performance upgrades for 3.4L

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: performance upgrades for 3.4L

Walking
    Thanks

performance upgrades for 3.4L

hello all,
    i have a 04 monte carlo ls with the 3.4L engine and im looking to do some performance upgrades but i cant find anything for it. i went to my chevy dealer and the only thing he had for the engine is a drop-in k&n filter, i cant even get a cold air for it(i guess the model for the 3.8 wont work with my engine). ive also tried to find aftermarket superchargers, with no luck. ive read on here to not use the hypertech programmer, so now im at a loss. im a metal worker but i really dont want to go and custom make everything for this engine(intake, headers, exhaust,ect...). do you all know of any sites or companies that make products for this engine? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Re: performance upgrades for 3.4L

http://60degreev6.com/discussion/portal.php
    http://www.naioa.com/v2/
    www.mymonte.com
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...mber=SS-Impala
    http://newimpala.com/portal/
    http://www.slponline.com/main.asp

In my experience, dealers don't know anything that's not by the book by VIN or by part number. That is about the last place to look. The above sites should get you started. I just put in the NAIOA fender well intake, that and the U bend delete should get you started for about $250. Good luck,
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 05-23-2006 at 10:34 AM.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

:: 2007 Ford Mustang GT ::

Steeda CMCV Delete Plates
    Bamachips Race Tune
    Diablosport Predator
    Hurst Short Shifter
    Pypes O/R X-pipe
    C&L Racer Intake
    3.55 Axle Ratio
    Steeda UDP

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weldorj81 View Post
    hello all,
    i have a 04 monte carlo ls with the 3.4L engine and im looking to do some performance upgrades but i cant find anything for it. i went to my chevy dealer and the only thing he had for the engine is a drop-in k&n filter, i cant even get a cold air for it(i guess the model for the 3.8 wont work with my engine). ive also tried to find aftermarket superchargers, with no luck. ive read on here to not use the hypertech programmer, so now im at a loss. im a metal worker but i really dont want to go and custom make everything for this engine(intake, headers, exhaust,ect...). do you all know of any sites or companies that make products for this engine? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hey i have a 00 montecarlo ls 3.4 in reply to your questions there is alot u can do with it my car last Dyno'd at 457HP to acheve this yor gonna halv to get your hands dirty High comprression pistons cam lifters injectors. BUT you can get some serious hp wiuth the stock motor youcan use the 3.8 intake there is no diffrent the 3.4 and the 3.8 ar the same diffrent boar and stroke but other then that it's the same. u can bolt on a supercharger but go wiuth a BIGGER pulley insted of the smaller one anything for the 3.8 can go to the 3.4 like i said its the same damn thing hope this helps you man good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00MonteCarlo View Post
    Hey i have a 00 montecarlo ls 3.4 in reply to your questions there is alot u can do with it my car last Dyno'd at 457HP to acheve this yor gonna halv to get your hands dirty High comprression pistons cam lifters injectors. BUT you can get some serious hp wiuth the stock motor youcan use the 3.8 intake there is no diffrent the 3.4 and the 3.8 ar the same diffrent boar and stroke but other then that it's the same. u can bolt on a supercharger but go wiuth a BIGGER pulley insted of the smaller one anything for the 3.8 can go to the 3.4 like i said its the same damn thing hope this helps you man good luck.
    ^^^ umm, the 3800's and the 3400's are not the same, at all... The M90 or M112 supercharger will not bolt onto the 3400 either.

Unless you plan on doing a full build, you're limited to working with what you have, and what you can get cheaply... if you have the tools, you can port and polish your intake and exhaust manifolds, and port match your heads... After that, you could add a catback and a cold air intake, and thats about as far as you can go without rebuilding the motor from the ground up... At that point, you should just get a setup from a Supercharged SS , much better performer, MUCH larger aftermarket (big support for the L67)... Otherwise, proper forced induction kits for 60 degree motors are few and far between, and tend to result in extensive reporogramming (something that you may not be comfortable with)

LAMRONH's posted links are very good sources of information, and can help you get started

Thanks

Walking
    Thanks

Heys guys I just bought my first Firebird tonight. Its a 94 with the 3.4L V6. It has a flowmaster dual exhaust on it. I was thinking of just getting a cold air intake for it. Will this give me any noticeable acceleration?

Walking
    Thanks

zz performance is a really good site but my personal opinion on the 3.4 from someone that owned a 99 grand am is to sell it and go get a 3.8 its a all around better motor and has alot more potental in it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyleag89 View Post
    Heys guys I just bought my first Firebird tonight. Its a 94 with the 3.4L V6. It has a flowmaster dual exhaust on it. I was thinking of just getting a cold air intake for it. Will this give me any noticeable acceleration?
    Your 3.4 is different than the ones stated above. You will see a slight increase in power, but nothing noticeable. The BIGGEST drawbacks to those 3.4PR motors are the upper intake and the heads. Simply put, there's no power in them, as you would most likely max out around 180-190 with bolt ons, but no more. Look up a 'Truleo' intake if you actually want to spend some time with that motor, they make pretty good intakes for 2.8 Fiero V6's and 3.4 Camaro V6's, as they share the same heads and very similar top end (I wouldn't, since LT1's are cheap enough now, and would give you more than what you are looking for).

Thanks

The 3.4L is not a good performance engine
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BryceStrong's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, you're in luck (if you even visit this forum anymore). I have a TA34/T04E TEC turbo that I had built for the 3400 in my Grand Am. Still in it's wrapping and sitting in my desk, patiently waiting for a buyer. I saved up for it through high school but never had it installed.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

No.

You will have to start it, put it in gear, and nail it to get noticeable acceleration.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Swap it out with an L67
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks

www.firebirdv6.com

I've never quite understood the reasoning of buying a vehicle that is completely out of the loop performance wise and then wondering why there is nothing available to fix it up.

Good luck 3.4 owners.
    Current: '08 G8 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'02 Camaro SS
    Past: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

www.fquick.com/demonspeed

Walking
    Thanks

Does anyone know if I could just replace the entire engine from my 94 Firebird with one from a 2003 Monte Carlo without replacing the ecm or the wiring harness?

Firebird has a 3.4 V6 Stock

Monte Carlo has a 3.4 V6 but it's called the 3400. I know they are very similar, but will it work?

Thanks,
    Dallas

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information