GM Inside News Forum banner

Embarrassed to ask, but...

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  bouda 
#1 ·
Not having worked on my own auto in too many years to mention, I need to ask what amounts to a really silly question to the average shadetree mechanic... I have a 2004 Malibu V6 and yesterday the Coolant Temperature Gauge quit working... I am assuming a faulty Coolant Temperature sensor, but when I opened the hood and tok a lot at the vast array of various sensors, I have no clue what I am actually looking for... Can someone point me in the general direction of the aforementioned sensor....please? Thanks in advance for any help or diagrams you may be able to offer....

#4 ·
I replaced mine about a year ago...can't remember exactly where it was, but near the front. I will look a little closer tomorrow if someone doesn't chime in before then.

#5 ·
GMCSonoma or shadams would've been able to help...too bad nobody knows where they are...:confused:

And it's nothing to be embarrassed about. You'd be even more embarrassed if you went ahead and starting replacing random sensors and ended up destroying the electronics in your car. Better safe than sorry.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know exactly where it is... but im guessing your thermostat needs to be replaced. It should be located where the upper radiator hose goes into the block/head, there should be a thermostat housing with 2 bolts to take off?

just a shot in the dark... but every car i've ever worked on thats exactly how its set up.

I need to know the correct engine size. 3.1? 3.4?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.