Did GM ever fix the gaskets on the 3.4?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did GM ever fix the gaskets on the 3.4?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Did GM ever fix the gaskets on the 3.4?

Hey guys,

I'm searching for a new (used) car right now and have pretty much settled on a used Impala.

The two cars which look best to me right now are a 2005 Impala base with 57k that is at a local Chevy dealer (82 year old woman traded it in for a Malibu), and a 2006 Impala LS with 47k that is being sold at a private lot (it is a lease return vehicle).

They are both in immaculate shape and I'd be happy with either, but the 2005 has an asking price that is $2000 less than the 06, and the dealer also seems more willing to negotiate on it.

My big worry is that the 2005 has the infamous 3.4L V6 while the 2006 has the 3.5L.

The 3.4, as we all know, is famous for gasket problems which cost about $1000 to fix and could lead to engine failure if not detected.

My big question is did GM ever get this problem fixed? I know that they finally released a better gasket that they install if yours needs to be replaced, but did they ever BUILD the cars with the better gaskets already in there? 2005 was the last year they used the engine in the Impala, so did it get a revised gasket, or is the $1000 repair something I'd have to look forward to eventually with that car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Did GM ever fix the gaskets on the 3.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm searching for a new (used) car right now and have pretty much settled on a used Impala.

The two cars which look best to me right now are a 2005 Impala base with 57k that is at a local Chevy dealer (82 year old woman traded it in for a Malibu), and a 2006 Impala LS with 47k that is being sold at a private lot (it is a lease return vehicle).

They are both in immaculate shape and I'd be happy with either, but the 2005 has an asking price that is $2000 less than the 06, and the dealer also seems more willing to negotiate on it.

My big worry is that the 2005 has the infamous 3.4L V6 while the 2006 has the 3.5L.

The 3.4, as we all know, is famous for gasket problems which cost about $1000 to fix and could lead to engine failure if not detected.

My big question is did GM ever get this problem fixed? I know that they finally released a better gasket that they install if yours needs to be replaced, but did they ever BUILD the cars with the better gaskets already in there? 2005 was the last year they used the engine in the Impala, so did it get a revised gasket, or is the $1000 repair something I'd have to look forward to eventually with that car?
    I really don't know about the gasket, but as someone who has owned both styles (a 3.8 in the 2005 though), I have to say that GM made HUGE strides in quality and design between the 2005 style and the 2006 style impalas. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my 2005, but my 2009 is 10x the car, and I'm really shocked by that. For $2000 difference...hard to say what to do, but I wonder if you might not be a bit disappointed in a 3.4 in that large of a vehicle, as compared to the 3.5. The new 3.5 seems to have as much power (if not more) than the 3.8 did, so I would imagine the 3.4 felt a bit sluggish in an impala...

Just my $0.02 though...
    Current vehicles:
    2013 Malibu 1LT
    2012 Edge SEL (Ecoboost)

Previous vehicles:
    2011 Ford Fusion SE
    2009 Impala 1LT
    2006 Volkwagen Jetta
    2007 Saturn Aura XE
    2005 Impala LS
    2002 Explorer Sport
    2002 Kia Spectra GSX
    2001 Ranger 4x4 4.0(SOHC)
    1998 Ranger 4x4 4.0(OHV)
    1986 Delta 88

Thanks

I don't think I'd have any concerns about acceleration of the 3.4L in the Impala, we had a U-body van with the 3400 and it did perfectly well. Only concern would be depending on what you're coming out of. It lists a Regal GS in your sidebar information so either Impala wouldn't be as quick as a supercharged 3800

I've heard somewhat mixed on whether or not they used the improved parts on the older 60-degree V6s. Actually the '05 you're looking at may even have had it replaced (or needed it replaced and hence the trade in...hmm). Can the dealer pull up a service history if they worked on it? Do you have a mechanic that could check it out?

But I'd tend to agree with Opusnbill, the '06 model was a pretty solid improvement in a number of ways too.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Walking
    Thanks

'03 and up had the revised intake gaskets.
    It only cost me a couple hundred to get mine replaced on the 97 lumina, but it wasn't at the dealer.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6

I think the extra $2000 on the '06 Impala would be a worthwhile investment. The new models have such huge strides in quality and comfort that it would be hard to believe they are only one generation apart. I've been in several of the older models, and my grandfather owns a '06 Impala SS and they are just better cars. His car has been troublefree except for the TPS monitoring system going crazy (when he first bought it). It's comfortable, good looking, great on gas, and affordable to maintain.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

The 3400 even though it has the updated gaskets in 2003 still suffers intake leak issues along with the 3100 engine. That is why GM finally cancelled both engines and came out with the new improved 3500/3900 engines. The Equinox China 3400 uses the old 3400 block but has the newer better designed intake that doesn't seem to suffer the issues that plagued the 96-05 3400 and 94-05 3100 engines. I agree about the 06 Impala. It is a better car and the 3500 is a big improvement over the old 3400 in NVH, power and durability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    The 3400 even though it has the updated gaskets in 2003 still suffers intake leak issues along with the 3100 engine. That is why GM finally cancelled both engines and came out with the new improved 3500/3900 engines. The Equinox China 3400 uses the old 3400 block but has the newer better designed intake that doesn't seem to suffer the issues that plagued the 96-05 3400 and 94-05 3100 engines. I agree about the 06 Impala. It is a better car and the 3500 is a big improvement over the old 3400 in NVH, power and durability.
    I have had my beretta 3.1 motor for 7+ years & I think it's original gasket. 230,000 miles+. But it uses the old mean green coolant. I hear the orange coolant it the cause.
    But what do I know
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

My wife's parents have a 2005 base Impala, and they had to have the intake replaced about a year ago. It was still under warranty, so I don't know the cost, but I would think this problem hasn't been completely addressed.
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 -- 71,000 miles
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT -- 102,000 miles

Family: 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ, 2012 Chevrolet Volt; 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS; 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD; 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT; 2005 Chevrolet Impala

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information