Rear wheel seized safe to move?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear wheel seized safe to move?

Walking
    Thanks

Rear wheel seized safe to move?

Hi I have a 97 intrepid that has been sitting for a year. It's rear wheel is seized and I moved it around a little to try and free it up as well as banging on it lightly with hammer. Is it safe to give it a good move on to the road to try and free up the wheel or can something break inside the drum? Thanks, John.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Rear wheel seized safe to move?

try to take out the drum if banging and moving forward and back won't free it

I mean you can't go out and drive it at 90 km/h...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quick funny story...

A Mazda dealer was bought out and they were clearing out all the old junk in the back lot. There was a mid-'80s Turbo LeBaron I tried to buy the year before but they told me a wholesaler bought it and therefore owned it and they could not sell it to me even for parts. Well now it was "drag it outta here and it's yours" so me and my friends snatched up anything that ran for our own demolition derby. The LeBaron was a parts car for me. It had a busted fuel line and seizied rear wheel so it wasn't demo derby worthy anyway. So we hauled it up on a borrowed car trailer pulled by a borrowed Explorer. We strapped it down and drove it to my house. Parked on the road put the ramps on. went to unhook it and the cheap-ass tie downs were bent. Instead of U-shaped they were all now L-shaped and barely that. They were hardly holding anything, then after we were looking at these crappy tie-downs the damn car rolled off the trailer! Me and my buddy had to chase it down my street! The wheel unseized itself on the 10-min drive home.

So my suggestion is to borrow a car trailer and drive the Intrepod around for a little while and see how it goes.

But I'd try to take the drum off and see why it's seized. A friend of mine had the shoe break off his rear brakes on a Contour last week. Driving it around a bit wasn't going to help that one.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Walking
    Thanks

i dont plan on taking it for a drive with the seized wheel just my driveway it doesnt seem to cause much friction so i wanted to move it out to the road... is there a chance of it breaking if i do that?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmichaud View Post
    i dont plan on taking it for a drive with the seized wheel just my driveway it doesnt seem to cause much friction so i wanted to move it out to the road... is there a chance of it breaking if i do that?
    That all depends on what is seized and we don't know. It could work and free it up. It might not. I would probably do it though, but I would pullt he wheel off first to see if I could find it that way.

You could end up with a flat spot on your tire.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC retirednak's Avatar
    Thanks

you won't break anything by moving it. Sounds like rust has taken over. You may get it to break free by rocking the car on asphalt. If that doesn't work,you'll need a brake spoon and back the brake off. The worst it could be is a bad wheel bearing.

'96 Caprice, LT1,B4U, 41K miles, 1 of 2 made w/options
    '03 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Laramie Sport, Cummins,Built 47 series trans w/BD VB & Pork's Torques TC, Smarty S-06 w/PoD, AirDog LP,SpynTec Hubs,FS-2500 Bypass Filter System, and....

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information