I'm putting cutouts on my 1999 5.3 vortec, oxygen-sensor question

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm putting cutouts on my 1999 5.3 vortec, oxygen-sensor question

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'm putting cutouts on my 1999 5.3 vortec, oxygen-sensor question

Ok, I bought cutouts to put on my 1999 chevy silverado, it has a 5.3 vortec. My 2 oxygen sensors are located in the pipes after the cats, if I put the cutouts before the sensors will it effect how the motor runs when I go open headers? or do I have to move the sensor to be in front of the cutouts? I'm worried that when I go open headers it won't run right because the exhuast will not be passing the oxygen sensor, so currently I'm placing the cutouts before the sensor, should I change this?
    Shake N' Bake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Uplander 03 Bonne 00 K2500

Re: I'm putting cutouts on my 1999 5.3 vortec, oxygen-sensor question

The rear O2 sensors should not affect the way your truck runs since they are there only to test emissions for catalytic efficiency - to tell you when you need a new converter. You may get a check engine light for the signal sent to the ECM not being in the right tolerances.

Thanks

^^^

what he said, you will get catylist efficiency codes for both banks, an a CEL.

Just put the cutouts behind, and you'll be fine, and it will still be loud
    -GM ASEP Graduate, 6 years experience.
    2012 Cruze ECO 6MT
    1992 4runner project in the works, all GM driveline and powertrain.
    -L33 5.3, 4L60E, NP241C, D60 front, 14BFF, etc.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

see here's the thing, I'm gonna run without cats (keep this quiet) :P And I bought cutouts but the only place they can fit before the Y-pipe is where the cats currently are. and right after the cats is the sensor, So i'm just switching the cats with the cutouts and the sensor will still be after the cutouts, I don't want to move the sensor unless I have to, so thats really the question. Anyway, so this won't effect how the motor runs? I always thought the O2 sensor in the exhuast told the computer "hey we're running lean", so the injectors spray more or like "hey we're running rich" so it slows down the spraying. But from what your saying, I think I'm wrong, lol.

And what's a CEL OOOOOOOO (check engine light) nah, i can deal with that, my truck has an eternal CEL lol, after driving for like 5 minutes and I hit a bump 3 lights come on the CEL, ABS and I think Battery, something's weird with the computer or wiring but everything operates fine, I think the ABS light comes on cuz we replaced both of the hubs and we reconnected everything, and the lights not on, but when I hit bumps after driving for 5 minutes that light comes on. Also the parking brake light, but thats cuz the cable is overstretched and can't tighten anymore, (little problems) :P
    Shake N' Bake

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

The front sensor(s) are for fuel trim, the sensors after the cat are to make sure the cat is still working. CEL is check engine light, yes
    Last edited by steelmanwy; 05-12-2010 at 11:59 AM.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

aha!, so you're saying it'll work. awesome! wait, when you say "front sensors", do you mean the O2 sensors in the intake? or there's a 2nd set of O2 sensors in the exhuast? I didn't look over it that close to the headers
    Shake N' Bake

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

I'm not sure about the 5.3l, but on my 7.4l the front sensors are just below the exhaust manifold.

Thanks

if ur gonna eliminate the cats, u might as well eliminate the rear O2 sensors too, no point in having them... but u will have a CEL for rear O2's and cat efficiency... and ur car will not pass inspection if they plug into the under dash port, like where i am...

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I know, but it will pass here :P and I found the front sensors, so I'm good. Truck is a little faster now, and the cutouts sound meannnnnnn, wait till I build a block and cam it. I want to cam it now, but it's got too much mileage on this block
    Shake N' Bake

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information