GMC truck will not start - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GMC truck will not start

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GMC truck will not start

Quote Originally Posted by GMCMIKE
    Thank's for the feedback. Are there about 6 bolts? I replaced the fuel pump on a '96 Z71 by dropping the tank. That was a job.
    Yes, also put some shop rags between the bumper and the tailgate so it doesnt get damaged.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

I installed a new fuel pump and filter today and can hear the pump running. The old fuel pump did not make any sound at all. When I first tried to start the truck it fired for a brief moment, but now it will not. Should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump relay or what should I check next?
    Last edited by GMCMIKE; 01-20-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks

Is there gas in the tank? Did you try it more than once? Gotta get the air outta the lines.
    26yr veteran or the underhood wars, 13 at chevy dealer
    02 K2500HD CCLB, rancho 4" lift, 35" pro comp M/T. Workhorse not trailer queen Rick's Ride

It's great to be a Florida Gator

Walking
    Thanks

1. changed fuel pump
    2. changed fuel filter
    3. drained tank and added 5 gallons of gas
    4. fuel pressure at schrader valve is 55psi
    Truck will still not start........Any suggestions?
    Last edited by GMCMIKE; 01-27-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

It's probable that the injector pintles are stuck shut.Had lots of missfire and no start concerns with the earlier setups due to this.But before replacing them check to see if you have injector pulse.

Walking
    Thanks

I removed the injectors (spider), labeled each one with location and had them cleaned. The labels are gone. Can you tell me where each injector goes when I reinstall them?

Walking
    Thanks

The injector body(housing) is numbered..Russ

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The poppets will want to go where they always do. You will have a hard time hooking them up wrong, as they have taken a set at the angles needed. Clean the housing and you will also see the cylinder numbers cast in. Be carefull with the spring release elvers on the poppet ends, they break easily! There are a number of places that will rebuild the CSFI unit, or you may want to look at doing the MPFI conversion. It is a bit spendy, but eliminates a lot of hassles. I recall that when I was considering it I did find an MPFI kit for under $400... Be very carefull when you hook everything back up. It isn't hard to mess up the gasket on the CSFI unit. I would suggest you go to your local GM dealer and pick up the gasket kit, if I recall it was about $30, and included the intake gasket, TB Gasket, CSFI gasket, and new O-rings for the Fuel lines. I don't know that a lot of people would agree with this particular step, but on a 99, I founf that using a chunk of rubber hose and my compressor, I did blow an obstruction out of the number four injector that was causing a rich condition. While everything is out, you may also want to go ahead and change the pressure regulator.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66's Avatar
    Cedar Rapids, IA (formerly sunny New Mexico (y muchacho lo falto))
    Thanks

My '97 Intrigue ran out of gas and I had to "prime" the fuel injectors. If you are getting fuel flow through the fuel line, that could be the problem. If the fuel is getting to the injectors, they may need to be primed. A dealer may be able to help you with how to do it.
    1979 Chevy Van
    1978 Pontiac Firebird
    1985 GMC S-15 Jimmy
    1992 Pontiac Grand Am
    1998 Oldmobile Intrigue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 P/U
    1979 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the *********'. "What the ********* gives you freedom, freedom creates opportunity, ... opportunity - makes your future." - 'Risky Business' 1983

Walking
    Thanks

With the help and expert advise from you guys, I reinstalled the injectors and the truck started better than my '06 Crew Cab. My buddy that cleaned the injectors said they were completely clogged from sitting. I would like to take this time to say "thank's" to all. I have two more trucks just like this one that I purchased that will probably have the same issues. So be prepared for more questions.
    Mike

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Mike,
    Make sure that you run a bit of motor oil ofer the o-ring on the CSFI unit. This will help it to not slide off and get torn. Did it. Sucks. Glad to hear you just had a glazing/contamination issue! It's not that hard to get it all apart, but that first time is a real hassle. Good luck on the other two!

Walking
    Thanks

The term "glazing/contamination" sounded better than clogged. It sounds more professional. I know that one of the trucks has the same symptoms. I just started a new thread with the other truck. "How to replace an ignition switch?". Thank's for you input.
    Mike

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Mike,
    When you get the ignition switch done, let us know what symptoms show up when you try to start it. As you already know, it isn't hard to get in and clean the injectors/poppets and the housing. I do still suggest changing the regulators while you have everything apart. They can cause some very subtle little problems as they age. Let us know if you experience any hot start or rich conditions with this truck also. Should run great for a long time now.

Walking
    Thanks

You guy's did such a good job with the first truck, I will give you a shot at this one. (1996 GMC 1500 4.3l V6) This truck has been sitting as long as the first one. I put gas and new battery in it. The fuel pump runs and there is 60psi at the check point. The pressure drops to about 30psi within 10 minutes or so. It fires when you try to start.
    Mike

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I don't know the 4.3L V6 at all, but based on similiar fuel injection systems for the time (MPFI, CSFI, CPI), that sounds like a leak to me. Either bad regulator, bad connection, or injector stuck open. Fuel pressure should not drop that much that fast. I am thinking that you may really want to pick up the Haynes and Chilton manuals for these trucks. May save you a few headaches!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information