Problem of aluminum wheels sticking to brakes????

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem of aluminum wheels sticking to brakes????

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Aries's Avatar
    Thanks

Problem of aluminum wheels sticking to brakes????

Does any one know how to prevent aluminum wheels from sticking to the face of the brake rotor (mounting portion).

I had a problem this fall when I had to swap my summer wheels/tires for my winter rims/tires. The aluminum wheels were stuck on so bad even hitting the tire with a LARGE rubber malet wouldn't free them up. Finaly had to leave lug nut on loose and lower car to the floor and drive it forward and backwards (just lowering did not work) a few times before the wheels loosened off. Never have a problem removing steel wheels. I have had this problem on any car I have owned with alloy wheels but never this bad.

Dealer suggested I use some silicone spray, but not too much to avoid fouling the brake pads (something about lack of braking ). Also another suggestion by a neighbour who is a mechanic at a Ford dealership is to try to put some vinyl with one sided tape on to the face where the wheel make contact and this will prevent the bonding effect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Personal Vehicles:
    '10 VW Tourage TDI (mine)
    '11 Audi Q7 TDI (wife's)
    '10 Mazda Miata (wife's)
    '68 Firebird LS1-6spd (weekend cruser)
    '10 KTM 530 EXC-R dual sport
    '11 Triumph Scrambler w/hack

Company Vehicles:
    '11 Mercedes Sprinter (work truck to pay the bills)
    '12 Nissan Frontier (extend a cab 4 cyl. - employee driven) x 3

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Problem of aluminum wheels sticking to brakes????

Go to an auto parts store and buy some antisieze.The stuff Permatex sells works just fine.After removing the wheels off the car,just spread some around the rotor/wheel hub.If you do this every time you remove your wheels they will not get stuck.The reason you need to do this with aluminum wheels is you have 2 differnet metals touching.
    Last edited by 73ChevelleSS; 02-16-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Problem of aluminum wheels sticking to brakes????

I've had the same problem with steel wheels as well. Typically this only happens if the wheel has been mounted "too long" eg a couple of years.

I've had surprising success with squirting some diesel fuel around the back of the face...

In regards to the wheels, I have only had it once with an alloy wheel, but never with my many others...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information