GM (Delco) CD players - CD sticking

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM (Delco) CD players - CD sticking

Walking
    Thanks

GM (Delco) CD players - CD sticking

OK - so I have an '08 Chevy Impala. From about the 2nd month of ownership, I have had issues with the CD player just stopping playback and keeping the CD.

Eject button has no effect (readout says "ejecting disc", but nothing happens). Turning power on and off has no effect. When turned back on, the readout often says "disc error".

Sometimes the disc will stay stuck for days at a time, and then miraculously one morning, you start the car and it just starts playing... or ejects. No rhyme or reason, and not easily repeatable. Sometimes it will work perfectly for a week or more. Then will hang on any CD you put in.

This began with an .mp3 cd (supposedly compatible - and did play a few tracks before hanging), but has also done it with burned audio CDs, and even retail CDs.

Have been to two different dealerships. The first time, was the selling dealer. Was reported when in for another warranty issue unrelated to CD problem. They looked at it and couldn't duplicate the issue. Said to bring it back with CD stuck...

Most recent dealer visit - CD was stuck (retail CD, not a burned CD-R) for 3 days. Called and set up an appointment the day it hung. The day of the appointment arrives (had tried every day in between to get the disc out and even took video of the player's behavior as well as photos of the readout), I got in the car that morning to go to dealership for them to check it out... started the car and after warming up, backed out of driveway. As I back into the street (no big bumps or anything), the CD just starts playing.

So of course, I get to dealer for my appointment - and the player is working fine.

They send me off to the waiting area... 3 hours later, I go check - oh, your car is ready. "GM has a TSB - tech used some cleaner in it. Yes, this is a known problem, but we can't do anything more unless the disc is stuck when you arrive."

UGGGHHHH!!!!

4 hours later - disc stuck. Call tech at dealership - he says to make appointment. While I am on the phone, CD ejects. I told him - he said nevermind. Have to have CD stuck when I bring it in...

I am frustrated. In talking with others, I have found that this is a very common issue - with one friend in particular who said that he has had his Trailblazer in (a couple years older) with the exact same problem - his dealership replaced his CD player. Still has the same problem.

This tells me that Delco is making junk. GM is buying their junk. And GM, with their financial woes, doesn't want to put out any money to actually find a real fix.

So what do I do? Just keep playing discs and "hope" one gets stuck? And then hope I can get in to a dealership with it still stuck?

Ugh... what is the purpose of a warranty?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GM (Delco) CD players - CD sticking

I believe there should be error codes stored in the player that can be read with a Tech 2.

If not try this next time the CD gets stuck. Get the owner's manual out and find the radio fuse and pull it for 60 seconds. Put it back in. You'll have to reset your clock and the radio presets.

Sometimes you get lucky and this cures your problem forever. But a dealer on the ball will just order you a new unit.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Regalguy96's Avatar
    Thanks

I've noticed GM Delco radios in 1996-2000 have had a a lot of problems with cassettes getting stuck. Case in point I bought my Regal with Delco AM/FM cassette with a cassette stuck in it from the original owner. So I went to a pick and pull and bought another AC Delco factory unit out of a '98 LeSabre with CD and cassette and put it in my car. However, I knew when I bought the one at the pick and pull it too had a cassette stuck in it and so did a lot of Delco radios in other GM cars at the same pick and pull. At least the CD part works in the radio I bought.

I took apart the original radio I took out of my Regal finding it seems to be the plate mechanicism that lifts the cassette up to eject it that seems to be sticking.

Anyways, didn't these cars come with a CD or cassette clear rom or tape when new? Or where could I buy a GOOD clear rom that wouldn't damage the player?

Never had this problem with Delco units from 88-95 GM cars. In fact they are some of the best unit out there.

Sorry to kind of take over your post Battman.
    Current Ride:~2002 Chrysler Sebring LX Convertible~

Walking
    Thanks

You said a mouthful in only two short paragraphs! First - that there should be error codes that can be read, and a dealer on the ball... Well...

I will try the fuse pull next time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    I believe there should be error codes stored in the player that can be read with a Tech 2.

If not try this next time the CD gets stuck. Get the owner's manual out and find the radio fuse and pull it for 60 seconds. Put it back in. You'll have to reset your clock and the radio presets.

