Equinox Oil Change

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equinox Oil Change

Walking
    Thanks

Equinox Oil Change

Getting ready for our first oil change on our 2011 Equinox with the 4 cyl. Have my Amsoil XL 5W-30 oil, Mobil 1 filter and my oil filter socket. Any pointers to help me out would be appreciated. Should I remove the filter first or drain the oil first? Or, does it matter? Does draining the oil also drain the oil out of the filter housing? What is the torque for the drain plug and the filter cap? Thanks for the help,

Vinnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: Equinox Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by vwalburn View Post
    Getting ready for our first oil change on our 2011 Equinox with the 4 cyl. Have my Amsoil XL 5W-30 oil, Mobil 1 filter and my oil filter socket. Any pointers to help me out would be appreciated. Should I remove the filter first or drain the oil first? Or, does it matter? Does draining the oil also drain the oil out of the filter housing? What is the torque for the drain plug and the filter cap? Thanks for the help,

Vinnie

You are aware the 2011 GM gasoline engines require Dexos1 specification oil: http://www.gmdexos.com/aboutdexos.html

The first time I removed the filter cap from the 2.4 4-cylinder engine on a relative's Malibu, I placed a black mark on the cast housing so that I could retighten the filter cap to the exact position that it was when it came from the factory, new.

I drain the oil, and while it is draining, remove the filter cap and filter. If you use car ramps, a little oil will remain in the filter housing. You can use a paper towel to remove it if you desire. I use a zip-loc style plastic bag to put the oil filter in, as it will be saturated with oil.

Good luck. It is easy.
    Last edited by 1999 White C5 Coupe; 02-12-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

Yes, I'm know about all the dexos stuff. Amsoil is formulated to dexos standards and GM can not require you to use a certain type of oil for the warranty to be good. http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
    Right now, the only oil I can find that has dexos on the label is Amsoil. QS, Pennzoil and Mobil is not currently available in this area with dexos on the label.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't know about the Equinox, but put oil in until the dipstick says "full".

Our 5.3 Z71 was always almost a half quart low when filled with what the owner's manual says was capacity. Several other friends reported the same thing.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Its super easy to do.

Only thing that I recommend is to reuse the STOCK o-ring gasket for the filter cover unless it is damaged. It is usually much better quality than the ones that come with non-OEM filters.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Yes, I'm know about all the dexos stuff. Amsoil is formulated to dexos standards and GM can not require you to use a certain type of oil for the warranty to be good. http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
    Right now, the only oil I can find that has dexos on the label is Amsoil. QS, Pennzoil and Mobil is not currently available in this area with dexos on the label.

GM CAN require you to use a certain TYPE of oil to ensure the warranty remains in force (viscosity - such as 5W30, and specification - such as the Dexos1). They can not force you to use a specific brand or facility to have it changed (or prevent you from doing the work).

Good luck.

Walking
    Thanks

The owners' Manual states: "If Dexos oil is not available, any oil with the API Starburst and 5W-30 viscocity is acceptable."

Also the following was released:

FTC Issues Consumer Alert on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently issued a consumer alert clarifying that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from denying warranty coverage based on use of an aftermarket product, unless they can show the product caused the damage or was installed incorrectly.

“The FTC’s statement should help those ILMA members, for example, who have decided not to license General Motors’ dexos™ engine oil,” said ILMA counsel Jeff Leiter. “Some ILMA members have complained to me that the automaker has made confusing statements about its new engine oil and warranty coverage for new vehicles. It makes sense to hand a customer a copy of the FTC consumer alert, showing that the use of equivalent products should not affect warranty coverage.”

The FTC consumer alert can be viewed at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm.

Basically, the manufacturer has to prove that the malfunction was caused by the oil for the warranty to be voided. The statement in the owners' manual gives the owner the "out" for not using dexos oil. There are many irregularities in the owners manual: " If the temp. will drop below -20, you should use a 0W-30 dexos oil" There are No dexos 0W-30 dexos oils. Seems like the manual needs more work.

Good site for all oil related info:
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ and
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1798252&page=1

Thanks for the help,

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

I see many posts on low oil pressure and engine failures using one of those
    "snake oils" in NEW vehicles. Heres a amsoil dealer/seller guy with engine
    issues on his new truck:
    http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...6890&hl=amsoil

You can quote the Mag-Moss act till the cows come home BUT its up to
    YOU to prove the mod/non spec oil/etc DIDN'T cause the issue/failure.
    Meanwhile your vehicle sits there BROKEN!

Just sayin..................

