Mom's Aurora Won't Start.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Aurora Won't Start.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

Mom's Aurora Won't Start.

Well, kind of. I was as work and when I got home my brother told me our Mom's 2001 Aurora was towed to our mechanic. He is not open today, so I would like to possibly get an idea of the problem.

As my Mom describes it to me, the car will start, but the shut of within about 15 seconds or so of it starting, and will repeatedly do this. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Mom's Aurora Won't Start.

this is why people buy camrys and accords. this is why oldsmobile was discontinued (because people were buying camrys and accords instead), and this is why im sure your mom will buy a camry or accord or another import when she makes her next car purchase.

THIS IS WHY GM IS LOSING MARKETSHARE PEOPLE!!!!!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I'm not sure if this problem causes the symptoms you describe, but after looking through the warranty claims for a lot of Auroras, I know that the crankshaft position sensor is prone to going bad on both of the Aurora engines, particularly the V8. I'm not sure which one she has.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saji
    this is why people buy camrys and accords. this is why oldsmobile was discontinued (because people were buying camrys and accords instead), and this is why im sure your mom will buy a camry or accord or another import when she makes her next car purchase.

Olds was discontinued because of this ONE problem with only ONE particular Aurora?

This sort of thing can happen to ANY car of ANY brand. Yes, my Mom pans on her next vehicle being an import (TSX or TL), but not for this reason. She has known she would be getting an Acura for a couple of years now because those are her "dream cars".

My mom had a ton of more problems on her Corolla(early nineties) and this is one of the first problems she is having with the Aurora, and it has been one of the most reliable vehicles she has ever owned, as was an '84 Buick she owned prior to the Corolla. But, according to you, since she has had problem with American and Japanese vehicles, now she would be stuck with a Korean, Swedish, etc. car for her next choice in vehicle.

Would that make sense for her to do that? No

Does what you say make sense? No

No vehicle is perfect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MelvinJ
    I'm not sure if this problem causes the symptoms you describe, but after looking through the warranty claims for a lot of Auroras, I know that the crankshaft position sensor is prone to going bad on both of the Aurora engines, particularly the V8. I'm not sure which one she has.
    I guess that wouldn't concern us then, because she has the 3.5. But thank you for the heads up Melvin.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

another problem with GM, as you suggested, your mom's next car will be an acura because they're her dream cars. but i ask you this, why not a GM be her dream car? the fact is that many americans are switching to imports because of dream car factor. Is this because GM cars are less desirable then imports? Caddilacs are way to expensive ( cars that i feel are actually quite desireable.)

either way good luck with her getting it fixed, and may it serve you well for many years to come.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    another problem with GM, as you suggested, your mom's next car will be an acura because they're her dream cars. but i ask you this, why not a GM be her dream car? the fact is that many americans are switching to imports because of dream car factor. Is this because GM cars are less desirable then imports? Caddilacs are way to expensive ( cars that i feel are actually quite desireable.)

either way good luck with her getting it fixed, and may it serve you well for many years to come.
    That is true, and a problem GM (and Ford)should be adressign that problem right now, I hope. My Mom likes the CTS, but feel it is overpriced and should really have a much better interior for the price when compared to the TSX.

She basically feels the CTS's interior is utter crap.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Was the security light flashing? If so, it may be a bad ignition key, or pass-lock sensor. Aside from that, I'd also check for trouble codes, such as a crank sensor failure.

Thanks

I can't believe how ignorant this post that I've quoted is. Do all the import freaks think the Japanese car dealers fixed ops departments stand around with their finger up their porthole all day long?

