Mysteriously stalling 98 bonneville ssei

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mysteriously stalling 98 bonneville ssei

Walking
    Thanks

Mysteriously stalling 98 bonneville ssei

Hello,

I just bought this used 1998 Bonneveille SSEi with 100k miles. So far the car runs great. The only obvious problems are the front struts needing to be replaced which is very expensive because of their computer controlled design. Other than that, this car is my most favorite vehicle i've owned.

I've owned the car for two months and it randomely stalls out while driving down the road. I've noticed it usually happens at low rpm, mostly with my foot off the gas and coasting. Suddenly the engine dies, i put it in nuetral and guide it to a safe spot on the side of the road. The power stays on and I can try to crank it over but it just sounds like its out of gas and never catches. It will sputter a bit but then I usually just wait for 3-5 minutes and it will start right up as if nothing happened.

I took the gar to a garage and left it with them today. They had three different mechanics drive it around and even left it running outisde for awhile. It never stalled on them. They checked out the fuel pump and module that controls it but didn't find anything wrong there.

I've deduced that this problem is fuel related and I have been using 87 octane so I wonder if the car being supercharged needs a higher octane.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Mysteriously stalling 98 bonneville ssei

You might be able to replace the struts with non-electronic units, if you don't mind giving up the automatic ride control. I know this could be done with some 90s Cadillacs; IIRC the regular struts bolted right in, and a wire had to be cut to prevent the suspension computer from complaining.

I'm not familiar enough with those cars to give you much advice on the stalling issue, but it does seem ignition-related (coil pack, crank/cam sensor, etc.). Has the shop checked to see if the engine computer stored any codes? I'd be surprised if it didn't.

As for the fuel, that engine does require premium. 87 octane can cause pinging and spark knock, which can cause damage over time. However it will not make the car randomly stall.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

I'd throw a crank position sensor @ it first and go from there...

That's my guess here.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

something like that was happening to my friends 98 cavalier. she would be at a light and would start to go and the car would shut off. it did it about 18 times befor i told her to get it to a chevy dealer. they brought it in and it ended up being the alarm system needed a reflash.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

It could be any one of a number of things. It's near impossible to diagnose over the internet but other possibilities are bad wires or coil pack. The TCC solenoid also might not be unlocking.

I would tend to think it was fuel related also. The wrong octane wouldn't cause that problem (although you should use the correct octane because it will cause other long term problems). I take it the mechanics checked the fuel pressures and volume of fuel that is being pumped?

Walking
    Thanks

Thank you all for your responses.

Since I posted this I put a full tank of 89 octane in it and drove around all weekend without it stalling once. The check engine light came on yesterday and I took it to auto zone where they explained the error code was for a bad oxygen sensor. However, there are two sensors and they couldn't tell me which one was actually bad. I think my next step is to take it to a GM dealership and see what they say.

The search for answers continues...

Walking
    Thanks

Finally I took this car in to a GM dealership. They mentioned a lot of things they thought could be the problem. Thankfully, with the help of the internet I narrowed down the one common denominator. The Crankshaft Position Sensor. I found a lot of forums where people talked about stalling problems solved by replacing that sensor.

So I paid the 360 dollars. Now the car runs great and hasn't stalled once.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm glad that has taken care of your issue!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma View Post
    I'm glad that has taken care of your issue!!!
    Hey you called it! had to replace one on my car also(Z). Those things aren't cheap.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information