Jacks: bottle vs. floor vs. trolley -- pros and cons

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jacks: bottle vs. floor vs. trolley -- pros and cons

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Jacks: bottle vs. floor vs. trolley -- pros and cons

So, I'd like to start doing some basic maintenance and repair myself again. One thing I'll need is some ability to jack up my car to get it on jack stands and there seems to be a lot of options over a lot of prices. We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, but we do have some similar options (Princess Auto, Canadian Tire). Options range from really cheap trolley jacks (2 ton) at Princess Auto, equally cheap bottle jacks, combo packs (3 ton floor jack, two jackstands, and creeper) for about $120 or dedicated 3 ton floor jacks for 150 and up (in some cases way up).

I will only be doing work on my own vehicles (a compact car and occasionally a minivan). I may start out with good intentions and find I really don't have the time (in which case, the jack will sit in my garage!), or I might really enjoy it an move on to bigger automotive projects -- I'm kind of testing the waters here.

Any advice/experience? I know that the cheaper the jack the less reliable, but I don't ever intend to get under the car unless its on jack stands. Is more money basically buying more ease-of-use (less effort, shorter pumping distance)? Or is there a substantial functional difference as well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Jacks: bottle vs. floor vs. trolley -- pros and cons

I don't like bottle jacks because of the rather small surface area of where it comes intact with whatever you're lifting. They tend to be tippy too and not being able to move freely is somewhat dangerous to me.

The only bad thing about floor jacks is portability...picking up and carrying a 3 ton jack sucks unless it's aluminum. A 2 ton or smaller is decent enough to keep in the trunk.

Unless you go aluminum you might as well buy the cheapest jack possible, since I don't work under a car without blocks or stands either
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

You may want to try your local Costco store as well. At certain times of the year they sell a floor jack and stand combo (sometimes they even have a floor jack as a stand alone item.) The combo can usually be had for about $140 but if you hold out for when it goes on sale it is usually between $100 and $110.

They have a floor jack available on their website at $125

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....t20744&topnav=
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the 3-ton floor I bought from Harbor Freight over the WWW, the shipping was really reasonable.. but I picked it up at a US address. I think the whole thing cost me less than a hundred bucks (I want to say $80 but that may have been w/o shipping)

I have had a couple of 2 ton floor jacks and every one has sucked balls. They are marked "2 ton" but if you actually try to lift roughly 1500 lbs the thing goes to hell and pisses oil everywhere.

Bottle jacks seem more reliable but for anything involving a car, they are useless.

That said it depends how much you're going to use it. I end up most of the time just using the scissor jack because it fits nice in the jack point, and then using the stands are easy. But cranking a mechanical jack because of the worm friction takes a lot of work. But hey, we don't get enough exercise anyway.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information