Head gasket/intake manifold gasket?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head gasket/intake manifold gasket?

Walking
    Thanks

Head gasket/intake manifold gasket?

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture. While driving, I noticed that the oil pressure sensor was reading 0. Stopped at an auto parts store to check it, and the oil was down 2 quarts. It has only been 2000 miles since my last oil change, so I found this a bit excessive. Started looking into it, and heard of some problems with the manifold. Upon checking, there is brown sludge on my radiator cap. The coolant reservoir was completely empty, although the radiator itself was full. As far as I can tell, there is no coolant in the oil (couldn't smell any), the van is not overheating, no problems running, and no oil leaks in the driveway. At this point, I am trying to figure out how to tell if the problem would be a head gasket or the manifold gasket??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated....
    Nicole

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Head gasket/intake manifold gasket?

Head gasket you would know it,it would have no power maybe mani gasket

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I'd put money on head gasket. If you cant see it, more than likley it is the rear bank gasket that is leaking.
    Bring your van into a shop, preferably a Goodwrench one as they have the nessecary experience with these engines.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by momncharj3
    I have a 2001 Chevy Venture. While driving, I noticed that the oil pressure sensor was reading 0. Stopped at an auto parts store to check it, and the oil was down 2 quarts. It has only been 2000 miles since my last oil change, so I found this a bit excessive. Started looking into it, and heard of some problems with the manifold. Upon checking, there is brown sludge on my radiator cap. The coolant reservoir was completely empty, although the radiator itself was full. As far as I can tell, there is no coolant in the oil (couldn't smell any), the van is not overheating, no problems running, and no oil leaks in the driveway. At this point, I am trying to figure out how to tell if the problem would be a head gasket or the manifold gasket??
    Nicole
    Hey all GM friends. I am helping Momncharj out with diagnosing this problem. Is thier anyway I can tell if im dealing with a Manifold Gasket or a Head Gasket? (other than compression testing?)
    Justin
    AKA - Juma 1998
    2003 Dodge Neon SXT
    2.0L - 4 Speed Automatic
    1993 Plymouth Accliam
    2.5L - 3 Speed Automatic
    1987 Chrysler 5th Avenue
    318 - 3 Speed Automatic

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

As buicktech said....it would likely be the rear head gasket, and I think the head gasket would lek externally. If unsure....one way is to clean up the engine, degrease....and put dye into the oil & coolant systems...then a chaeck with a dye-light-black light would point external leakage anyways...

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

If you have a hoist, lift it up and look over the (steering) rack, right along the exhaust towards the exhaust manifold. You'll need a bright light.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

DB is right...

ALSO>>

we've also experienced a number of bad oil pressure switches....which leaked...

Walking
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Head gasket/intake manifold gasket?

I made a mistake, I didn't mean the oil pressure gauge. I guess it's just the gauge that keeps track of how many miles you have until your next oil change..... Anyways, maybe it's good I didn't know what it was, because it prompted me to stop and check into things.
    Nicole

Thanks

I'm no expert but if the headgasket goes doesn't it not run right(like burn spark plug or miss fire feeling)no power to go anywhere.Maybe not as much notice as in a V8 (7 cylinders picking up the slack)in power but still will notice very much????

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boston boy
    I'm no expert but if the headgasket goes doesn't it not run right(like burn spark plug or miss fire feeling)no power to go anywhere.Maybe not as much notice as in a V8 (7 cylinders picking up the slack)in power but still will notice very much????
    Ive seen head gaskets blow that do not affect performance that much.

How hard of a Job is this on the van? Ive never done a push rod motor. I have done a SOHC 2.5L Chrysler. IVe played around with a few Chevy 305s.
    Justin
    AKA - Juma 1998
    2003 Dodge Neon SXT
    2.0L - 4 Speed Automatic
    1993 Plymouth Accliam
    2.5L - 3 Speed Automatic
    1987 Chrysler 5th Avenue
    318 - 3 Speed Automatic

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by momncharj3
    Nicole
    disappearance of the coolant is a sign of a leak, so is it a intake, head gasket, or even a block heater/water pump?

This sludge on the cap, is it greasy brown like contaminated oil? Head gaskets usually push compression gasses/oil into the cooling system. Not coolant into the oil, but that can happen.

With the rad cap off, bring the engine up to operating temp, watch for bubbles in the radiator neck. That should tell you if the sludge is from the head gasket or not. If no bubbles, I would guess (being a 3.4L) that the coolant is leaking out of the intake gasket. Fill the reservoir and watch to see if it dissapears again.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doh
    disappearance of the coolant is a sign of a leak, so is it a intake, head gasket, or even a block heater/water pump?

This sludge on the cap, is it greasy brown like contaminated oil? Head gaskets usually push compression gasses/oil into the cooling system. Not coolant into the oil, but that can happen.

With the rad cap off, bring the engine up to operating temp, watch for bubbles in the radiator neck. That should tell you if the sludge is from the head gasket or not. If no bubbles, I would guess (being a 3.4L) that the coolant is leaking out of the intake gasket. Fill the reservoir and watch to see if it dissapears again.
    Yes it is - greasy brown - smells like OIL with Coolant. You stick ur finger in the Rad and it comes out COMPLETELY covered with Gooey brown sludge. Yes, usually it is the other way around. But as u noted its definately possible.

Coolant doesnt seem to be leaking out - just the recovery tank was dry - which could just as easily be from evaportation. The rad only took a tiny bit of water.
    Justin
    AKA - Juma 1998
    2003 Dodge Neon SXT
    2.0L - 4 Speed Automatic
    1993 Plymouth Accliam
    2.5L - 3 Speed Automatic
    1987 Chrysler 5th Avenue
    318 - 3 Speed Automatic

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoparMan
    How hard of a Job is this on the van? Ive never done a push rod motor. I have done a SOHC 2.5L Chrysler. IVe played around with a few Chevy 305s.
    Intake is about 4-5 hours. 6-7 For heads, just off the top of my head.

Thanks

I have done lots of maintenance in full size vans but thank god no major work like that done here.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If it was a head gasket you would have been able to tell almost right away. Symptoms include massive coolant loss in a very short period of time, loss of power, large amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant and very likely the car will overheat. Note that the 3400, at least in model years like your van, are known for head gaskets breaching early. I think I read somewhere that GM issued revised head gaskets for this engine sometime in '04.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information