GM Inside News Forum banner

K5 Blazer Gas Mileage

45K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  doug.carlson.94 
#1 ·
I just sold my 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue and received our 1989 Chevrolet K5 Blazer as my main vehicle. I am currently getting around 9 miles per gallon in city driving. I am not a lead foot, and I am driving like a grandma to try to improve this. It isn't improving as of yet. I have put in GUMOUT fuel injector cleaner to try to clean the TBI unit, but it hasn't shown any significant improvement. The Blazer only has 36,000 miles, has a Pro-Comp high lift cam, has the 350 V8, 700 R4 transmission with overdrive, and a GM 10-bolt rear axle with posi. Is there anything I can do to improve my gas mileage?

Much Thanks.

#7 ·
Get rid of the 4X4 and buy a samller car, what did U honestly expect from a vehicle that was built when gas was less than 90 cents a gallon. 6000lbs+a gas swilling 350+ a agressive cam+ most likely 3.73's = a lighter wallet 4 U.

#9 ·
put in a new 02 sensor, I think theyre just off the manfold on the exhaust. A tune up would help if it hasnt been done. Set the timing back to stock.
Other than that, thats just the way it is. my 88 silverado 4x4 could only go 120 miles or so on 1 tank.

Thats with all the most of the emissions crap disconnected, K&N open air cleaner, straight dual exhaust with a flowmaster!

#11 ·
I managed to increase my 89 burb from 8 to 11.2 with a few easy steps. Syn oil, air pressure,good tune-up and playing with the lights. Of course if it is too bad, I would give your k-5 a good home on the beach in NC :> (Thanks you guys for all of your tips, however, I would never sell Big Blaze, EVER.)

#13 ·
It's just a low MPG vehicle. I have the same power train and aspiration package with a stock cam and it's 4X4. I get 12 MPG.

You just need to accept that you're low MPG is caused by the high lift cam which has a longer duration and supplies more fuel which is not efficiently burned. Those types of cams are left overs from the high octane rating hi pressure muscle car era.

The only way to help that thing is to do a TBI overhaul and find a hi flow air filter, change the oil, and do a lube job, especially the U-Joints.

Pretty basic stuff.

Try getting a motor cycle for small single person excursions. I wish I had one.

#15 ·
...And the award for resuscitating a dead thread, by a first-time poster, goes to:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.