My truck has the infamous 5.3L oil consumption problem. - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My truck has the infamous 5.3L oil consumption problem.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My truck has the infamous 5.3L oil consumption problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    T
    be glad yours doesnt knock, see a few in for that problem as well, or misfires. camshaft failure, lifters, etc...

the engines were great until they added AFM to them. since then it has created nothing but problems. and it doesnt just affect the trucks. its across the line, W body, S/T, C/K, etc....
    I knew it was AFM! I haven't had any engine knock whatsoever. Guess I'll lookout for it now.

When the warranty is up, I'm going to try to figure out how to cut off the AFM.

I am about to make a 600 mile trip in it next weekend, so AFM will be burning away. I'm not supposed to put oil in it until I return to the dealer with 2,000 miles (or when the light comes on).

Gotta say, the dealer that is taking care of me is doing a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
    Why would it be? AFM sucks but the LS engines are probably among the 2 or 3 best engines produced on the planet. I regularly see them with 300,000 plus miles on them and still going strong.
    With the way things are going lately (new house, wedding expenses, etc...), I'll need this truck to run for another 2 years at least. I have about 90,000 miles on it now. The engine was the last thing I ever thought would cause trouble. I have had terrible luck with this truck.

My fiance has to drive me back and forth to the mechanic in her PT Cruiser. I regret making fun of her dorky little car now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post

Turns out, it had burned over 2 quarters since the last oil change there about 4,000 miles before. The dealer is now doing an "oil consumption test" to determine if my truck needs a repair. I am supposed to check back when them after 2,000 miles or when my oil light comes on again. They did a great job looking for this. I knew my truck burned oil, but it has been getting worse lately.

A google search indicates that this is a widespread problem. What fixes are in? Do they disable the AFM? I have a sneaking suspicion that the AFM is the problem, as my truck has been known to burn oil during highway jaunts....it just never had this big of an appetite for Mobile 1 synthetic before.
    Go here - nose around, get informed ( including by people with your same engine situation ), buy the product, use it per instructions, and motor on.

- and they'll give you good info on your options on 'how to go' after you get the motor straightened out.

http://www.auto-rx.com/
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VMax2007 View Post
    You need a custom tune or a handheld programmer (some handhelds do it, some don't).

Price ranges anywhere from $300-$500.

But there are also many other benefits to a custom tune.

I'd contact Justin at www.blackbearperformance.com
    Thanks, VMax. I'll shoot them an email and see what they recommend.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    How expensive is it to turn off the AFM to stop the oil consumption? I have the same issue in my Yukon XL, but keep telling myself that the $4/qt for oil every 3200 miles is the cheaper, easier route.
    The oil is probably cheaper than the extra gasoline, and you can just prolong your oil change interval to suit the "fresh" oil addition for a zero net cost Does the oil consumption go down if you do a few "Italian Tuneups"?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

A quart every 2k sounds better than average to a Northstar owner!

The LSx motors were somewhat known to consume oil in the earlier, non-AFM variants. I do remember GM implementing a revised PCV valve for the trucks that was basically a fixed orifice, that helped reduce it. Alternatively the aforementioned catch can (I have one on my LS1) can work well too. But if it's not consumption though the PCV system obviously that's not going to help.

I do recall GM played around with low tension oil rings around '02 or so to help free up a few HP but with the trade-off of higher consumption, though I believe that was only on the high performance motors.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VMax2007's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    The oil is probably cheaper than the extra gasoline, and you can just prolong your oil change interval to suit the "fresh" oil addition for a zero net cost Does the oil consumption go down if you do a few "Italian Tuneups"?
    What extra gasoline?

AFM saves ZERO fuel in these 5000lb bricks. I know, I have tested it several times.

The ONLY way you will possibly see a slight MPG improvement is if you regularly drive on the freeway, empty and you keep it under 65 MPH.

Oil consumption does far more harm than just wasting oil. It will destroy your catalytic converters and hose up your O2 sensors...making your engine run much worse and less efficiently.
    Last edited by VMax2007; 10-31-2011 at 11:45 AM.

2007 GMC Sierra SLT CrewCab VortecMax 6.0, 3.73's
    BlackBear Performance Tuned

2008 Corvette Z51, MN6, NPP w/M2W Remote
    BlackBear Performance Tuned
    Halltech Killer Bee CAI
    MGW Short-Throw Shifter

2011 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (Wife's ride).
    1998 Buick LeSabre (Daughter's ride).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

If anyone does they finally have a fix

#10-06-01-008A: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) ( Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder) - (Sep 28, 2010)

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)

with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Condition/Cause/Correction sections, add 4WD labor time and add information about replacement of spark plugs if necessary. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
    Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart. If these conditions are met and oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart, perform the service indicated in this bulletin.

Cause
    This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

Correction
    To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install a shield over the AFM pressure relief valve per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels. If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.

Important: It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.
    Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).
    Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.
    Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.

Remove the AFM valve (1).

Install the new shield (1), GM P/N 12639759, and tighten the AFM valve to the oil pan to 28 N·m (20 lb ft).
    Important: Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.

Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.
    Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket if necessary. Refer to the parts catalog. Replace the engine oil if necessary.
    Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.
    Parts Information
    Part Number
    Description
    Qty

DEFLECTOR-OIL PRESS RLF VLV (quantity of 3 per order)

88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804)
    CLEANER, F/INJR 16 OZ LIQUID POUR (Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner)

3 -

Like I said, assuming it isn't a pcv problem etc, rather than go thru all this unnecessary agony for a slightly dirty ring set just go get the Auto -Rx, use it and then get correctly picky about your oil and fuel selections thereafter.

