LSI into 84' Vette

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LSI into 84' Vette

Thanks

LSI into 84' Vette

Hi everybody, first post from a long time GM fan.

Right now I own an 1984 Corvette, as many of you guys might know the stock engine is a dog. The Crossfire engine is notoriously bad, and was replaced the following year by the L98. I'm looking to take that one step further.

I'm looking at trying to find a scrapped LS1 off a Camaro/Firebird and swap it into my car after a possible performance rebuild. I want a LS1 because of the excellent torque compared to the LT1 and the greater after-market, aside from the obvious facts that it's newer and a better design. I hope to find an engine with a manual transmission, so I can also drop in a clutch to my car as it is unfortunately an automatic.

I figure I might drop a good four or five grand on a motor, and maybe another half a grand on parts. The good thing is that I have time on my side, the car isn't a daily driver and has a nice garage to sit and wait until it has a new engine.

Does anyone have any advice? Are there any kits? Is this worth doing? Will the LS1 fit inside a C4 engine bay (I would think so). Can I get a LS1 cheaper or will it cost more? What's the best way to get an LS1? Should I go with another engine? What modifications should I do to my LS1 while I have it out of the car before I install it if I'm looking for some good performance?

Anything that anyone has related to this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the replies!

By the way, if anyone wants to see a video it's hosted at another forum of which I am a member.

http://www.sportscarforums.com/f8/be...rld-11262.html

-Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: LSI into 84' Vette

The Engine itself will fit. But its possible you got to change the Oilpan and Front Accessorie Drive. What has to to be changed is Fuelpump, Motormounts, Transmisionmounts

and Frontsprings

cos your front will come up about 1"

unless you use the ironversion from a Truck which sells around 2 Grand (or a Half if you are lucky)with 6 litres (vs 5.7) and E85 capability. But you got to change the Oilpan and Intake for sure.

I plan the same thing for my 91 Firebird. But it will bee more than 32 months before i can afford it.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Cphelps's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '00 Corvette, '95 Jimmy, '95M3

You'll also have to do something about the computer that runs the LS1 too, I know a couple places make wiring harnesses and things to hook it right up, but I've never gotten into it enough to know who or point you in a better direction than that. Several places sell crate engines, including GM's website, however if you find a used LS1 it will surely be cheaper. You might want to find some place that sells the crate engines, or just look on GM Performance page to find out about the wiringharness and other electronic engine control things you will have to work to get the LS1 going in a non-LSx car.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bouda's Avatar
    Thanks

There are kits to change over the LS1 to carbed. That may prove to be less work, not shure though.

Thanks

oooh, i wanna do the same thing to my 91 firebird, and my uncle wants to do the same thing to his 70-somthing buick riviera (sp?) that he's restoring.
    there should be a bunch of scrapped LS1's sitting in the junkyard one would think, as young kids probably like crashing 4th gens.
    But yeah, all one should have to do is find the right engine/tranny combo, get all the wiring/accessories (ECU and everything) and everything else can be aftermarket goodies.
    Good luck though, keep us updated on the project, I wanna see how it turns out for you...maybe get some pointers for myself and uncle. =)

Firebird1324- Mr.Goodwrench-In-Training

The Wheels-
    1991 Pontiac Firebird (5.7)
    1993 Chevy Caprice Classic Wagon (5.7)
    1976 Cadillac DeVille (8.2)
    1985 Yamaha QT50 Moped (.05)

Hasta la Victoria Siempre!

Thanks
    My Ride
    Monaro converted GTO; '69 442

The LS1 into C4 swap has definitely been done before. The C4 has a great suspension; a little bit of power should really make it fun to drive. You should check out the conversions section on www.ls1tech.com. If you search you should be able to find good info there.

As far as the budget you mentioned, you ought to be able to get a motor/trans for way less than $5k. The downside is that you are going to need a lot more stuff the support the conversion. If you don't mind a tad more weight you should consider using a 6.0L out of a truck or SUV; they can be had for much cheaper. You get about the same power as an LS1, and you can always mod to make more.

There are a lot of things involved in these coversions that you wouldn't think of intially, but the end results can totally be worth the effort. Right now my dad and I are building a '68 Camaro that will have an LS7 and a T56 along with a C5 front suspension. Should be quite a car when it's done.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris442 View Post
    The LS1 into C4 swap has definitely been done before. The C4 has a great suspension; a little bit of power should really make it fun to drive. You should check out the conversions section on www.ls1tech.com. If you search you should be able to find good info there.

As far as the budget you mentioned, you ought to be able to get a motor/trans for way less than $5k. The downside is that you are going to need a lot more stuff the support the conversion. If you don't mind a tad more weight you should consider using a 6.0L out of a truck or SUV; they can be had for much cheaper. You get about the same power as an LS1, and you can always mod to make more.

There are a lot of things involved in these coversions that you wouldn't think of intially, but the end results can totally be worth the effort. Right now my dad and I are building a '68 Camaro that will have an LS7 and a T56 along with a C5 front suspension. Should be quite a car when it's done.
    I met your dad Saturday night at Pavillions and saw the completed 68' w/ the LS7 and almost came on myself. If I had the means, that is exactly like I would build it. That is a kick ass ride!!!!: clap:

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information