Quad 4 Performance?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad 4 Performance?

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quad 4 Performance?

Anything out there to spice up a quad 4 in a 00 Grand Am? My brother just got one, and I wanted to pu tsomethings in it to make it quicker.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Quad 4 Performance?

The GM performance parts catalog has a couple things I believe, though stuff from there tends to be expensive, and there isn't too much there for a quad 4.

I recall seeing this:

http://hotrod.com/techarticles/73858/

in print; unfortunately since these motors already have a high specific output its hard to squeeze out much more without either forced induction or making it spin faster. This can get you started on making the most of what's out there, and of course the universal things work too like a free flowing exhaust, free flowing intake ducting that supplies the coolest air possible, and even smoothing out the intake manifold runners, a port match, and light port work (I would personally only go so far as a cleanup of the runners and bowls, & maybe knife edge the port where it is split for the two valves).

Of possible interest--I believe there was a posi available though it may not be anymore and I think you have to dig into the transaxle to get to the differential. I think someone was making cams too, though this may not exist anymore either.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

i know that GM offers a supercharger for the 2.4L Twincam or "Quad IV". It's available for the Sunfire/Cavalier auto and manual trannies, but since both the N-bodies and J-Bodies engine and trannies are the same for the 2.4L, I would imagine it would work. It develops 190 HP.

12498287 2.4L Twin Cam Supercharger
    Application:
    2000 - 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.4 L (RPO - LD9) with Manual Transaxle (RPO- M86)
    2000 - 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.4L (RPO - LD9) with Manual Transaxle (RPO - M94)
    2000 - 2002 Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 L (RPO - LD9) with Manual Transaxle (RPO- M86)
    2000 - 2002 Pontiac Sunfire 2.4L (RPO - LD9) with Manual Transaxle (RPO - M94)

This integral "roots-type" supercharger and manifold design was developed to maximize both engine horsepower and torque without sacrificing durability. Vehicle Control Module (VCM) calibration is a key factor in both performance and driveability. This supercharger has its own unique calibration designed specifically for 2000 to 2002 model year 2.4L Twin Cam engines. Being an integral design gives the supercharger a "clean" factory look and more importantly, it's GM factory engineered. The GM Performance Part kit is the only supercharger that has met GM Engineering standards. The 2.4L Twin Cam Supercharger has undergone more extensive testing and tuning than any other power-adding device. If your goal is to make a reliable 190 HP and add over 40 lb/ft of torque with your 2.4 Twin Cam, this is the only way to go. The end result is a reliable, compact powertrain that has more power than many V6 engines.

The kit includes:
    - All mounting brackets and all mounting fasteners required for installation.
    - All air ducts and adapters including new PCV hoses, baffle and tubes required for installation.
    - Gen II Map Sensor, four spark plugs, accessory drive belt required for installation.
    - Recalibration of the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) is also included in the kit.

Easy Installation:
    Normal technician's hand tools are all that's required to install this supercharger kit (recalibration of the on-board vehicle control module must be done at an authorized GM dealership). Skilled technicians can easily complete a full installation in a single day.

The 2.4L Twin Cam Supercharger Kit carries a warranty covering the complete kit for defects in material and workmanship for a period of 12 months or 12,000 miles from date of installation. In addition to the product warranty, this supercharger kit will cover the powertrain (internally lubricated engine and transmission components) for the length of the original factory powertrain warranty. For specific details contact your local GM Performance Parts dealer.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpart...253&section=ep

Thanks

Ive seen the supercharger used with the automatic on a Cavalier

Banned
    Thanks

http://www.j-body.org
    They all have 2.4 Twin Cams there.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information