LS engine parts interchangeability?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LS engine parts interchangeability?

Thanks

LS engine parts interchangeability?

I have a 02 GMC Sierra with 5.3L motor. I allready have an intake and cat-back exhaust but i'd like to do some more mods. Will the LS1 cam fit my 5.3? Will I have to chance springs? rocker arms? pushrods?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nailhead425's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: LS engine parts interchangeability?

Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir
    I have a 02 GMC Sierra with 5.3L motor. I allready have an intake and cat-back exhaust but i'd like to do some more mods. Will the LS1 cam fit my 5.3? Will I have to chance springs? rocker arms? pushrods?
    Cam is the same. But remember that the LS1 has a larger bore and better cyl. head ports. Opt for some better heads, or have yours ported and polished. Beware of 6.0 heads, which have the same ports and valves as LS6 heads, because your compression will be around 8.5:1 (bigger chambers than LS6 and 5.3), and the bore on your 5.3 is too small which will shroud the valves. Since this is in a pickup, I'd go for a cam smaller than the LS1 engine. Go to Lingenfelter or Crane Cams, both have several grinds for the Gen III/IV SBC. There are many variables, but for the most part a slightly bigger cam in the 5.3 will send the HP much higher in the RPM band. The best money is spent in the heads. There is tons of power in the stock 5.3 heads. Port 'em and keep the factory cam. Also, I'd add some headers if you can.
    Who is John Galt?
    -

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information