My truck has the infamous 5.3L oil consumption problem.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My truck has the infamous 5.3L oil consumption problem.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

My truck has the infamous 5.3L oil consumption problem.

I actually brought my truck in for service to have the front end checked, as it makes a tremendous amount of racket on cold mornings. Also in for a scheduled transmission flush.

The dealer couldn't diagnose that problem because they left the truck in the shop overnight (and never got cold enough), but the "low engine oil" light came on while they were testing it.

Turns out, it had burned over 2 quarters since the last oil change there about 4,000 miles before. The dealer is now doing an "oil consumption test" to determine if my truck needs a repair. I am supposed to check back when them after 2,000 miles or when my oil light comes on again. They did a great job looking for this. I knew my truck burned oil, but it has been getting worse lately.

A google search indicates that this is a widespread problem. What fixes are in? Do they disable the AFM? I have a sneaking suspicion that the AFM is the problem, as my truck has been known to burn oil during highway jaunts....it just never had this big of an appetite for Mobile 1 synthetic before.

Also, anyone who own a T900 ever hear what sounds like bad bushings up front? It sounds like metal scraping concrete when you go over bumps in cold weather. I'm still on a quest to fix that regardless of the oil problem. It's coming from the upper parts of the suspension on the driver's side...almost like it is right behind the steering wheel.
    Last edited by member12; 10-29-2011 at 07:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Zembonez's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My truck has the infamous 5.3L oil consumption problem.

Welcome to the world of GM AFM. Worst technology ever inflicted on an otherwise absolutely incredible series of engines...

I hope they get you fixed up!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
    Welcome to the world of GM AFM. Worst technology ever inflicted on an otherwise absolutely incredible series of engines...

I hope they get you fixed up!

Is this sarcasm?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

The AFM system is a joke on these engines. we see issues with them on a regular basis. which would be daily. anyways, 2 different fixes. depending on what they do, you will either have the pistons and rings replaced, and possibly have AFM lifters replaced as well, and a new VLOM, and oil deflector installed. or, they will do the piston soaking with Top engine cleaner, and install the oil deflector. more than likely, probably remove engine, replaced rings and pistons. depending on which cylinder(s) is the issue, may need lifters as well. im sure they will replace the VLOM.

oil doesnt have an affect on it, so conventional or synthetic doesnt matter. they burn oil either way. one thing i would do, always change oil every 3000 miles. regardless of oil life monitor. do not follow the oil life monitor. it is inaccurate.

be glad yours doesnt knock, see a few in for that problem as well, or misfires. camshaft failure, lifters, etc...

the engines were great until they added AFM to them. since then it has created nothing but problems. and it doesnt just affect the trucks. its across the line, W body, S/T, C/K, etc....
    Last edited by Triple-X08; 10-29-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VMax2007's Avatar
    Thanks

With AFM on, my truck consumes oil, with it off....not a drop.

AFM sucks!

2007 GMC Sierra SLT CrewCab VortecMax 6.0, 3.73's
    BlackBear Performance Tuned

2008 Corvette Z51, MN6, NPP w/M2W Remote
    Halltech Killer Bee CAI
    MGW Short-Throw Shifter

2011 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (Wife's ride).
    1998 Buick LeSabre (Daughter's ride).

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BigityBalzworth's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't blame them for trying the AFM idea, but even if it was perfect, would you not eventually end up with some seriously uneven compression across the cylinders as the engine gets older?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    be glad yours doesnt knock, see a few in for that problem as well, or misfires. camshaft failure, lifters, etc...
    Ah yes, good ole piston slap.
    Remember the engine replacement program for the 2.8L in the W-Bodies?
    We had rows of replacement crate engines that we replaced, all long blocks.
    Then the early L05 in the Roadmaster had piston slap and some new short blocks made more noise than the engine they replaced.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Zembonez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zythr View Post
    Is this sarcasm?
    Why would it be? AFM sucks but the LS engines are probably among the 2 or 3 best engines produced on the planet. I regularly see them with 300,000 plus miles on them and still going strong.

Thanks

Oil's cheap compared to replacing an engine, less it's still under warranty
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    The AFM system is a joke on these engines. we see issues with them on a regular basis. which would be daily. anyways, 2 different fixes. depending on what they do, you will either have the pistons and rings replaced, and possibly have AFM lifters replaced as well, and a new VLOM, and oil deflector installed. or, they will do the piston soaking with Top engine cleaner, and install the oil deflector. more than likely, probably remove engine, replaced rings and pistons. depending on which cylinder(s) is the issue, may need lifters as well. im sure they will replace the VLOM.

oil doesnt have an affect on it, so conventional or synthetic doesnt matter. they burn oil either way. one thing i would do, always change oil every 3000 miles. regardless of oil life monitor. do not follow the oil life monitor. it is inaccurate.

the engines were great until they added AFM to them. since then it has created nothing but problems. and it doesnt just affect the trucks. its across the line, W body, S/T, C/K, etc....

I have a 2008 Impala LTZ with the 3.9 V-6 and AFM - purchased new. The oil has been changed every 3,000 miles, using synthetic oil and an AC Delco oil filter. The car has 40,xxx miles and is still under the 5 year - 100,000 powertrain warranty. It has not used oil between changes.

I also have a 2011 Impala LTZ with the 3.9 V-6 - purchased new. GM dropped the AFM feature in 2009 from this engine. I have been unable to get a good answer why the feature was dropped.

Can you provide me with any advice on what "watch for" or be aware of with the 2008 Impala with AFM? Other than an oil leak from the front engine cover, which was repaired under the new-car warranty, I have had no problems with the power train.

As a sidenote - the 2008 Impala consistently gets better fuel mileage than the 2011.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Why not install a simple catch can?

I still need to do it on my GTO but its the easiest and simplest way to fix it because the PCV system on the LS motors are pretty much a joke. It just allows the engine to burn the oil especially if you do a lot of coasting.

Thanks

still have problem with my have, the repaired 4 cyclinders, and other things not even 2 months ago all under warranty, replaced pcv valve which I was told causes the problem in oil burning, but only 1 month after repairs oil light is back on, and still no repaired, cold starts terrible, still smoking, and still burning oil, I refuse to pay a dime to the dealer for anything.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Thanks

Unless they prove they fixed the AFM issues with a few years of no reported issues to back it up. I will NOT buy another GM product that has AFM.

The VCM in my Honda so far is 100% seamless and no oil consumption.

Looks like GM got out-engineered once again.

I also will not buy another GM car/truck that requires a custom tune in order to get it to perform as it should.

Are you listening GM?

Halltech Killer Bee CAI
    MGW Short-Throw Shifter

Thanks

How expensive is it to turn off the AFM to stop the oil consumption? I have the same issue in my Yukon XL, but keep telling myself that the $4/qt for oil every 3200 miles is the cheaper, easier route.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    How expensive is it to turn off the AFM to stop the oil consumption? I have the same issue in my Yukon XL, but keep telling myself that the $4/qt for oil every 3200 miles is the cheaper, easier route.
    You need a custom tune or a handheld programmer (some handhelds do it, some don't).

Price ranges anywhere from $300-$500.

But there are also many other benefits to a custom tune.

I'd contact Justin at www.blackbearperformance.com

Halltech Killer Bee CAI
    MGW Short-Throw Shifter

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information