Dashboard instrument cluster gauges temporarily dead

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard instrument cluster gauges temporarily dead

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Question Dashboard instrument cluster gauges temporarily dead

2003 Chevy Suburban, 2500, 6L;

Has anyone come accross the situation where the instrument cluster gauges (RPM, Spedo-meter, Fuel Gauge, Eng./ Transm. gauge Voltage gauge, and the LED mileage gauge), are dead on start-up, and then come back to life while driving?

Ground point failure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: Dashboard instrument cluster gauges temporarily dead

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilver View Post

Has anyone come accross the situation where the instrument cluster gauges (RPM, Spedo-meter, Fuel Gauge, Eng./ Transm. gauge Voltage gauge, and the LED mileage gauge), are dead on start-up, and then come back to life while driving?

Ground point failure?
    That or the BCM is flaky. I had a 2000 Saturn wagon that would do such weird things and it was the BCM. It could also be a faulty/intermittent PC board trace.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilver View Post

Ground point failure?

GM had problems with some of the gauge clusters on their trucks having a high defect rate, including the Suburban. Chevrolet issued a "satisfaction campaign" which extended the warranty on the clusters. I don't know all the details / models involved, but perhaps one of our dealer members will chime in. If not, contact your dealer to find out more. Please note that the campaign was not a recall.

Good luck.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ed753's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

One of my Jimmy's did the exact same thing, can't remember if it was my 1996 or the 2000, but I do know the truck wasn't that old, because it was still under bumper-to-bumper. The only thing they did was replace the ignition switch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    One of my Jimmy's did the exact same thing, can't remember if it was my 1996 or the 2000, but I do know the truck wasn't that old, because it was still under bumper-to-bumper. The only thing they did was replace the ignition switch.
    Thanks to all for brain-storming the issue. I reviewed the bulletin for the special care, however my Burb has too much mileage to qualify.

As it appears there's a choice of potentials for the fault, an instrument cluster panel, ignition switch, ground point or BCM

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Its prob. the cluster and heres the TSB and info.
    But instead of throwing parts at it your better off taking it to a dealer and paying the hour diagnosis charge to be sure................

If it is the cluster and you don't fall under the TSB time/mileage limits there are a few cluster rebuilders on fleabay. Its a easy DIY job!

# 07187C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function - (Mar 20, 2009)
    Subject:
    07187C -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models:
    2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT
    2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)
    2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE
    2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)
    2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL
    2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE CERTAIN 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES IN THE U.S. ADDITIONALLY, FOR U.S. 2003-2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, GM WILL PROVIDE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) ONLY, AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER FOR VERIFIED FAILURES BETWEEN 70,001 MILES (110,001 KM) AND 80,000 MILES (130,000 KM). ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS, INCLUDING LABOR TO REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER, WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CUSTOMER. DEALERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN OF THE CUSTOMER'S IPC BACK TO THE ELECTRONIC SERVICE CENTER. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 07187B, ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge. Special Coverage Adjustment This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Thanks for the TSB Sonjaab.
    The IPC's speedometer dial sometimes sticks when outdoor temps
    are below freezing, so the TSB would probably cover that, though not with
    my mileage (250Km). As for the entire IPC, when it goes dead,
    its complete, including the odometer and shift position indicators.
    No lights, no movement.

On a recent occasion with the IPC being dead upon engine start-up,
    I checked with an OBD scanner and confirmed that the
    signals are alive, but just not being displayed by the IPC.
    As I slowly turned the ignition key counter-clockwise from RUN mode to
    Accessory mode, certain led's suddenly began to glow faintly
    on the IPC. This made me think of Ed's comment that the ignition switch
    module may be failing.

I'll post back when I solve the mystery.

