Please help! Engine trouble with 6.0 vortec

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help! Engine trouble with 6.0 vortec

Walking
    Thanks

Please help! Engine trouble with 6.0 vortec

While driving my 2500 HD home, engine began skipping and stalled after about 10 seconds. I shut the engine off and then turned the key back on and noticed the message said "low oil pressure". I checked the oil and it is full so I believe that the oil pump has gone out or the filter has collapsed. Engine will spin over and with a little throttle, will run but very rough and then stall. Oil pressure only about 10 psi during these very short runs. I am trying to determine whats causing the engine to run so rough. I am thinking it may be a lifter that lost lubrication or something with the valve train. Any suggestions before I snatch the engine out?? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Please help! Engine trouble with 6.0 vortec

we had a similar problem with a 6.0 that we put in a 5.3 truck and the 6.0 has an oil cooler that the 5.3 does not have. This line goes to the back of the block and oils the lifters. So if there's a problem with this oil cooler, like a clog or a hole in the line, then it will not get good oil pressure and possibly lose oil.

The other possibility is that it might be a bad oil pump.

And the 3rd possibility is that the strainer for the oil pump is clogged. We had an excursion and it had high mileage and the previous owner did not do many oil changes, when you change the oil after this, a lot of the sludge from the old oil can get clogged in the strainer for the oil pump, this will cause your oil pressure to go high and low, kinda makes it look like the gauge is malfunctioning. And that will be because the strainer lets some oil pass then gets clogged again
    Shake N' Bake

Walking
    Thanks

I removed the intake, lifter valley cover and valve covers and the top end is unusually dry. I also removed the oil filter and spun the engine over. Oil will pump out the filter adapter quite rapidly. This makes me think the filter may be clogged (its a cheap filter that one of the franchise oil change shops use). I am going to pick up a new filter and see if it will pump oil up t0 the top end. Still not sure why the truck was running so rough?? All of the rockers seem to be operating correctly. Is it possible to wipe a lobe from a roller cam or could one or more of the lifters be damaged due to lack of oil??

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I was always told oil pressure wasn't so important on these engines, it was the volume. I think there was a TSB saying the pressure could go below 10psi at idle.

I'd scan the thing for codes before proceeding.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Year, Miles ?????????????????????

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I would first make sure ur putting 6 quarts in, because that can also cause the problem here. But it takes motors like 150 to like 300 thousand miles to whipe out the lobes on a cam. Depending how the engine's treated. It's usually at the end of the motors lifetime when the cam lobes are worn. So it won't mess up the lobes that fast, they're made to run against the lifters constantly. And it's a roller cam in those trucks, so it's even less friction. I'm thinking it could be the filter possibly, but check that line that runs to the lifters, I haven't look at the block myself, but I was told there was 2 lines in the block on the 6.0, one that runs to the oil cooler and then a return line. The return oil line goes to where the lifters are and oils the lifters, so if these lines get plugged up you will lack oil pressure and the lifters will not be oiled causing the motor to sound funny and not run right.

If it is not this, there's the other 2 possibilities, a bad oil pump. or (the pick-up or aka oil strainer) is located in the oil pan. In older chevy V8s the oil strainer is directly attached to the oil pump and they are both in the oil pan. But in these vortec motors they put the oil pump in the front of the block near the timing chain and the strainer/oil pick up tube inside the oil pan. If this strainer is not reaching the level the oil is at, then it will not pick up oil and this would explain your oil pressure loss. Sometimes this problem happens when somebody opens the oil pan to mess with something and accidently moves the pick up tube. A bad pick up tube can also do this, if there is a hole in it, it will not work right and not pull the oil as well.

Before you do anything more, be 100% sure ur oil pan has those 6 quarts, cuz that'll explain a lot if it doesn't.

And it's supposed to pump out the filter quickly, don't run it without the filter man! lol, thats not good, it's like if there was a cap at the bottom of your radiator and you ran with it loose. lol. Don't let the oil get out of the motor, you can start it without valve covers, but you lose a little oil, without the filter is bad.

If you fix the problem, don't worry about the lifters so much, if they lack oil and are not opening, after you fix the oil problem, running the truck a while should get oil back in the lifters and get rid of the noise, if it doesn't go away the lifter has gone bad and is stuck. One lifter won't keep it from running though, because you have 16, on a V8 your engine will start with 7 cylinders and can run with as little as 6 (very rough of course) and I don't recommend trying it, lol. Maybe even 5, but 6 I know for sure, lol.

What you should be more concerned about is the rod bearings at the bottom of the motor. If they lack oil they can wear down quickly and you might throw a rod or start hearing a knock. Now I've been in a chevelle that we busted 2 rocker arms, like completely destroyed them and popped out 1 or 2 lifters out of where they go and that motor sounded like it was knocking hardcore, but then next day we realized it was just the sound of the valve train. We fixed the problem and there's no knock. So the sound could be anything from lifter to rod bearings or rod, depending how bad it sounds.

And how many miles are on this truck?
    Shake N' Bake

Walking
    Thanks

I did a compression test with the engine out and all but one cylinder checked out to specs. I removed the head and pulled the lifters. On the cylinder with the lower compression, the lifters were bled down. I could literally compress them with my pinky finger. At this point I believe the bled lifters were causing the skipping and rough running. My plan is to install new lifters and a new oil pump. The cylinders look great and the inside of the engine is clean. By the way its an 04 2500HD with 105k miles.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

a bad lifter would explain a lot, that sounds like it
    Shake N' Bake

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy68camaro View Post
    a bad lifter would explain a lot, that sounds like it
    i have a 2005 silverado hd with with 6.0 at my shop and it came in with low oil pressure 0 at idle after idling for apx 10 min.
    The dealer installed a new oil pump and charged him a a $1000.00 and told him the the oil pressure was within spec.???????
    He brought it to us to have it rechecked. we ended up pulling the engine and disasembled it and found that # 3 cam bearing had spun in its bore and came out.

what is weard about this engine is the it only has 59k miles and has only had mobil 1 oil changes every 3k miles

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information