Dead 07 Saturn Aura

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead 07 Saturn Aura

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks

Dead 07 Saturn Aura

I finally ditched my faithful Elantra and replaced it with a 2007 Saturn Aura XR with the nice 3.6 engine. I bought it with 40,000 miles showing and now have 47,000 on it.

No problems until it sat unused 4 days at Christmas time. I jumped in then and got nothing but solenoid hammer when trying to fire it up. Pulled the battery, which was down, btw, and got it charged and load tested. Surprisingly, the battery tested good. Uh oh. Reinstalled battery and it fired right up, of course. It then sat for 2 days, and wouldn't even kick the solenoid when I tried it again.

My question is, can a bad battery load test good? I kind of doubt that. About all that leaves that I can see is a rather substantial drain when the key is off. Too substantial to be normal. I haven't added or changed anything on the car, electrical or otherwise. It does have a insurance company tattletale on it, but that's been on for months and I couldn't imagine it drawing juice like that anyway.

I could buy a new battery, but that would be pointless if it isn't the problem. Should I get it load tested elsewhere? I don't want to disconnect the battery every time I turn it off. That solution would have worked if the problem were on the Elantra, but the Aura has an image to uphold.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Tim
    I may be shallow, but counter it by also being dense. Tim

TacticoolTim on the Saiga 12 forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dead 07 Saturn Aura

Yes, a bad battery can load test good.

Many times.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Keep it simple. spend the few dollars and get a nice new battery. Not worth the headaches.

My 2008 corvette needed a new battery out of the blue two years (~24k miles) into service.

I'm wasn't too thrilled to crawl in through the trunk..(electric doors so I had to use the hatch.)

Wouldn't hold a charge. Bought a new battery and all is good since then (about a year)

Good luck and the aura is a nice car.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post

I'm wasn't too thrilled to crawl in through the trunk..(electric doors so I had to use the hatch.)
    I know off topic, but there are handles in the trunk that open the doors just in case the battery or electric system fails.

Thanks

Thanks all. I'll splurge on a shiny new battery although I'm still not sure that's the problem. We shall see.

I agree with your comment on the Aura JB and although it's no Z06 it does have surprisingly good acceleration from the little 3.6.

Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    I know off topic, but there are handles in the trunk that open the doors just in case the battery or electric system fails.
    Ya I was gonna point this out, get a better salesman to show you next time you in, kind of an important thing to know as you found out..... I beleive its a red or yellow handle, on the driver side in hte hatch.
    Last edited by MalibuMaxxSS; 01-05-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    Thanks guys..I'm aware of the handles between the door and the seat in the corvette to open the door if the battery goes out...and your in the car...

BUT....if your not in the car and the battery goes out...you have to open the trunk with the little key in the fob....and crawl through the hatch...to get into the drivers seat...to open the hood to attach a jumper cable etc...
    (edit) your saying there are handles in the trunk as well! LOL Got it! I'll take a look now. Thanks as I thought that was the gas cover emergency pull but as you suggested its actually to open the drivers door! learn something new everyday!)

Do it once or twice and its clearly better to buy a new battery for 80 dollars or whatever it costs.... I did it and was laughing how I was too dam old for this sh T! crawling through the trunk to get into the car etc... LOL Now I learned from Chevy rules there are two pulls in the trunk ..one for the gas door and one for the drivers door! THANKS GUYS! Still its better to buy a new battery than to mess around for a few dollars ...Getting stuck sucks and batteries are relatively cheap and easy to install...Worst case scenerio its still one of the first places to start to resolve the issue.

I dig the Aura especially with the 3.6 liter motor and six speed automatic.

Enjoy and let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 01-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

for some reason- yr 3 or 4 is when the factory batteries seem to flake out.
    This gathered from many dead battery post online.
    That is why I make it a habit to replace mine at 4 yrs.

(on a side note- few months ago- missus had starting issues, couple days prior I was washing her 07 Impala- and thought-- its about time I change out this battery before it fails away from home).
    Well 2 days later she calls me- starter barely turns engine over. she just happened to be 3 miles away- I drive over- turn off all accesories, interios lamps, dont step on brakes- and crank.
    whirr- whirr- vroooommmm
    I said- go straight home. I replaced the battery when I got home.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Thanks guys..I'm aware of the handles between the door and the seat in the corvette to open the door if the battery goes out...and your in the car...

