hesitation and poor acceleration..

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hesitation and poor acceleration..

Walking
    Thanks

hesitation and poor acceleration..

Hi all -- new to this forum because I have not had any problems with my Chevy van in tens of thousands of miles.
    Now, I am here because I have a problem -- it is an '89 Chevy G20 (3/4 ton) conversion van with a 5.7L TBI and 193k miles on her. Just within the last month, it has started to hesitate off the line when cold -- then runs ok when it warms and then it starts hesitating again when I have been driving for a longer period of time. When I am up to speed on the highway it is fine -- even though sometimes when I accelerate at hwy speeds, it does hesitate a hair. Also, sometimes it does want to act like it is going to stall after a long run on the hwy -- when I come to a stop. When it hesitates off the line, if I really feather the gas super quickly, she goes -- but I really have to feather the throttle a lot.
    I have recently done the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, and 02 sensor. I have not checked the fuel pressure (I am going to get the gauge and learn how soon if need be).
    I do have a stored error code 44 "lean exhaust" which says to check fuel pressure causing a lean running condition. My first thought is the fuel pressure regulator which I plan on installing this morning -- but wanted to ask you all b/c I hate just throwing things in it w/out some expert opinions first.
    Also, it usually will need a little throttle to start when at normal running temp (hot) -- which is what led me to the fuel pressure regulator as the possible culprit.
    Any help/thoughts here would be great and much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by paintguy; 04-13-2005 at 07:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: hesitation and poor acceleration..

can't say I know anything about the magnets in the distributor main shaft -- how do I go about inspecting them?
    Thank you.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

Your symptoms could also be a vacuum leak. Unmetered air entering the engine will also make it go lean. Check all your vacuum lines. Replace all that are hard or cracked.

Walking
    Thanks

it has been doing it mainly when hot (when I have been driving it for a while) -- turn it off, then when I go to drive again, it hesitates really bad and even stalls in gear (auto trans) when I stop at a light. Refires when I try to start her again, only if I dont give it too much gas. Once up to hwy speed, she runs like a champ -- seems to run crappy again at low rpms in each gear and from a stop.

only a little hesitation from a standing start when cold, but most of the hesitation and stalling symptoms are happening while hot.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paintguy
    it has been doing it mainly when hot (when I have been driving it for a while) -- turn it off, then when I go to drive again, it hesitates really bad and even stalls in gear (auto trans) when I stop at a light. Refires when I try to start her again, only if I dont give it too much gas. Once up to hwy speed, she runs like a champ -- seems to run crappy again at low rpms in each gear and from a stop.

only a little hesitation from a standing start when cold, but most of the hesitation and stalling symptoms are happening while hot.
    Sounds like a weak fuel pump to me.

Walking
    Thanks

I have been pondering the thought that my fuel pump may be going also. I also think that my fuel tank may be contaminated causing poor flow. I guess I am going to have to drain the tank and lower it, clean it out, and replace the fuel pump -- anything else I should do while the tank is out?
    Thanks Lynch Mob.

Thanks

I have been pondering the thought that my fuel pump may be going also. I also think that my fuel tank may be contaminated causing poor flow. I guess I am going to have to drain the tank and lower it, clean it out, and replace the fuel pump -- anything else I should do while the tank is out?
    Thanks Lynch Mob.
    No problem

Walking
    Thanks

could it possibly be my timing chain is in need of replacement?

anyone please chime in if you can think of anything else before I break down and drop the tank. If it is a weak fuel pump, would it really act up when hot (been running her for a while, then turn her off and when I go to drive again she really acts up and I have to feather the crap out of the throttle to get her going)?

I have replaced the fuel pressure reugulator, TPS, and O2 sensor and she runs noticably better except after I shut her down after a long run (20+ miles) and then when I start her up about ten minutes later she runs like crap until I get up to hwy. speed.??????????.

Thanks

Fuel pump.

Walking
    Thanks

I did the fuel pump and it was the culprit! Thanks everyone for your help!!

Thanks

I did the fuel pump and it was the culprit! Thanks everyone for your help!!
    I had an Astro van give me the same problem.The TBI fuel systems are sometimes a little tricky because you still could have the correct pressure lets say 13 psi ,but you will not have enough volume.I am glad i could help.

Walking
    Thanks

I am having the same problem with my 92 Chevy 1500 truck. 350 5.7liter 2wd. I have replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor, MAP Sensor, Fuel pump,filter,strainer. Also the O2sensor,TPS,IAC,Plugs,Wires,and EGR solenoid. After replacing the coolant temp sensor, and the fuel pump, it ran great for about 6 miles. Then as it idled the engine light came on with code 44. I get a surge then drop when it idles, and I have the same symptoms as painguy. Distributer is good, I just don't know what else is going on with it. Any help I would be greatfull for. Thanks

Thanks

On many of these year vehicles there is a plug in connection inside the tank at the top for the fuel pump. This can get corroded and charred, actually burned looking, and lose connection. When replacing the pump you move the wires enough to get a connection for a while, but it fails again. Check to see that the pump is actually running as it should before going any further.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by partygras
    I am having the same problem with my 92 Chevy 1500 truck. 350 5.7liter 2wd. I have replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor, MAP Sensor, Fuel pump,filter,strainer. Also the O2sensor,TPS,IAC,Plugs,Wires,and EGR solenoid. After replacing the coolant temp sensor, and the fuel pump, it ran great for about 6 miles. Then as it idled the engine light came on with code 44. I get a surge then drop when it idles, and I have the same symptoms as painguy. Distributer is good, I just don't know what else is going on with it. Any help I would be greatfull for. Thanks

what about the EGR valve itself? try spraying carb cleaner in it.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Those TBi small blocks were also known for bad distributor shafts, as the magnets would loosen up of crack....causing issue with the pick-up coil as well.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information