Sometimes you get lucky and this cures your problem forever. But a dealer on the ball will just order you a new unit.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Try prying your stuck CD out with another CD quickly after hitting the eject button. If that's your problem, that fix works 100% of the time.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Let me set the record straight here (I am in the industry and know this for a fact)...."Delco" as you put it DOES NOT supply the radios on the Impala. It is supplied by a supplier from Japan called FUJITSU- Ten.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Had a problem with an older model Delco CD radio. The issue was with the eject mechanism not being "lubed", and therefore, sticking constantly. It would go to eject the disc, move it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and then become stationary. The radio acted as if it was ejected, but was still too far in to grab. This might be the cause of the intermediate disc error message, as it is just close enough to see, but not read/move. If using another disc to push the other one in works, this could help confirm the problem.

Being that the radio I had was out of warranty, I opened it up and sprayed some WD40 on the moving parts. This seemed to clean/lube the moving elements, and the problem did not reappear. However, you must be careful to other get it on the movement mechanism, as it will create problems if it gets on the laser (or parts of the electronics).

Hope this helps to at least get the dealer to try something else.
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 -- 63,000 miles
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT -- 98,000 miles

Family: 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ, 2012 Chevrolet Volt; 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS; 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD; 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT; 2005 Chevrolet Impala

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Wouldn't it be nice if GM offered to fix ALL of the known problems with your car in one go? Wouldn't that be GREAT customer service?

On my car the Radio and the CD Stacker got along like Chris Brown and Rihanna.. (I had to look that up, in my generation it was Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown... anyway)

Common, KNOWN problem with a GM documented TBS... I even printed the TSB for the dealer... I said, "Here I'm having this problem... please fix it".. Even the TSB says "INTERMITTENT"... "Once every 3 days to a WEEK"... Took the dealer 4 trips (not counting the trips to say "Hey my stacker is doing weird stuff") To finally order the part on the TSB and fix the car...

I have to ask... Why? Why so reluctant to do warranty work? In days gone by, when had my 1990 Allante, they would fix any problem that I found PLUS they would fix any problem that THEY found WITHOUT me asking... That was cool! THAT was customer service and THAT got me to buy my Seville.

The level of customer service these days at our dealer seems to be hitting rock bottom. I guess the fact that we can only go up from here is a good thing.
    Last edited by 2002 Caddy; 03-26-2009 at 08:35 AM.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Any time I have a problem with my 6 CD changer I pull the fuse, and like magic it works again. Have done that 3 times in 4 1/2 years.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dm01usa View Post
    Let me set the record straight here (I am in the industry and know this for a fact)...."Delco" as you put it DOES NOT supply the radios on the Impala. It is supplied by a supplier from Japan called FUJITSU- Ten.
    OK. I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Just going by what my dealer told me, as well as the subsequent dealer.
    Last edited by TheBattman; 03-26-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Found out was not same radio...

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if GM offered to fix ALL of the known problems with your car in one go? Wouldn't that be GREAT customer service?

I have to ask... Why? Why so reluctant to do warranty work? In days gone by, when had my 1990 Allante, they would fix any problem that I found PLUS they would fix any problem that THEY found WITHOUT me asking... That was cool! THAT was customer service and THAT got me to buy my Seville.

The level of customer service these days at our dealer seems to be hitting rock bottom. I guess the fact that we can only go up from here is a good thing.
    It isn't so much the dealers - they want to get paid for the work they do. If they know they will have to jump through hoops (like sending in a factory CD player with a customer's CD stuck in it), then that is what they will wait to do.

And with GM (and the other automakers) on the bleeding edge of bankruptcy - the last thing they want to do is pay anything they can get out of paying.

Of course, what they don't realize - the customer service experience contributes to the state of their business - as they were losing truckloads of money long before the economy turned sour.

Walking
    Thanks

Mine just quits playing mid-track without me trying to eject the disc. Just quits. THEN it won't eject and gives errors.

I don't know that I have had it stick if I just hit eject while the disc is playing.

But thank you for the reply.

Just did some more digging - the player is indeed made by Fujitsu in China.

Quote Originally Posted by jfnz24 View Post
    Had a problem with an older model Delco CD radio. The issue was with the eject mechanism not being "lubed", and therefore, sticking constantly. It would go to eject the disc, move it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and then become stationary. The radio acted as if it was ejected, but was still too far in to grab. This might be the cause of the intermediate disc error message, as it is just close enough to see, but not read/move. If using another disc to push the other one in works, this could help confirm the problem.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information