GM Inside News Forum banner

Intermediate shaft driving me nuts

14K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  susieque129 
#1 ·
My 06 g6 intermediate shaft is driving me banana's and Gm still has no friggin fix for the issue yet. Clunk, clunk, clunk is all i hear. Is there any way i can lubricate it? Possible to maybe drill a hole in the shaft and put in a grease nipple? Anything at all? It gets to be a chore when i drive my newish car all it wants to do is clunk.....

#2 ·
2 years ago my Pontiac dealer informed me there was a fix for my Bonneville - instead of the $100 lube it was $220 or something. 2 years later and its still solid as a rock.

#4 ·
So is this ISS issue a clunk you feel when turning the wheel at slow speeds, such as backing out of a driveway? It is almost as if when it clunks you feel the steering wheel sort of "slip". Is that what my Malibu has developed?

Strangest thing is I didn't have it until I brought my car in for an alignment at the dealer. As I drove from the shop I felt it for the first time.

If I bring this in to have it covered under the warranty, will they just grease it or replace it with a new style shaft?

#5 ·
I think it is VERY SCARY that I just read the title and KNEW it had to do with an Epsilon based car. The intermediate shaft clunk is very common to this platform. I've had it fixed twice, once they tightened it and the other time they replaced it. Both lasted a short time and the clunk was back.

#12 ·
My 2002 STS is on its third shaft and the clunk is slowly returning... My advice... just ignore it.

#13 ·
GM has a newer updated bulletin relating to the steering noises on the G6 not all the noises in these are from the intermediate shaft. Go to the dealer and have them use the diagnostics in bulletin:
#06-02-32-007F: Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise from Front of Vehicle While Driving or Turning Over Bumps at Low Speeds (Diagnose Noise and Perform Outlined Repair) - (Aug 24, 2009)

#15 ·
No the steering will work fine and safely with the clunk... nothing is falling apart.. it is just the sensation of metal rubbing... annoying? Yes... dangerous? no

#20 ·
My 2006 Pontiac Pursuit started clunking at 90,000 km (55,000 miles) when I was told it was the intermediate steering shaft. I was told it was not dangerous, would just get worse. A year later and now at 113,000 km (70,000 miles), there is play in the steering and my passenger side tire is as smooth as a babies bottom. The dealer offered me 15% off THE PART, only. It would be close to $300 to fix. I contacted GM via email and a GM Ambassador called me. The Ambassador talked to the dealer and that is when I was offered 15% off the part. GM considered this a solution to my problem and noted that I REFUSED their offer.

The part is worth about $70. $10.50 off a $300 invoice! What a joke. I am trusting it is safe to drive my vehicle. I DO NOT drive on the highway, just around town because we cannot afford to fix this piece of junk and I do not feel safe on the highway at high speeds. So many things have gone wrong and two recalls, already. I am biding my time until I can get it fixed, then I will be buying something other than a GM vehicle. I have always owned GM vehicles, as my father before me, but I have lost faith in GM, the quality of their products and their lack of empathy for the customers that support the CEO's exorbitant pay and bonuses.

My tax dollars helped bail GM out of their financial woes a few years ago, and then they failed to fix a d 67 cent part in the ignition until a class action suit brought their cover-up to light. They got caught!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.