GM Inside News Forum banner

Programming PassKey 3+

132K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  aaranpeters 
#1 · (Edited)
After the wife lost her key, I bought a PK3+ transponder key off eBay for my '06 Impala SS, got it cut at a local locksmith and tried (unsuccessfully) to program it myself. It came with it's own instructions, which didn't jive with the OEM instructions from the manual. I've tried every way multiple times, and now have "service theft deterrent system" on the DIC constantly...probably from the multiple unsuccessful attempts (wonder if a disco of the battery cable will clear this?).

I'm thinking of takin it to the dealer and playin' dumb...or calling AAA and telling them that i lost my only key and seeing if they can make & train a new one on site (free).

Ideas?

I first tried the programming instructions from the manual: put in original key, start vehicle, turn vehicle off, insert new key (within couple seconds), wait for light to DEluminate. This did not work, and i tried multiple times.

The instructions that came with the key gave 2 ways to do it: 1st way seems as if it's to program the new "Master" key if you have no others....put it in, turn to "on", let go until security light DEluminates (approx 10 min), then do again x2...after the light DEluminated the third time, insert another key (if necessary) within 20 seconds; when light turns off the second key is programmed.

The 2nd part of the instructions state that to add the new key as an additional key, you need 2 master keys. Put one in, start the engine, turn it off, insert 2nd master key, turn to on, wait 5 seconds for light to turn off, take out, insert "new" key, turn to on, wait for light off...done.

Neither of these worked.

BTW - the key was labeled and packaged as Strattec Security Corp. GM Chevy PK3+ 93 GR #692931 11/18/05 It is a GM Official Licensed Product. The key has a + inside a circle, like the original i have, but it's smaller in size. The seller (who works for AAA locksmith) says that the size difference indicates the newest transponder technology.

Questions: Will pulling the battery cable clear my DIC message?

If not, will the dealer try to charge me to fix this error code?

If i tell the dealer this error came up, say, after pulling the battery cable for another reason, and now one of my keys no longer works, will (should) they reprogram it for free?

Thanks for your responses.

See less See more
#4 ·
I just love how you think that the dealer should be responsible for anything.Sure go play dumb.Stop being a typical mooch and tell the truth.

#5 ·
GMCSonoma said:
I thought there were 4 systems now...the PassKey+, PassKeycircle-plus, PassKey3 & PassKey3+. Strange, so long as the logos embossed are EXACTLY the same, should work. Very Strange...
According to the manual, the new impala uses the PassKey3+ system, which is what i have the key for.

73ChevelleSS said:
I just love how you think that the dealer should be responsible for anything.Sure go play dumb.Stop being a typical mooch and tell the truth.
I'll take whatever i can get now, like i won't get
in the end for something else.

#6 ·
What GM says:

Adding Keys (Domestic)

Important:
To initiate, this procedures requires that a learned master key be available.
A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.
This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

1. <LI type=1>With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. <LI type=1>Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
  2. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

#7 · (Edited)

Also found this:

Subject:Intermittent No Start or No Crank - keywords circle deterrent Mobile passkey PK3 PK3+ plus security Speedpass theft vehicle VTD #PIC3919 - (02/13/2006)

Models:2005-2006 Buick LaCrosse and Allure (Canada Only)
2006 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo
2000-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Vehicles equipped with passkey III (PK3) may exhibit a no start or no crank condition if the owner has a Mobil Speedpass, a key with a transponder from another vehicle, or similar radio frequency sensing device on the key ring. The concern may be intermittent. If the Speedpass or the other key is too close to the PK3 module it could interfere with or disrupt the signal and cause a theft tamper mode to be enabled.
Recommendation/Instructions:

The Mobil Speedpass, a key with a transponder from another vehicle, or similar radio frequency sensing device either has to be removed from the key ring or a second key ring can be added to the first so that the other radio frequency sensing device is distanced from the ignition lock cylinder.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#9 ·
I ran across this same problem on a stock unit on a Pontiac grand prix.
only had one key and tried everything and the key would not program and set theft codes call TAC ( tech. assistance center) found out through them that on the Grand Prix and Monte Carlo they use the older style key a PK3 key not a Circle + key I got an older key and it programmed right away , the TAC guy told me that it is due to 2 diffrent company's making the theft systems the old ones were Delphi and the new ones are made by Seminems.
and the keys are not interchangeable.

#10 ·
Well, like i said - the original i have has the circle-plus, but the one i bought has a smaller circle-plus. I'm going to stop by a local dealer this afternoon to see if they can do anything about it. WIll report back.

Oh, BTW, I tried it again after moving my EZPass transmitter away from the front of the vehicle and did no better...

#12 ·
I didn't get to the dealer yesterday, and can't today, but i was able to reset the DIC by pulling the - cable. I then tried the programming instructions and got nowhere.

Sonoma - I'm heading home shortly and will check, but i think that was the same number printed on the packaging. Does the retail cost include cutting & programming? Probably not, huh?

#13 ·
BuffaloSS said:
I didn't get to the dealer yesterday, and can't today, but i was able to reset the DIC by pulling the - cable. I then tried the programming instructions and got nowhere.

Sonoma - I'm heading home shortly and will check, but i think that was the same number printed on the packaging. Does the retail cost include cutting & programming? Probably not, huh?
It does at my dealership!

#14 · (Edited)
Well, as i've been so extremely busy that i haven't made it to the dealer for my many issues, i checked the GM service calibration site while looking up a problem for someone else...ran my VIN...and whattaya know? ?There's an updated calibration to fix a problem with learning new passkeys.

