How can I disable the automatic lights on function on my 1999 Chevy Malibu

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can I disable the automatic lights on function on my 1999 Chevy Malibu

Walking
    Thanks

Question How can I disable the automatic lights on function on my 1999 Chevy Malibu

Can some one please help me disable the automatic headlights function on my 1999 Malibu. I would like to determine when they turn on rather than have the car do it or me. I have reviewed the wiring diagram, but I can't seem to find a feasible solution.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How can I disable the automatic lights on function on my 1999 Chevy Malibu

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab
    I think he is referring to AHL not DRL.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

there should be a switch there is one on my G5 it will say auto lights on or auto lights off. or you can just turn on the lights with the switch to the left

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 69Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01sunfire01
    there should be a switch there is one on my G5 it will say auto lights on or auto lights off. or you can just turn on the lights with the switch to the left
    Nope, too old of a car. They didn't put in swithces that could turn off the auto headligths in 99.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC
    1969 Chevy C/10 383 stroker

Thanks

As for turning off the auto headlamp feature, I'm not sure. DRL's are easier, but I've never looked into auto headlamps, have to do some lookin to figure that one out.

EDIT- GM's Service Info shows that there is an ALC relay that should control the auto feature. Maybe try pulling that and see what happens? Worth a shot, it should be under the hood.
    Last edited by 69Chevy; 09-04-2007 at 08:31 PM.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC

Banned
    Thanks

Is it really that big of a deal for ya? I can understand the DRL's, but the auto headlamp is one of the best features GM has IMO. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy
    Nope, too old of a car. They didn't put in swithces that could turn off the auto headligths in 99.
    It can be done by replacing the sensor with a resistor. Not sure which one you Malibu needs, my 99 Sonoma took a 2.2 K ohm resistor, Radio Shack 5 for 99 cents.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slls
    It can be done by replacing the sensor with a resistor. Not sure which one you Malibu needs, my 99 Sonoma took a 2.2 K ohm resistor, Radio Shack 5 for 99 cents.
    I know it can be done, I was commenting on the quote that said it had a switch. It doesn't have a switch to control the auto light feature.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the responses. I did find and remove the relay for the automatic lights, but it caused the "Service Engine Soon" light to turn on. There certainly is no switch, at least not one that I can find. I looked through the wiring diagram in the Hanes manual, and it didn't show one either.

Unfortunately it is a big deal for me. I live on a military base and as a courtesy we are supposed to turn off our lights as we approach the sentry after dark. I drive by a sign every night that says "Turn off lights when approaching sentry".

I will look for the sensor and figure out what resistor to replace it with unless there are other suggestions out there.

Thanks again.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rldu
    Thanks to all of you for the responses. I did find and remove the relay for the automatic lights, but it caused the "Service Engine Soon" light to turn on. There certainly is no switch, at least not one that I can find. I looked through the wiring diagram in the Hanes manual, and it didn't show one either.

Unfortunately it is a big deal for me. I live on a military base and as a courtesy we are supposed to turn off our lights as we approach the sentry after dark. I drive by a sign every night that says "Turn off lights when approaching sentry".

I will look for the sensor and figure out what resistor to replace it with unless there are other suggestions out there.

Thanks again.
    If that is the case, just turn on your parking lights.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rldu
    Thanks to all of you for the responses. I did find and remove the relay for the automatic lights, but it caused the "Service Engine Soon" light to turn on.Thanks again.
    Probably a "service vehicle soon" light. If you wered to checks the codes that triggered the light it would show a code for the left headlamp and reight headlamp being open. If you can live with the check vehicle light bein on I'd say leave the realy out, no harm done.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC

Walking
    Thanks

I posted this question at www.justanswers.com and I got an answer in 30 minutes. The chevy mechanic that answered (Travis, very helpful) said remove the two ALC (automatic light control) relays from the fuse box by the air filter box. This worked, but made a Service Soon light come on at starting up car. I can live with that, but there is probably a way to replace or alter the relay or jump a circuit to prevent the Service Soon light. Piss on whoever came up with automatic lights in USA. I joined lightsout.org to protest.
    I think the real reason the govt wants the lights on is to get money from tickets and to keep criminal drivers from turning off the lights to hide from helicopters.
    Last edited by chevysucksnow; 02-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Use a resistor, no SES light. The BCM thinks the sun is shinning all the time.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information