Equinox a/c stinks and freezes up

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equinox a/c stinks and freezes up

Walking
    Thanks

Equinox a/c stinks and freezes up

2012 equinox the air conditioning smells moldy.

Cabin air filter clean.

Sprayed outside intake and filter box with lysol

helped for a week .whats the fix??

Also when on the recirc mode a/c freezes up

must turn of compressor to thaw out even when

97 degrees outside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: Equinox a/c stinks and freezes up

Quote Originally Posted by planetroadside View Post
    2012 equinox the air conditioning smells moldy.

Cabin air filter clean.

Sprayed outside intake and filter box with lysol

helped for a week .whats the fix??

Also when on the recirc mode a/c freezes up

must turn of compressor to thaw out even when

97 degrees outside.

Since this is a new vehicle, probably still covered under the new-car warranty - you should be asking your dealer this question.

Walking
    Thanks

dealer said there is nothing they can do.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

theres nothing you can do, i get customers all the time coming in saying theres a moldy smell when they turn the air on. did u just buy the car?

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

and i dont think theres a cabin filter in the new ones, just the older styles

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Go up the chain of command. NEW VEHICLE. This sort of dealer behavior is why GM went out of business.

If all else fails at the dealership level, try 1-800-462-8782. It's a number I found at random on an internet search after a dealer told us our 1600 dollar GPGXP radio's lack of AM reception was basically tough crap. "AM's on the way out anyway!"

Apparently they got a call from a GM case manager, and they were singing a different tune the next time we took the car in.

These assholes never learn, bankruptcy didn't even teach them anythng. Some people are, as my old man liked to say, HOPELESSLY STUPID.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by riviera35 View Post
    and i dont think theres a cabin filter in the new ones, just the older styles
    I would be very surprised if the cabin filter was deleted. It's almost a safety item at this point.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

There is a cabin filter.

Tell your dealer to research the afterblow module. It will turn your fan on after you park the car to blow the excess condensation off the evap coils. If they refuse to do it, find a different one that will.

In the mean time, if you use the AC, a few blocks from your destination turn off the AC and leave the fan on. It will help get the excess water off the coils.

We had the same problem on our Terrain.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

i have been fighting the dealer since 07 with my G5 about this. If i turn the ac on or the vent on the top of the dash my car smells like feet. its so nasty. they told me i have to clean the hvac system and it was going to be $220

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by 01sunfire01 View Post
    i have been fighting the dealer since 07 with my G5 about this. If i turn the ac on or the vent on the top of the dash my car smells like feet. its so nasty. they told me i have to clean the hvac system and it was going to be $220
    I'd be calling GM long ago. This crap should not be allowed to continue.

Since I had to call GM in on the local Buick idiot, and they eventually (5 visits IIRC) fixed the car's problems, after I sold the car I have never nor will I ever set foot in that dealership again.

These are the dealers GM should have shuttered. Stupidity, it trickles down.

Thanks

I have the same problem with my HHR which is used daily for very short trips. The AC coils do not have enough time to dry out before being parked in a hot garage. Thus mold. This has become common in newer cars because the HVAC systems are being designed much smaller, lighter and more efficient.

I poured bleach water into the cowl for several days and my smell went away after first getting much worse, the smell went from stinking feet to swimming pool locker room smell. After three days the smell was finally gone. I now turn off the air a few minutes before parking.

Changing the cabin filter will not help.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 ATS, 2012 E350

The dealer can simply turn on afterblow which will kick the blower motor on a few minutes after turning the key off, which dries out the evaporator and duct work.

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
    The dealer can simply turn on afterblow which will kick the blower motor on a few minutes after turning the key off, which dries out the evaporator and duct work.
    Sounds like this dealer is too busy.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

My extended warranty just ended i went over my miles. So im going to have to pay out of pocket to get this fixed. My g5 started doing the smell when i got back from my road trip around the US. We drove through 22 states and 6000 miles on the car and now you turn it on i have to keep the windows down till the smell is gone. one thing the dealer told me was i need to turn the button on to let the air from the outside come in and that will make the smell go away. that did not work lol

Banned
    Thanks

Seriously? You need to PM GM Customer Service over here, they will open a job card for you.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information