Ironically, I tried to help a neighbor of mine Friday night when their 2003 Avalon with 48k miles on it wouldn't start, and whose door bell did they ring up at 8:45pm? Mine!
    The Toyota cranked over & over but wouldn't fire. A phone call to a personal friend who is a TMC dealer fixed ops director up north told me how to remove a cover near the timing belt...and guess what! The timing belt was shredded!
    This person with 48k miles is most likely looking at up to a $2500-3500 repair bill as my friend told me to relay to my neighbor. The point of all this? The closest Toyota dealer to me is 40 miles away, so about a $200 tow instead of a $35 tow if it were local, and another point? IF this Avalon were a Cadillac, it would be under warranty, and if it was an Oldsmobile, or another GM line, my dealer would most likely goodwill all or part of the repair under warranty. This DOES not happen with the imports, not in my general locale! So saji, I suggest you keep your trolling to yourself and try at least to be a little factual next time, OK?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    I can't believe how ignorant this post that I've quoted is. Do all the import freaks think the Japanese car dealers fixed ops departments stand around with their finger up their porthole all day long?

Ironically, I tried to help a neighbor of mine Friday night when their 2003 Avalon with 48k miles on it wouldn't start, and whose door bell did they ring up at 8:45pm? Mine!
    The Toyota cranked over & over but wouldn't fire. A phone call to a personal friend who is a TMC dealer fixed ops director up north told me how to remove a cover near the timing belt...and guess what! The timing belt was shredded!
    This person with 48k miles is most likely looking at up to a $2500-3500 repair bill as my friend told me to relay to my neighbor. The point of all this? The closest Toyota dealer to me is 40 miles away, so about a $200 tow instead of a $35 tow if it were local, and another point? IF this Avalon were a Cadillac, it would be under warranty, and if it was an Oldsmobile, or another GM line, my dealer would most likely goodwill all or part of the repair under warranty. This DOES not happen with the imports, not in my general locale! So saji, I suggest you keep your trolling to yourself and try at least to be a little factual next time, OK?
    however ignorant his post was, there is some implication of an important factor when people buy cars.
    my theory is that when an automaker, no matter what kind, exposes a lemon product to a consumer, that consumer will never go back to that automaker again. too many GM lemons in the 80s and 90s resulted in alot of people not going back to GM products, same with toyota, but toyota lemons were probably much less then those of GMs in the 80s and 90s, so they stole sales.

my $0.0002

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    however ignorant his post was, there is some implication of an important factor when people buy cars.
    my theory is that when an automaker, no matter what kind, exposes a lemon product to a consumer, that consumer will never go back to that automaker again. too many GM lemons in the 80s and 90s resulted in alot of people not going back to GM products, same with toyota, but toyota lemons were probably much less then those of GMs in the 80s and 90s, so they stole sales.

my $0.0002

Well... I know one Toyota owner who is fast considering a new Grand Prix that has a timing chain in it instead of a belt! This is from someone who has never owned a domestic car in their 35 years of driving!

Even though I'm one of the few GM loyalists around, I'm terribly aware of the domestic shortcomings, and their perceived shortcomings to which the uninformed blow out of porportion (such as the old Cadillac V8-6-4 engine from almost 25 years ago). I'm also terribly aware of the perceived quality of the major Japanese brands. I don't deny their qualities, I never have, however, I've seen through either my own eyes, like this past Friday night for example or I've heard from inside sources from fixed-ops people of what really happens! I don't blindly buy the armchair speculations. My point Mr. Burns to "saji" and others who are blindsighted (either way)..."don't throw stones when you live in a glass house".

Thanks

Id be wondering about fuel pressure...maybe the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01cavalier
    Id be wondering about fuel pressure...maybe the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator

Good points! Thanks for the constructive advice! ;+)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElmerMCR
    I guess that wouldn't concern us then, because she has the 3.5. But thank you for the heads up Melvin.
    Although there were more V8s that I saw with this problem, there were still quite a few 3.5Ls that were also effected. I wouldn't rule it out, but of course, hooking it up to access the trouble codes will probably tell all.

Keep us posted!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 LGRpup's Avatar
    Thanks

Your an idiot.
    2008 GMC Sierra
    2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT

[/FONT]GM, Then and Now... Before you go and buy a import brand car because of the perception of quality, do a little research and you will find GM has as good or better quality than most of those other brands. It's not cool to hate America people!

[/COLOR]

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information