Or just use the Rx maintenance dose thereafter.

I missed you are at only 1Q per 2,000 miles the first time - which besides being a minimal none problem to begin with, suggests strongly all you got to do is the Auto Rx - and that you will also be very happy with the results - including more than just the minor oil consumption going away.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 10-31-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

That is why I got rid of my POS Saab 9-7X 5.3.
    CURRENT RIDES: 2007 Buick Allure CXL & 2008 Chevy Avalanche LTZ

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 Silverado Z71

I too have an oil consumption problem . I change my oil evry 3000 miles and use 6qts of 5w30 Vavoline standard every time. My '05 silverado Z71 has 86k miles and this is the second time in appox 25k miles that i had to add 1.5 - 2qts btween oil changes. There are no signs of leaking underneath the truck or on the concrete. I see no smoke of any type comming from the exhuast. I put approx. 150 hwy miles at 70-75 mph a week. I am concerned the problem is going to get worse and I am considering switching to synthetic before I take to the shop for that issue.

As for the sounds you are experiencing in the front " when you go over bumps in cold wearther " , I too am having a similar type issue. Like you said usually in cold weather when i drive across rough asphault and more so while while turning the wheel. I would describe my noise as a bumping metal to meatal sound and can feel slight vibration through the steering wheel.

I am going to adress this problem when i take my truck in for servicing next week.

Walking
    Thanks

Ok, I too have the oil consumption in an 08 5.3l aluminum block. I bought it used at 112k. I was told it had this issue and it had been "repaired" at 100k by replacing the left valve cover. They said it fixed 90% of them, so I bought it. Dealership did a fresh oil change when I picked it up. 1600 miles later, I'm a qt. & 1/2 low. That's when I started doing research and found your forum. I got a copy of that repair order at 100,434 miles. Check engine light on, engine missing. Repair order states, code PO300 #7 fouled customer has complained of oil consumption. Replace valve cover. It was repaired under warranty. They also replaced all the plugs & wires at customers expense. With all this being said, I called GMC and explained what had happened, so they sent me back to dealership to get another oil change and start oil consumption test. So, that's where we are. I decided to pull that #7 plug today, badly coated with carbon, not to the point to miss, but well on its way. So what do y'all think?

Walking
    Thanks

Dropped my truck off at the dealership, after a lengthy oil consumption test. They are going to replace the pistons & rings and install an AFM valve W/shield. Hopefully this will correct the problem. I will have to pay 25% of the warranty repair.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

Quote Originally Posted by barrybryant29 View Post
    Dropped my truck off at the dealership, after a lengthy oil consumption test. They are going to replace the pistons & rings and install an AFM valve W/shield. Hopefully this will correct the problem. I will have to pay 25% of the warranty repair.
    It sounds like you have one of the better dealers. 25% for an out of warranty repair is a fair deal. If the dealer is willing to go to bat for you, GM typically steps up on this issue. In our Silverado fleet, we only see the excess oil consumption issue in about 20% of them IIRC.

Walking
    Thanks

Got my truck back, new pistons & rings and new shielded AFM valve. I did pay 25% of Warranty RO. I had two bottles of Auto-RX waiting on it. Gonna do two 3000 mile cleanings, then Auto-RX maintenance dose should keep it clean. Oil consumption should be a thing of the past on this truck. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Walking
    Thanks

I'm curious too about you results!
    I've got a 2008 Impala LTZ, with the 3.9l V6...with the AFM of course!

(I bought the car w/ 17,500 mi. on it as a GM-CPO here in Fargo, ND)

I'm enrolled in the oil-consumption test too. It only has 29,000 mi. now, and is using JUST under a QT. per 2,000 miles. Obviously, it ain't gonna get any better!!
    At Interstate speeds...70-80mph, it uses oil faster of course, since oil is being sprayed up much faster/longer. The TSB also states this. It sounds like I'll get at least the initial phase of work done, which is the revised pan-gasket/shield. The staff at this Chevy/Caddy dealer is very nice. They've printed-out all the TSB's that are pertinent to my car, plus all previous work done to it, and also the Carfax report!

Separately, I also got the "famous" Impala rear tire situation fixed, and 2 new Michelin Pilot-Sport A/S-Plus's (MY choice!!) to replace the 2 rear heavily worn (inside edges) Hankook Ventus V4-ES's....for FREE...thru Chevy. At normal retail around town, just the 2 tires are ~~ $550/pr.! The rear spindle-rod holes had to be ground-out to permit proper rear caster alignment.

>>> I wasn't aware when we bought the car that 4 new tires (the Hankook's) were put on as part of the CPO requirements!!!! So in less than a calendar year, A LOT of tread had been scrubbed off!

Faron

Walking
    Thanks

On mine, GM said it had to go through using three quarts before they would go to the next step. Your right, it's not going to heal itself. You should plan a trip or two, so the lion share of your mileage is interstate. I stuck to about 66 mph, beyond that, it won't go into for cylinder mode. Slower if you got a headwind. With your low mileage, the shielded AFM valve & the Auto-RX should stop your consumption.
    Barry

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information