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    I see many posts on low oil pressure and engine failures using one of those
    "snake oils" in NEW vehicles. Heres a amsoil dealer/seller guy with engine
    issues on his new truck:
    http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...6890&hl=amsoil

You can quote the Mag-Moss act till the cows come home BUT its up to
    YOU to prove the mod/non spec oil/etc DIDN'T cause the issue/failure.
    Meanwhile your vehicle sits there BROKEN!

Just sayin..................
    sonjaab is 100% correct.

Unless you are wealthy and don't mind losing, a legal battle with a manufacturer is almost always a losing proposition. By the time your court case comes up in a couple of years (in which you'll have been making payments on an undriveable car) it would have been easier to use the spec oil the manual called for, and a heck of a lot cheaper. The aftermarket has never been super swift to adapt to changes in manufacturer designs and specifications.

Walking
    Thanks

Considering the history of Amsoil, I've never thought of it as "Snake Oil"; that only comes from ignorant, misinformed individuals. I won't be going past the OLM as far as time and/or distance. I will not consider going past the OLM while under warranty. The Amsoil XL 5W-30 that I'm using is API certified, SN GF-5 dexos spec oil. It is also cheaper than all the oils on the GM dexos list; but that wasn't the issue. I asked the question to GM customer service about whether or not an oil has to be on the dexos list for warranty purposes or if any dexos-spec. oil would be fine? They said that No an oil does not have to be on their list, as long as it meets dexos specs., is GF-5 SN rated and has the API starburst there would be no issues.
    On the truck issue, assuming that the oil is causing the oil pressure problem is very premature considering all the issues that GM has with some of their engines and, yes I agree that going 16K on oil with a truck under warranty is foolish, but I wouldn't bet on the oil causing the issue without further investigation first.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not going to go into what oil you should run or not, run what you like and hope for the best.....

As far as changing the oil on a Ecotec, very easy. THis is on an HHR, but should be fairly similiar on yours.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-change-97852/

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Considering the history of Amsoil, I've never thought of it as "Snake Oil"; that only comes from ignorant, misinformed individuals. but I wouldn't bet on the oil causing the issue without further investigation first.
    Hmmmm...............Plenty of "ignorant and misinformed individuals" in the MANY posts when you Google up "amsoil use and engine failures".................

So for me then no more investigating is necessary!
    But I guess if your one of those "snake oil zealots" and i am just ignorant and should ignore those LIARS that are posting engine issues using that stuff and just "follow the leader" take your word and just buy the stuff eh????????

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

amsoil is very aggressive at marketing.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    Hmmmm...............Plenty of "ignorant and misinformed individuals" in the MANY posts when you Google up "amsoil use and engine failures".................

So for me then no more investigating is necessary!
    But I guess if your one of those "snake oil zealots" and i am just ignorant and should ignore those LIARS that are posting engine issues using that stuff and just "follow the leader" take your word and just buy the stuff eh????????
    I can pull many post from the TDR(dodge/cummins site) where people run VERY long drain intervals on their engines with Amsoil and back it up with oil analysis. Now most use dual by-pass filters with some makeup oil during filter changes but one did go in excess of 200K miles until having to change all the oil from fuel contamination from a bad fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by slls View Post
    amsoil is very aggressive at marketing.
    I think Valvoline has a more aggressive marketing team IMO.
    That said I don't care for the Amsoil multi-level marketing approach.
    While I don't sell Amsoil I use it, have it in my Diesel and quads. Ran Royal purple 75w-90 in diffs of other vehicles.

Walking
    Thanks

There are stories about all oils "causing" engine failures; Amsoil, Pennzoil, Mobil1, etc. Are they based on scientific analysis (i.e. oil analysis) or social myth ( i.e. "Pennzoil causes sludge" )? We've all heard these stories but need to look at all the facts. Oil related engine failures are very rare considering the technology going into oils now-days.
    Amsoil was the FIRST synthetic oil on the market in 1972 and has been used by thousands of customers over the years; I can not consider that "Snake Oil". Just like all oils; there are opponents and proponents. I never said that you should buy Amsoil; but you need to make your best, educated decision on an oil for your particular vehicle, be it Amsoil, Pennzoil,etc. GM suggests using dexos oils but says "that if dexos oils are not available, it is acceptable to use any API 5W-30 oil." I looked at Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State UD, Amsoil XL and Mobil1 prior to my decision and decided on Amsoil XL just over Mobil1. I like both oils but had to decide on one. I didn't mean to insult anyone but want to get my point across that everyone has to make the best decision for them based on all the facts and not myth. Thanks for all the help,

Vinnie

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information