GM Inside News Forum banner

Locked RDS radio problem

54K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  chevy1967 
#1 ·
I've installed a Delco RDS radio with a CD player in a 2005 Chevy SIlverado. The radio indicates "LOCKED".One GMC dealer tried to unlock the radio using the Tech II scanner/reader. No luck. The radio wouldn't "talk" to the scanner. Another service manager at another GM dealer told me that this is a problem. Six car/truck radios he has had in his shop within the last month have been almost impossible to unlock. Each time the customer was charged $75.00 regardless of whether the radio was unlocked. This manager said they had talked to GM technical people without luck. He blames the problem on the body control module. GM needs to do better than this- I certainly expect better. A perfectly good and expensive radio is useless while locked.Is GM trying to force people to not buy their radios?Does anyone out there have better technical skills than the delaers I've spoken with?Or is there someone at GM who can provide technical assistance to address this problem?Thanks for your input.

#3 ·
your radio needs to be reprogrammed and the vin will relearn,this can be done providing the radio you have is compatible with your truck.some trucks have amps some dont depends on what you had to start with.Ive done this lots of times ,im a chevy tech with 18 years exp. most likely either your radio wont work or they dont know how to do it.

#4 ·
Hi Scooter, I just bought an RDS Delco radio to replace the original in my 2000 Pontiac Montana. Its the exact radio, and I received the VIN# to the vehicle it came from. How do I re-program this radio so I can unlock it. It says the time and "LOCKED" under the time. None of the ways to get the code works. Holding down #2 and #3 doesnt work at all...
HELP!

#5 ·
hi love the forum I have a question just recent installed a factory gm nav in my 2007 Silverado had a tec relearn the vin the radio splahed up on the screen and went directly to clock mod tried to turn the power on the radio and no reponce why is that ? any ideas much appreciated thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.