GM to outsource call centers?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM to outsource call centers?

Thanks

GM to outsource call centers?

Not sure if this is old news, but I wanted to put it out there - the GM call center rep I've been speaking with about repair issues told me today that GM will be outsourcing all but one of its call centers within the year, as part of its cost-cutting efforts. Not to sound bigoted, but the last thing I want to deal with, after already having trouble with my vehicle to the point I need to contact GM customer service, is to have to explain it to someone who speaks broken English and reads to me out of a manual. Anyone with a Dell or HP product knows this joy. Maybe GM should take note of how well those outsourcing efforts went in terms of customer satisfaction and industry reputation.

Does anyone have any other info on this? I'm hoping it's just a rumor. GM call centers are not always the best in helping to make a situation better, but at least it's not on a static-filled line to someone who can't even understand you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Canyonaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GM to outsource call centers?

If this is true, this could be bad. Another problem just like how Dell treated the customers who called in. Thats why they brought some of it back to the States because people were complaining.

I had to deal with much of the same thing with my wireless carrier. They don't understand anything you tell them and getting a resolve is pretty hard.
    Willy (from the Simpsons): Willy hears ya. Willy don't care.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

GMI Folding@Home Thread

Thanks

The call centers are already all outsourced, what is happening is GM has had them all 3 of them in the States, the new plan will have 5, 2 in Canada, one in Argentina, one in the Phillipines, the only one staying open is in Texas, and that will also be significantly downsized. Currently the ones running are in Canada, Argentina will be taking calls later this month, and I believe within the next 2 months the one in the Phillipines will be starting to take calls too. I'm surprised the rep told you about it, they have been told not to discuss it on the phones.

Thanks

Well, it was more my pointed questions than the rep's eagerness to offer up the information. What a cowardly move by management, if the reps have been told not to say anything to the customers. Some, like me, have been dealing with the same representative for a very long time. It seems the plan is to just surprise the customers one day with a brand-new representative, with no explanation. Everyone with an ongoing case will, in essence, have to start completely over. Of course, there are records kept, but it's obvious GM is leaving it to the customer to walk the new reps through the problems, and this time, with a possible language barrier. Cost-cutting in customer service NEVER leads to long-term benefits. The last thing a struggling customer wants is to have a total loss of continuity.

Terrible.

Thanks

Maybe they figure the harder it is to complain, the less complaining they will have?

Thanks

There won't be less complaining. There will only be more customers without a way to get concerns addressed... customers who will look elsewhere for their next vehicle. Short-term savings, long-term losses.

Thanks

I agree with you about starting over, it happens enough as it is when reps change over to another business unit or they quit/get fired. Taking/starting over is never fun. With a language/cultural barrier, I would expect to see more BBB cases filed against GM because of problems with CAC.
    It sounds likeyouve been having a case go on for a while, hopefully I'm wrong. If you have been dealing with the same rep, I can understand why he/she would be comfortable discussing that with you. Hopefully whatever issue(s) you are having get resolved.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Geez, all I can think of is their call centers becoming like DELL's. Having to talk to DELL tech support is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone. I hope GM's are better than DELL anyway. 3 of 5 in North America sounds pretty good.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: GM to outsource call centers?

sounds like the are going to be just like BUY.COM , if anyone has delt with their call center ....well it's in India , they claim that it keeps their prices low..... ya right ....give us a human in the good ol USA ....everyone will be alot happier , the goverment claims they created millions of jobs.... WERE?????? not in the U.S.

Thanks

Well, if you get someone outside of the States, they will transfer you to the Austin, TX site if you insist on it. I believe that the Cadillac/Hummer part of it will will still be handled out of there, though that has not been made clear yet. They handle those divisions separately from Chevy/Buick/Pontiac/GMC and do not handle Saturn/Saab.

Thanks

So if you're buying a Cobalt or Colorado, learn to speak Farsi? Oh my,

Thanks

Just FYI for anyone who wants to know, their Argentina site goes live today.

Thanks

I found this interesting, a friend just talked to someone in the Chatham, Ontario call center earlier this week, and she had a horrible time communicating with them, they never did get her name right on the letter they sent her and they only make $9 per hour. They were definitely paying the employees in the States better than that...typically at least $2 to $3 an hour more.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information