pontiac sunfire Transmission fluid, please help!!!!!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pontiac sunfire Transmission fluid, please help!!!!!

Walking
    Thanks

pontiac sunfire Transmission fluid, please help!!!!!

I own a 2000 pontiac sunfire 2.2 liter. i need to check the transmission fluid because it has always had a slight leak. there is no dipstick and i have been told by mutiple sources about the plug on the side of the transmission.i know that if you remove this plug, you are to wait until the fluid is level with the bottom of the hole. i am stil extremely confused as to what i am suposed to do. should the car be running with the oil hot? should it be in neutral or park? i should have mentioned that it is an automatic transmission. please help!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: pontiac sunfire Transmission fluid, please help!!!!!

no running car, just unplug transmission housing and add oil

Walking
    Thanks

You must have the vehicle running to check the fluid level.
    Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached 104 degrees F.
    Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
    The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.
    Caution: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
    Remove the transmission plug.
    If necessary, use a small screwdriver as a dipstick.

Walking
    Thanks

thanks alot, that sounds about right because i pulled the plug when the engine wasnt running and i lost quite a bit before i decided to replace the plug. i will try this next time i can get it on the lift.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information