it has been in for on three different times with no long term lasting results!!! Thanks to all for your help, God I love the internet </IMG>

Thanks

Is this trailer harness a kit that has the correct plug/socket to fit the truck? I'd first try disconnecting the harness and reconnect the truck wiring as it came from the factory. If it still doesn't work correctly and the bulbs are all lighting brightly otherwise, then the problem is in the flasher unit I'd think.
    Last edited by shadams; 04-23-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks

I was thinking about the first part on the way home, funny how you think of the easiest stuff after all of that. I might be wrong but I think what he has is one of those T's that you unplug the factory tail light harness and put in line. If he removed that and reconnected the factory clip he could eliminate it as a possibilty. I still think that the reason the light stops flashing fast when the trailer conection is hooked up is becuase the trailer lamp takes the place of the non-functioning truck lamp. I would also trace back the green wire on the trailer wiring to where it hooks up to the tail ight wiring and see if there are any issues. This is a hard one over the net, really need to check quite a few things.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadams
    I was thinking about the first part on the way home, funny how you think of the easiest stuff after all of that. I might be wrong but I think what he has is one of those T's that you unplug the factory tail light harness and put in line. If he removed that and reconnected the factory clip he could eliminate it as a possibilty. I still think that the reason the light stops flashing fast when the trailer conection is hooked up is becuase the trailer lamp takes the place of the non-functioning truck lamp. I would also trace back the green wire on the trailer wiring to where it hooks up to the tail ight wiring and see if there are any issues. This is a hard one over the net, really need to check quite a few things.
    First of all to the responders thank you all very much. I went and spent 20.00$ on a Haynes service manual which as in the past was a wast,they are very vague even with the wiring diagrams.I was not able to get a Chillton manual from my library.So I found the original service record of what the dealer did to resolve the problem the last time and again the tech was vague with what he did which according to what he wrote was to repair a broken wire (which I call bunk) but he also did not specify which wire he repaired,I took it back to the same dealer and this time they said they traced the culprit as being the terminal block on the right side of truck (which I never saw,all of the terminal blocks I was working with were on the lower left side where you T into with the new trailer wiring harness which was an OEM from GM trailer harness) any way the tech said that this terminal block was full of moister in the way of water and all he did was to disconnect and clean and install dialectic grease,problem solved well almost.It's hard for me to believe that this could have been the problem all along because it was the third time I have had it in for the same reason and it has never been the same cause as far as I can remember .So I would like to know if any of you guys have had the same issues with any truck lights.
    </IMG></IMG>

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

corrosion is a big problem with electrical stuff.

i think he is right. i would stand behind that. it can certainly cause what you have going on. usually when you blow a fuse instantly its a wire issue. high resistance causing alot more amperage to be flowing. which in turn blows the fuse
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information