GM Inside News Forum banner

Positive battery terminal corroded right off

17K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  likearock00 
#1 ·
Went to start the Impala(05) tonight, and I turn the key and nothing, but the gauges, dash, speakers and under the hood make a bunch of clicking and humming noises, even after I remove the key.

Car never gave any trouble since I bought it, but regardless I grab the volt meter and..... 0.17 volts. Had no idea how I could have done that. The noises don't stop so I decided to disconnect the battery because I was concerned that it may be damaging something.

Unbolt the neg cable first of course (side post, the AC Delco OE batteries have no top post) and when I go to unbolt the pos side, I put the wrench on and the terminal falls out....

Good thing I have 2 cars, I have to work at 8 tomorrow. All is solved, I'll grab another battery on my way home.

But to the point of this story, personally I've never heard of a battery terminal rusting right out, is this something that happens from time to time? White funk o nthe post is one thing, but this bolt had rusted so the point of simply falling off. Thank god it happened in my driveway and didnt leave me stranded 2 hours from home.

#2 ·
That is odd, at least to me (maybe some of techs have seen this before). I've seen corrosion to the point that the connection gets flakey, but not where the post actually fell off. Perhaps you had a defective battery? Is it still under warranty? I'd take it in if it was.

#3 ·
Almost a weekly occurrence here. The key is to catch it before it gets that far. I would bet the battery tray is full of corrosion. Make sure when you get the new battery to replace the bolt and spacer, and buy some battery acid neutralizer and spray everything down good. If you don't get all the corrosion off of the terminal it will eat it until you need a new cable too.

#5 ·
shadams said:
Almost a weekly occurrence here. The key is to catch it before it gets that far. I would bet the battery tray is full of corrosion. Make sure when you get the new battery to replace the bolt and spacer, and buy some battery acid neutralizer and spray everything down good. If you don't get all the corrosion off of the terminal it will eat it until you need a new cable too.
Word,

I worked for Advance Auto parts and A/C delco batteries are the worst IMO. You have to keep an eye on it and your fine. You neglect, you have this happen.

#7 ·
Well that's bad to hear. Of course I've heard that the last several years Delco stuff has not been what it used to be. For batteries, I use Interstate. I've had very good success with them. Logansowner, if the battery is not under warranty, get an Interstate.

#9 ·
Just had that happen to my Cavalier about 4 months ago. Partly my fault, as I knew that the battery was about to give up the ghost (starting differently added to the fact that it was 7 years old). As was stated earlier, it ate the paint on the pan completely (which was then repainted by moi!). Baking soda is a wonderful thing to get rid of the acid.

#10 ·
The positive battery terminal post on the original Delco battery in my 1999 Corvette (purchased new) began leaking acid and fell out. The acid leak caused considerable damage to items below. The battery was replaced under the new-car warranty and the damage repaired (three trips to Mr. Goodwrench......).

It seems as though leaking side-post Delco batterys are common. GM must be aware of the problem due to so many warranty claims.

Good luck.

#11 ·
Most 07-up vehicles have the new top post batterys, so hopefull this is a thing of the past.

#12 ·
My wife has a 2000 Mazda Protege. A couple of years ago, the car failed to start. I went to check the battery, and the positive connection had a plastic cover over it. I pulled the cover off, and that connection was so bad, I had to put a replacement connector on it! i couldn't believe how bad it was, but I never looked at it becasue it had a cover on it. I know now!!

#14 ·
I bought some stuff you spray on to prevent that stuff - so far it has worked pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.