Replacing water pump 93 bonneville

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing water pump 93 bonneville

Walking
    Thanks

Replacing water pump 93 bonneville

Hi, need a little advise on acess to replace the water pump. It's a 3800 engine. The motor mount is bolted over top to one side of water pump. There is acess holes for the water pump bolts. but it is very close. Anybody know if the water pump can be R&R'd without removing the motor Mount. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Robt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Replacing water pump 93 bonneville

No, you have to pull the motor mount. If you have a floor jack you can carefully support/move the engine up and down by the oil pan. Put a board between the jack and the pan to spread out the load. Do not jack up the car by the oil pan, I'm only saying to do this to support the motor while the motor mount is off.

You will also have to pull off the bracket that holds the alternator/PS pump. It partially covers one bolt. (If they only notched the bracket so the one bolt would come out, it would save a lot of work).

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply T-Type. That figures. Just my luck. Hehe.I think I noticed the compressor is bolted to the motor mount bracket also. I didnt have a good look at it. I figured if the bracket had to come off I'd have to support the motor. I'll do as you suggested and use a board on my jack. I figure the motor mount and compressor will give me the most problems. just getting them out of the way. I'll figure something out. It doesnt look like it will give any room just unbolting it from the motor. Opps you said it will have to come off.! Sorry. Any way thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it. If you think of anything else. Let me know. I guess I'll start on it this weekend. Thanks again. Robt.
    Last edited by robt46; 03-29-2006 at 09:33 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

No problem. Lucky for you I just changed the pump on my Bonneville so it's still fresh in my mind. It's a big pain in the butt but it can be done. Set aside the whole day for it.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information