BUT....if your not in the car and the battery goes out...you have to open the trunk with the little key in the fob....and crawl through the hatch...to get into the drivers seat...to open the hood to attach a jumper cable etc...
    (edit) your saying there are handles in the trunk as well! LOL Got it! I'll take a look now. Thanks as I thought that was the gas cover emergency pull but as you suggested its actually to open the drivers door! learn something new everyday!)

Do it once or twice and its clearly better to buy a new battery for 80 dollars or whatever it costs.... I did it and was laughing how I was too dam old for this sh T! crawling through the trunk to get into the car etc... LOL Now I learned from Chevy rules there are two pulls in the trunk ..one for the gas door and one for the drivers door! THANKS GUYS! Still its better to buy a new battery than to mess around for a few dollars ...Getting stuck sucks and batteries are relatively cheap and easy to install...Worst case scenerio its still one of the first places to start to resolve the issue.
    GM may have been crap back when they designed the C6, but they were not that stupid not to have a way to open the doors from the outside just in case the battery dies or the electric system failed.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I would suggest GM was far from Crap when they designed the C6 Corvette.

This is one hell of supercar that accelerates handles and brakes at world class levels.

Good moderating chevy rules. Chevyrules loves his bimmer 318i as we all know it's the ultimate driving machine. Nice car and respect your helpful insight.

My recommendation stands to the original poster and I hope your new battery resolves the issue.
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 01-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

I would suggest GM was far from Crap when they designed the C6 Corvette.

This is one hell of supercar that accelerates handles and brakes at world class levels.

Good moderating chevy rules. Chevyrules loves his bimmer 318i as we all know it's the ultimate driving machine. Nice car and respect your helpful insight.
    Note I was talking about GM in general not specifically the 'Vette. Remember when the C6 was designed we had Aztek's, CSV minivans, Cavaliars, 2004 Malibu, etc which were all piss poor vehicles. The only thing GM was able to do back in that era was trucks, SUV's, and Corvette.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 iluvcamaros's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

A tip to everyone: read your owner's manual you will learn something you didn't know I promise

You can of course skip over stuff like "Highway Hypnosis" and "This is your seatbelt and you should wear it because..."

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration Edition
    2001 Buick Regal LS
    2001 Chevrolet S-10 4WD

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by iluvcamaros View Post
    A tip to everyone: read your owner's manual you will learn something you didn't know I promise

You can of course skip over stuff like "Highway Hypnosis" and "This is your seatbelt and you should wear it because..."
    You and chevy rules are right! I know for a fact...I did NOT spend the time to read the owners manual and now it even comes as a CD or even an app?

I have to admit.....I get so dam excited everytime I buy a new corvette...that I just want to start up and enjoy the driving this BEAST! ...(can you blame me?????)

I realize reading the owners manual to find out there were two wires in the left trunk area of my vette should have eventually been a priority....but it just never made my list of things to do...and so I suffered the 5 seconds climbing in through the trunk to open the hood.. but What the hell...it was a good laugh at the very least.

I did after Chevy rules suggestion read the owners manual and lo and behold it was right there...So you guys are definitely right....So now I know! LOL Hopefully with a new battery every few years I wont have to bother but if I do...I'm armed with knowledge to get into a dead battery vette more gracefully..

To be honest..At the time.. I was just glad I remebered there was a secret key hiding in the key fob of the vette and that I knew there was a little secret key hole upside the rear license plate.. Thanks Guys!

That said...to the original poster...Replacing a dying battery can usually save you a lot of headaches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
    for some reason- yr 3 or 4 is when the factory batteries seem to flake out.
    This gathered from many dead battery post online.
    That is why I make it a habit to replace mine at 4 yrs.
    Is that GM or in general? Ironically, since I had to use my wife's car to haul mine in, I had them check it too. (I knew it was getting weak.) It tested bad while mine showed good, but it's still getting me around. It's a 2003 Nissan Xterra with the original battery. Her birthday is in March so maybe I can buy her one then and claim it's a birthday present. Then again, maybe not.

You and chevy rules are right! I know for a fact...I did NOT spend the time to read the owners manual and now it even comes as a CD or even an app?

I have to admit.....I get so dam excited everytime I buy a new corvette...that I just want to start up and enjoy the driving this BEAST! ...(can you blame me?????)

I realize reading the owners manual to find out there were two wires in the left trunk area of my vette should have eventually been a priority....but it just never made my list of things to do...and so I suffered the 5 seconds climbing in through the trunk to open the hood.. but What the hell...it was a good laugh at the very least.

I did after Chevy rules suggestion read the owners manual and lo and behold it was right there...So you guys are definitely right....So now I know! LOL Hopefully with a new battery every few years I wont have to bother but if I do...I'm armed with knowledge to get into a dead battery vette more gracefully..