FUT
    Walking
    Thanks

Angry Re: Dashboard instrument cluster gauges temporarily dead

I just signed up cause I was looking for the same answer,But the puzzle may be over.
    I just got 2 of my trucks fixed today.o3-Chev & 04-GM.G.The service manager unknowingly gave it up.I was told that in order to have it fixed for free, the criteria was met,year and km.AND one other not mentioned anywhere.very specific defect.When the cluster is removed and sent out for reconflguring they are looking for 1 specific thing(didn't make sense to me at first either)GAS GAUGE.
    Are you like me when I drove to remote areas and put as much gas in till no more could go in?That's when my problems began.At 1st intermitent,finally all gone.Over filling your tank will snap or over exert and sends a message back to mother and shut you down.Thinking back every time I lost my instrumentation was when I did just that.UNBELIEVABLE.
    Check with your dealer to confirm this,if they concur,game over.....
    AS far as criteria? both trucks well over 200k.BEWARE ,,I took them to 2 other dealerships before this one,both said I wasn't covered,they want to collect from you and GM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FUT View Post
    I just signed up cause I was looking for the same answer,But the puzzle may be over.
    I just got 2 of my trucks fixed today.o3-Chev & 04-GM.G.The service manager unknowingly gave it up.I was told that in order to have it fixed for free, the criteria was met,year and km.AND one other not mentioned anywhere.very specific defect.When the cluster is removed and sent out for reconflguring they are looking for 1 specific thing(didn't make sense to me at first either)GAS GAUGE.
    Are you like me when I drove to remote areas and put as much gas in till no more could go in?That's when my problems began.At 1st intermitent,finally all gone.Over filling your tank will snap or over exert and sends a message back to mother and shut you down.Thinking back every time I lost my instrumentation was when I did just that.UNBELIEVABLE.
    Check with your dealer to confirm this,if they concur,game over.....
    AS far as criteria? both trucks well over 200k.BEWARE ,,I took them to 2 other dealerships before this one,both said I wasn't covered,they want to collect from you and GM.

Wow! Someone sure fed you a bunch of crap.
    Fuel has nothing at all to do with the IP cluster problems.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    Wow! Someone sure fed you a bunch of crap.
    Fuel has nothing at all to do with the IP cluster problems.
    I agree, I don't think fuel is the issue. I thought it was a faulty circuit board in the gauge cluster, but I'm not 100% on that. The thing that over filling the tank will mess up on these trucks is the gas tank vent tube. It happened to mine and was not covered under the extended warranty (emission equipment not included ). That cost me $500 and it's not like I'd pump and pump as much as possible. I would normally just top it off to the nearest dollar. I was also not the original owner, I'm the 2nd owner. The problem I had was I would get an engine light and it would be the usual gas cap code, so the dealer replaced the gas cap (I paid for that too). That didn't fix it. Every time I filled up my tank, then got to around half way through, the engine light would come on.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Thanks

The problem with the IP clusters is the "stepper motors" that operate the guages. One motor on each guage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    The problem with the IP clusters is the "stepper motors" that operate the guages. One motor on each guage.
    YES! That's it.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Walking
    Thanks

i have a 2005 gmc sierra z71 and truck starts but all gauges are dead only thing on is battery light and the abs thing i thought it was battery but put a new one and same thing truck starts and drives but all gauges dead,nothing as far as power windows or locks no longer work even the key fob for the locking and unlocking of doors wants to work anybody had this issue? Or know what it might be? Please let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sspower76 View Post
    i have a 2005 gmc sierra z71 and truck starts but all gauges are dead only thing on is battery light and the abs thing i thought it was battery but put a new one and same thing truck starts and drives but all gauges dead,nothing as far as power windows or locks no longer work even the key fob for the locking and unlocking of doors wants to work anybody had this issue? Or know what it might be? Please let me know.
    Yes, if you read earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that it is the gauge cluster, itself and it needs to be replaced.

BTW, I think you said the only problem is that the cluster is dead, except the battery light is on. Everything else works, including windows and door locks. You typed a small wall of text without any capitalization and 2 punctuation marks (? and . at the end). It would be easier to understand if you would put it together a little nicer.
    Last edited by Uzzy; 06-07-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sspower76 View Post
    Check your "guages" fuse 1st before condemning the cluster. It's rare for all guages to be dead at once.....

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information