Radiator Flush

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiator Flush

Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Yukon Denali

Radiator Flush

So i have heard mixed reviews with dexcool radiator fluid and was going to flush my system and replace the fluid with non-dexcool fluid... but i ran into a problem. I cant for the life of me locate the drain plug or anything that even looks like you might remove it to drain the radiator.
    I drive an 05 Yukon denali, if anyone knows where the damn plug is located please let me know.
    Thanks alot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Radiator Flush

When in doubt just pull off the lower radiator hose
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

I have never had a issue with any of my high mile Deathcool equipped vehicles.
    Most of the deathcool horror stories were always related with a engine
    or cooling system problem.

Anyhoo most newer GMs I have never seen a radiator drain plug.
    I agree with just dropping the lower hose. But switching to the regular
    green stuff..............Nah!

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep up with all the current technolgy. Visit my blog at: http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickMN View Post
    Damn, I am planning to do my cooling system this spring. Didn't know it didn't have a drain.

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Haven't looked at my 09 yet. The drain plug was always been on the lower driver on the engine side. Hard to find, is plastic, need to lube so it won't break.
    Will look when wife gets back.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a plug there but according to that link it is NON removable!

*quote*
    Starting in 2003, GM discontinued the use of a drain hose attached to the radiator drain valve. Later, GM discontinued the use of a radiator drain valve altogether. Some models continued to include a drain valve, but the valve was permanently sealed during production. Do NOT try and operate these sealed valves—they will break. GM warns that if you try to remove and replace the valve, debris from the breakage may circulate throughout the system and damage water pump, heater core, and thermostat components.

The bottom line is that you must now either remove the lower radiator hose or use a siphon to remove coolant from the radiator. This bulletin applies to all 1998-04 GM cars and trucks.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slls View Post
    Haven't looked at my 09 yet. The drain plug was always been on the lower driver on the engine side. Hard to find, is plastic, need to lube so it won't break.
    Will look when wife gets back.
    Could not find a drain. My 99 Sonoma has a drain and it works. My 04 Z body Malibu had a hose and drain valve.
    Last edited by slls; 03-25-2011 at 01:34 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ChevroletTough's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

I was in the same position as you. My truck was due for a flush, and I didn't want dex cool as I've heard/seen nasty things. I was looking at some G80 prestone stuff.

From my limited research and talking with different people, as long as you keep dex cool clean, it's alright. (Meaning flush it regularly, and look at the fluid!)

You can always manipulate the lower radiator hose and run water down through the radiator to flush it all out... Place a big pale/bucket and have the lower hose in there to catch the flush. (You'll probably have to loosen the clamp on the lower hose to twist it to make it run into the bucket.) DO NOT TURN THE HOSE ON HIGH!!! just let the water slowly trickle into the radiator fill neck until the water is completely clean.

I'd also reccomend putting distilled water into the radiator when you fill it back up with antifreeze/water.

My 2 cents. Best of luck!
    2004 Silverado Z71
    -G80 Eaton Locker
    -33" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    -SSBC Short Stop Brake Kit w/ stainless lines
    -K&N 77 Series Intake
    -2006 Grille and 2005 HD Hood
    - Corvette Servro
    -Custom LED lights inside and out
    -D ick Cepek DCII Rims
    -Access Bed Cover

"Drive what you want, appologize to no-one" - Nailhead425

Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Yukon Denali

Thanks for all the info!
    Why you would discontinue putting a drain plug in your radiator is beyond me... but then again GM hasent always been known for there brains :P

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ChevroletTough's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by degroot1981 View Post
    Thanks for all the info!
    Why you would discontinue putting a drain plug in your radiator is beyond me... but then again GM hasent always been known for there brains :P
    I'd tend to agree, but at the same time, taking off the bottom radiator hose is just as easy....
    2004 Silverado Z71
    -G80 Eaton Locker
    -33" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    -SSBC Short Stop Brake Kit w/ stainless lines
    -K&N 77 Series Intake
    -2006 Grille and 2005 HD Hood
    - Corvette Servro
    -Custom LED lights inside and out
    -D ick Cepek DCII Rims
    -Access Bed Cover

"Drive what you want, appologize to no-one" - Nailhead425

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Thanks for all the info!

I owned a 1973 Corvette coupe with the L-48 engine and automatic transmission for 23 years. The original radiator did not have a drain petcock. It was a very difficult process to drain the coolant (then every two years).

I collected a variety of literature about the car and found a Chevrolet service news publication that said the radiator drain petcock was eliminated on the 1973 Corvettes.

Years later I bought a replacement Harrison / Delco radiator for the car. The replacement came with an opening for a drain petcock, but it had a plug in it. I bought a drain petcock and installed it before I installed the radiator.

Cost cutting runs in cycles....

Thanks

Thanks for all the info!
    Those small drains can clog when you have a load of scale in the system...can't go wrong with taking the hose off
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information