Does 3.5L V-6 LZE engine have UIM/LIM coolant problems like earlier 3x00 engines did?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does 3.5L V-6 LZE engine have UIM/LIM coolant problems like earlier 3x00 engines did?

Walking
    Thanks

Does 3.5L V-6 LZE engine have UIM/LIM coolant problems like earlier 3x00 engines did?

Hi!

I'm new to this forum. Considering purchasing a 2008 Impala with the 3.5L 211hp V-6. (LZE)

Had a 2002 Olds Alero with the 3400 V-6 that developed a coolant leak with less than 30K miles on it due to the LIM gasket issues.

I am hoping GM corrected this problem as I am reluctant to purchase another V-6 engine from GM without knowing this.

An information would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Does 3.5L V-6 LZE engine have UIM/LIM coolant problems like earlier 3x00 engines

All current (and most older ) 60 degree GM pushrod v6's have this same basica design. Gaskets and intake fasteners have been revised multiple times, and thus, the problems have been less in the last few years than five or so ago, but the issue is with the basic design. Usually, these motors develop more issues with oil leaks, and fewer with coolant, and usually they run hundreds of thousands of miles after the leak, but, sometimes they do still occur.

If you are too concerned to purchase one of these motors (which get better fuel economy than any V6 that has ever been on the market, consitently getting better than most four cylinders...), the 3.6L DOHC is a very well built motor, and their are very few problems with the 5.3L v8's in the Impala SS's that were built. Furthermore, the ecotec is doing absolutely great from the durability and fuel economy perspectives, while making better torque than the vast majority of its competitors.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Does 3.5L V-6 LZE engine have UIM/LIM coolant problems like earlier 3x00 engines

I have not had a V6 apart on a new Impala yet.In all honesty even the older V6's were not that bad.Sure the intakes would leak and head gaskets once in a awhile.But if you keep oil in them and take care of them they last forever.I have a 2008 Impala and absolutely love it.Great gas mileage,plenty of power,smooth ride etc.I have gotten 30MPG on road trips.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Speaking of 3.5 L, I have a 04 Malibu pushing 40 K, any problems with them.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

no coolant runs through the new style 3.5 engines and 3.9's. they use bypass pipes like someone said. ive never had the intake off one, but i have seen a few in for oil leaks around the intake.

not disagreeing with anyone here, but i havent heard alot of good news on the 3.6 liter. alot of people have had to replace/rebuild heads, and have had issues with things in the upper end of the engine. but like i said, i havent had any problems with any yet, thankfully. i would not want to have to time one of those 3.6 liter engines, they look like a total pain in the ass. and im sure they dont pay anything, like most warranty items.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slls View Post
    Speaking of 3.5 L, I have a 04 Malibu pushing 40 K, any problems with them.
    05 Malibu with 55,000 miles on it and no engine trouble. The interior is another story .
    "The best committee is the committee of one"
    -Bob Lutz

Walking
    Thanks

Question Re: Does 3.5L V-6 LZE engine have UIM/LIM coolant problems like earlier 3x00 engines

It's obviously been a while since this concern was addressed here.
    I have a 3.4L in my '99 Montana that was a victim of the intake manifold gasket problem.
    I am seriously considering a 2006 Montana with the 3.5 but I'm told by my mechanic that the same problem exists.

Can anyone confirm or comment?

Also curious whether anyone can comment on the existence of any goodwill secret warranty that might apply so I can get the potential problem fixed before it happens.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information