Is it possible to bore the 5.3 (96mm) to an LS1/6.0 (101.6mm) 4 inch bore?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it possible to bore the 5.3 (96mm) to an LS1/6.0 (101.6mm) 4 inch bore?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Is it possible to bore the 5.3 (96mm) to an LS1/6.0 (101.6mm) 4 inch bore?

Hello, I have a 5.3 Vortec motor and these blocks are everywhere, I've heard of putting in 4.8 pistons to increase compression in the 5.3, but I found a 5.3 block with a destroyed crank and pistons, is it possible to bore out this block and buy 350 (101.6mm 4 inch) pistons???? or where can I find 96mm pistons that are not expensive? the 350 bore is the option I like more since there's many companies that make pistons for a 350 bore. But I like the challenge and fuel economy of this 5.3, I know with cam and etc it won't make as good fuel economy, but a 10.1 ratio sounds nice to me. I want to see where this engine can go and if I can find reasonable pistons, anybody know of any for it??? then it's definetly worth diving into.

So my question is: Can you bore a 5.3 to a LS1, 6.0, 350, 327 bore?
    (I listed all those motors because their bore is the same 4 inches)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Is it possible to bore the 5.3 (96mm) to an LS1/6.0 (101.6mm) 4 inch bore?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy68camaro View Post
    Hello, I have a 5.3 Vortec motor and these blocks are everywhere, I've heard of putting in 4.8 pistons to increase compression in the 5.3, but I found a 5.3 block with a destroyed crank and pistons, is it possible to bore out this block and buy 350 (101.6mm 4 inch) pistons???? or where can I find 96mm pistons that are not expensive? the 350 bore is the option I like more since there's many companies that make pistons for a 350 bore. But I like the challenge and fuel economy of this 5.3, I know with cam and etc it won't make as good fuel economy, but a 10.1 ratio sounds nice to me. I want to see where this engine can go and if I can find reasonable pistons, anybody know of any for it??? then it's definetly worth diving into.

So my question is: Can you bore a 5.3 to a LS1, 6.0, 350, 327 bore?
    (I listed all those motors because their bore is the same 4 inches)
    I've read in Car Craft (although I can't seem to remember the issue) that people have had trouble boring and sleeving the 5.3's, and that its better to just start off with the bigger bore of the 6.0s and 6.2s. And the LS1 actually has a 3.9" bore.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

454 is correct, the LS1 has a 3.9-inch bore, and while you can bore iron block 5.3Ls to 3.9 inches pretty safely from what I've read, you're better off starting with a 4-inch block. On the other hand, you can make over 500hp with a stock-bore 5.3L, so don't count them out. Check out summit racing, they have pistons for a .030 over 5.3L, Federal Mogul ZH856CP75MM

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! awesome!!!!! I have another question. I pulled off the heads and read on the internet that they are 61cc chambers, 1 has minor damage and I was wondering if I get it milled down, will that affect air/gas flow into the motor, because the vortec motors have that special design to make the air/gas swirl into the combustion chamber. Will milling the heads hurt this?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I see, hmm... then maybe I should go with the 6.0 block if I find one for a good price. Can you make that 500hp with the 5.3 without shooting Nas or supercharging/turbo ing the motor? probably better i go 6.0 for more valve clearance. About how much is a rebuilt kit for a 6.0 block. Just gaskets, rod bearings and oil pump?
    Shake N' Bake

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy68camaro View Post
    I see, hmm... then maybe I should go with the 6.0 block if I find one for a good price. Can you make that 500hp with the 5.3 without shooting Nas or supercharging/turbo ing the motor? probably better i go 6.0 for more valve clearance. About how much is a rebuilt kit for a 6.0 block. Just gaskets, rod bearings and oil pump?
    5.3s do quite well with head and cam swaps. Check out Car Craft and see what they were able to do with an old truck engine:
    http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ine/index.html

96hp with just a cam swap, that's nothing to sneeze at.
    Last edited by Slideways; 04-12-2010 at 03:28 AM.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

aha,lol, I forgot i read that one a while back. Hmmmm, then it definetly is possible, how much would cutting the seats for bigger valves cost? going from those 1.89s to 1.94s? cuz they did that, but maybe i can go from 1.89s to 2.00s and get more flow
    Shake N' Bake

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information