Now, to just find time to make it to the dealer...:rolleyes:

There are three possible fixes:

p/n 15845230 - CVN 00009AF0 - New software to correct issue with relearning blank keys

p/n 16004103 - CVN n/a - Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn, ECM or PK3 Replaced.

p/n 16004132 - CNV n/a - Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn for learning replacement keys

Oh! I forgot...For comparison purposes, here's the packaging mine came in...

#15 ·
That'll teach me to procrastinate...

My daughter lost my ONLY good key so i had to get her towed to the dealer (the car, not the daughter ;) ). They say it's a bad Theft Deterrent Module, yet 2 days later i still have no car (well, cept a loaner).

Since shes in there for a while anyway, i've pulled out my laundry list of issues, including warped rotors and 12mpg.

#16 ·
BuffaloSS said:
That'll teach me to procrastinate...

My daughter lost my ONLY good key so i had to get her towed to the dealer (the car, not the daughter ;) ). They say it's a bad Theft Deterrent Module, yet 2 days later i still have no car (well, cept a loaner).

Since shes in there for a while anyway, i've pulled out my laundry list of issues, including warped rotors and 12mpg.
The are gonna warranty evrything?If you lost all the keys you have to replace the theft module.It is not like it is "bad'.You should be kissing the dealer's you know what for taking care of this under warranty.

#17 · (Edited)
Everything is warrantied. I'm assuming that b/c the TDM was problematic anyway (wouldn't learn new keys and they had a reprogram for it already). I did not know the TDM required replacement b/c of this though...thanks for the info. [EDIT: Thinking more about it, that makes no sense. Why is there a procedure for learning "replacement" keys, then?]

...THAT WAS FRIDAY!...here i am on Wednesday still with a loaner!

First they reprogrammed all computer systems to no avail...then they replaced the Theft Deterrent Module which did nothing...then they replaced the ECM (why, i dunno)...and now it's the BCM that they're replacing. WTF happened here? I'll report once i've gotten her back.

While she's in there, though, i've got them doing the brakes (although they won't take my word on it, so their waiting until they can start the car to test drive it to see how badly the rotors are warped). I know the rears are toast, b/c i could feel the rubbing when i did the tire rotation at 5500mi, and with the amoung of pulsation, i gotta believe the fronts are too (car will pulsate and shake your fillings out when slowing from 80mph). I'm at 7500mi or so now.

I know they won't be able to "look into" the 12mpg issue now, b/c of all the necessary reprograms and whatnot, they'll say "drive it for 1000 miles and then check your mileage."

Oh, and BTW - if you lose your keys and think of calling AAA for locksmith service, you'll be coming out of pocket with $100 on top of the $100 AAA will cover (for "Plus" members...basic members are only covered to $50, i think, so you'd need $150)...and the car was OPEN so they didn't need to "break in" to make the new key. I knew it wouldn't help me (b/c of my car's learning disability) so i opted to NOT have AAA come to make a new key, but they DID tow me in the AM.

#18 ·
Well, got the car back yesterday. They replaced the Theft Deterrent Module, and then got a couple codes, and then they replaced the PCM (not the BCM)....and that finally fixed the problem. They claim to have updated the programs for all systems, but who really knows. The stack of paperwork was quite thick, and the Service Mgr said he needed some time to get it all together and would send me the necessary stuff in the mail.

#20 ·
Wow! All this useless crap for an ignition key. Why even have the key? Use a number coded touch pad. Or get rid of the whole deal and hardwire a standard switch where the key is the security system. This stuff is getting out of control, it's just a car. Anyway it is nice to see the dealer going above and beyond to get you fixed up. Rare these days from what I've seen.

#21 ·
BuffaloSS said:
Well, got the car back yesterday. They replaced the Theft Deterrent Module, and then got a couple codes, and then they replaced the PCM (not the BCM)....and that finally fixed the problem. They claim to have updated the programs for all systems, but who really knows. The stack of paperwork was quite thick, and the Service Mgr said he needed some time to get it all together and would send me the necessary stuff in the mail.
Who knows maybe a new PCM and all the updates may help with the 12mpg problem, stranger things have happened before.

#22 ·
If you have two original keys, which you should have, plus the new pk3.
Go to hardware store or locksmith and have it cut.

1. Insert the first original key into ignition, turn to on, but don't start engine.
2. Leave on for about 5 seconds.
3. Remove
4. Insert second original key. Turn to on, but don't start engine.
5. Leave on for about 5 seconds.
6. Remove
7. Insert new pk3 key into ignition, turn to on, but don't start engine.
Leave on for about 15 seconds. Start engine.

Price: you can choose amount. Donation to my paypal account. Donate

#23 ·
It was probably a bogus key to start with. I wouldn't trust ebay. Ran into that problem with keyfobs and pk3 keys purchased in authentic packages like that.

Glad you got it fixed though!

#24 · (Edited)
Thanx for the info on reprogramming the pass-key....will certainly try it when my new key arrives.My girlfriend wanted a pink key for the SS so i hope all goes well for the key in the 2006 SS Tire Wheel Vehicle Alloy wheel Land vehicle
The 06 looks great with her new set of 2008 chrome wheels....had to buy them one at a time to get a full set of these rare wheels

#26 ·
06 Grand Prix v6 base: Have a similar issue can't find where to post please help me. Ok we'll I have noticed that I have a weak/bad battery and today it wouldn't even try to turn over no click or stutter. No radio so I tighten terminals and added water as it was very low. Now have power but says starting disabled due to theft system so I followed the relearn process but the Telltale light never goes off not after 10 mins or 15 so trying to figure out where to go next I really appreciate any help here as I don't mind taking to shop but like to know what cost I will be looking at thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.