Fuel gauge pegged at Full all the time

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel gauge pegged at Full all the time

Thanks

Fuel gauge pegged at Full all the time

I have 2001 Saturn L300 (ever heard of those?). My problem is that the fuel gauge is pegged at full the moment I turn the key on and stays that way until I shut it off regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.. something about constant low or high resistance. I had fuel sending unit replaced at a saturn dealer but the problem remains. Saturn service rep was rude and insulting when I asked why that wasnt fixed. He said that I just wanted fuel sending unit replaced... that I didnt ask for diagnosis. So much for good customer service of Saturn.

Anyways, does anyone know what could be the problem? short in wiring perhaps? gauge cluster may not be the issue since rest of gauges are just fine. I will still get it diagnosed but just want to know if anyone came across similar issue. It is a major nuisance since I constantly have to monitor the trip odometer to determine if I need gas. A sudden drop in mileage (if it happens) can cause me stranded with no gas while the fuel gauge reading full

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Fuel gauge pegged at Full all the time

Try replacing the instrument cluster. Call your local scrapyards, maybe they have one for you. Other than that, since you already took it a Saturn dealer to have the sending unit replaced, get a diagnostic done.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

GM has issued a new / revised fuel system cleaner that may correct your erratic fuel gauge operation. I have used this cleaner in my Corvette and it cured the erratic gauge operation. (NOTE: The new cleaner contains the word, "PLUS". Do not purchase the older style from your dealer which still may be stocked. The part number for the older version and new version is the same.)

Information about the new cleaner:

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits
    2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available.

Added Benefits and Uses
    The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

You Get Four Benefits
    One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS added to the fuel tank at each oil change:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS will replace the original GM Fuel System Treatment, P/N 12345104 (in Canada, 89020804). The original formula may still be available for a limited time, and provides the excellent Fuel System Cleaning aspects of the new product without the filmer.

NOTE: The interval for using this cleaner is NOW 3000 miles, NOT 1500.

--------------------

Good luck. The list price for one bottle is $22.53, but my GM/Chevrolet dealer sold it to me for $14.12 a bottle. You should try at least one bottle to see if it improves the gauge operation.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

If all of the other gauges are working correctly, it could be a short in the wiring. It could also be a short in the circuit board for the instruments which would mean replacing the whole instrument cluster, as mentioned above.

I have a 34-year old MG which has the same problem...and it's a short in the wiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    It is a major nuisance since I constantly have to monitor the trip odometer to determine if I need gas. A sudden drop in mileage (if it happens) can cause me stranded with no gas while the fuel gauge reading full
    It's not that big of a nuisance if you just fill up slightly more often. Don't let the tank get close to empty and you won't be stranded. Been there, done that, learned about it, moved on.

Thanks

Thanks. I had this done before the fuel sending unit replacement. It was suggested by the dealer and didnt work. BTW, I dont have erratic fuel gauge operation. It goes straight all the way to F (slightly beyond) and stays there until the key is removed. I have a feeling that this is a wiring issue...

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe
    GM has issued a new / revised fuel system cleaner that may correct your erratic fuel gauge operation. I have used this cleaner in my Corvette and it cured the erratic gauge operation. (NOTE: The new cleaner contains the word, "PLUS". Do not purchase the older style from your dealer which still may be stocked. The part number for the older version and new version is the same.)

Information about the new cleaner:

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits
    2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available.

Added Benefits and Uses
    The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

You Get Four Benefits
    One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS added to the fuel tank at each oil change:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS will replace the original GM Fuel System Treatment, P/N 12345104 (in Canada, 89020804). The original formula may still be available for a limited time, and provides the excellent Fuel System Cleaning aspects of the new product without the filmer.

NOTE: The interval for using this cleaner is NOW 3000 miles, NOT 1500.

--------------------

Good luck. The list price for one bottle is $22.53, but my GM/Chevrolet dealer sold it to me for $14.12 a bottle. You should try at least one bottle to see if it improves the gauge operation.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Beelzebub,

Good luck.

I know it is not a Saturn, but the two fuel sending units were replaced twice on my 1999 Corvette (purchased new). Now at 42,000 miles, at times the fuel gauge remains on "full" for about 100 - 150 miles. The additive has helped. The Chevrolet dealer wanted over $600.00 to replace the fuel sending units again (the new car and GMPP warrantys have expired).

GM has had a lot of problems with fuel sending units and erratic fuel gauge operation in numerous cars. It is a shame that an automaker can't make a reliable fuel gauge system.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information