To be honest..At the time.. I was just glad I remebered there was a secret key hiding in the key fob of the vette and that I knew there was a little secret key hole upside the rear license plate.. Thanks Guys!

That said...to the original poster...Replacing a dying battery can usually save you a lot of headaches.
    I don't mind at all spending 100 bucks as long as it resolves the problem. I just hope it does. The thing is, I've replaced numerous batteries over the years and this is the first one I've had that has given zero advance warning. That's what has me worrying if there are electrical gremlins lurking in my car partying on it's juice at my expense. I shall replace it tomorrow.

BTW, I refuse to laugh at anyone who's attempting to help me out but will admit to snickering a bit picturing you crawling in the hatch of your Corvette. I hope no one was around to see it and make it humiliating to boot.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Is that GM or in general? Ironically, since I had to use my wife's car to haul mine in, I had them check it too. (I knew it was getting weak.) It tested bad while mine showed good, but it's still getting me around. It's a 2003 Nissan Xterra with the original battery. Her birthday is in March so maybe I can buy her one then and claim it's a birthday present. Then again, maybe not.

I don't mind at all spending 100 bucks as long as it resolves the problem. I just hope it does. The thing is, I've replaced numerous batteries over the years and this is the first one I've had that has given zero advance warning. That's what has me worrying if there are electrical gremlins lurking in my car partying on it's juice at my expense. I shall replace it tomorrow.

BTW, I refuse to laugh at anyone who's attempting to help me out but will admit to snickering a bit picturing you crawling in the hatch of your Corvette. I hope no one was around to see it and make it humiliating to boot.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well...since my dead battery climbing in the trunk of the vette story is giving you a good laugh at a time when you could use it...Let me finish the whole story....

So my 14 year old severly autistic child, his shaggy dog and I are at the dog park on a beautiful summer afternoon. We were having such a great time..that we hung out till it was getting dark out... Lo and behold as we go back to the car...and the doors don't open the vehicle......

I'm like what the fu c ...Luckily I left the roof off as I do most of the summer....but I always leave the windows up so no one can reach in and take crap in the car....So what do I do? I got a kid I can't leave alone for two seconds because he's autistic...and he can run away...maybe get run over etc....so....

First I pick up the black shaggy hungarian sheep dog over the roof and into the car...then...I pick up the kid over the roof and put him in the car..Remember the kids a 14 year old autistic kid that doesn't like being touched, much less having his entire body lifted over the roof and the closed windows of the vette and dropped into the seat..

Of course getting him to understand where the lever is to open the door between the seat and the door is a complete waste of time..LOL

I then remember I got the key to open the trunk..I open the trunk...take out the stored roof in the trunk...lay it down carefully on some grass near the car.......and at that point...I crawl my @ss through...and into the front seat...to pop the hood..and wait for the GM 24 hour service...

Tell me the truth...after going through all this ...Do you think I give two sh ts if it looks embarrassing? LOL

Of course by this time....the County police come by as I'm waiting for the 24 hour roadside because its pitch dark at this point and the park closes at dusk..and they want me to leave the park..

I tell them the story about the car, the kid and the 24 hour service I'm waiting for.....All they say is I can't leave the car overnight... and I'm like don't worry I'm leaving the vette in the park over night....So they hang out and wait with us.. its taking so long....its past the kids bedtime etc..and its pitch black out...with nothing to do no less.....so....

In the meantime I call my wife to come and get the kid and the dog so I wait alone. My wife who of course doesn't know where the park is or the park entrance is...Drives down the one way road to my car the wrong way right in front of the county police who usually love to ticket people for what she is doing right then and there.......but my wife who is cute and so discombomulated (sp) over the whole thing.....about the car getting stuck with me and the kid and the dog...and it being dark and she doesn't know where she is going blah..blah..blah.......they let her go with just a warning.. LOL

The 24 hour roadside assistance guy finally shows up.. The dog and the kid and my wife are safely at home.. The county cop doesn't give me a ticket for being in the park hours after dark...and I decide its time to just go out and get a new battery!

Thats a long story that believe it or not puts a smile on my face with a chuckle remembering it.... now that I've given every detail.

The moral of the story is....a new battery may or may not solve your issue with the aura but most likely it will. Its a good first step in diagnosing your issue. The fact that the car is a 2007 leads me to suggest thats all it is and if it were my money? I'd go that route first..

Hope you enjoyed my battery story! I know I had a good chuckle remembering it..

Good luck!

JB
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 01-06-2011 at 05:49 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information