damper/balancer removal 3800

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: damper/balancer removal 3800

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

damper/balancer removal 3800

I'm getting conflicting info. Does removing the damper require a puller on a 1988 olds 3800?

The pages from the manual that Cemax posted (see prior post on CPS Olds 3800) say: "The damper should pull off the crankshaft by hand"

But that manuel is for a buick and a different year I believe.
    the picture looks totally different than what I got.

Another post by Lynch Mob says you need a kent moore puller #J38197 which when I look up a picture looks like it bolts to three holes on the damper which are not there on mine

It makes sense that it might pull off by hand because there are no holes on my balancer for a puller to bolt to.

Can anyone shed some more light on this. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 cemaxc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Corvette/2001/Magnetic Red

Re: damper/balancer removal 3800

Your probably getting sick of me at this point.

The cover of my manual says....

Buick, Oldsmobile & Pontiac Full-Size models
    1985 thru 1998 Front-wheel drive

Its based on a complete teardown and rebuild of Delta 88
    Current Family Rides:
    Mine: 2006 Saturn Vue
    2001 Chevrolet Corvette
    Sisters: 2008 Saab 9-7x
    Moms: 2011 Buick Enclave
    Dads: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1994 Chevrolet Suburban
    1986 Buick LeSabre

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Cemax, I'm definitely not getting sick of someone trying to help somebody else. That is what these boards are all about. I really appreciate your input. Those pages from hayes are great and lead me to believe that I can just remove the crankshaft bolt and yank the balancer off by hand.

I'm just seeing if someone had dealt with this specific job (removing the balancer). Just trying to get more input before I go at it again, so I can have the proper tool if needed. Thanks

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    There is a special installer for the crank sensor, also the balancer needs to come off.

What do you mean a "special installer" , do you mean a tool to align the sensor? The sensor I bought came with a new bracket and the position of the sensor is adjustable the instructions say to use a brass feeler gauge and maintain .020" clearance.

I don't feel this CPS is a difficult job to do.

My only question is do I need a puller to remove the balancer or not. If so then how does it attach to the balancer as there are no holes for it to bolt to.

I agree there is no substitute for a factory service manual and perhaps i will get one. I am however, in the mean while, trying to get info on the balancer removal from a tech or someone who has done this before.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDINMD
    What do you mean a "special installer" , do you mean a tool to align the sensor? The sensor I bought came with a new bracket and the position of the sensor is adjustable the instructions say to use a brass feeler gauge and maintain .020" clearance.

I don't feel this CPS is a difficult job to do.

My only question is do I need a puller to remove the balancer or not. If so then how does it attach to the balancer as there are no holes for it to bolt to.

I agree there is no substitute for a factory service manual and perhaps i will get one. I am however, in the mean while, trying to get info on the balancer removal from a tech or someone who has done this before.
    I am pretty sure you need the puller.I am GM Tech at a Buick dealer.I have not worked on an older style 3800 in awhile.We mostly see the new style 3800 series 2.But i am pretty sure you need the puller still.When i get to work tomorrow i will double check for you.The puller uses 3 real small bolts.If you look closely you will see slots on the balancer.Look inside and you can see where the puller bolts screw into.The puller bolts are 3/8" or 7/16".

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

I just checked Alldata to see if they listed a puller.They do not list a puller.If you do not have air tools you are gonna need to hold the flywheel with a pry bar.Remove the balancer bolt,i think it is 15/16" socket you will need.Remove the bolt pull on the balancer and see what happens.It might just slide right off.Like i said it has been awhile since i worked on an older 3800.Good luck,let me know what happens.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Thanks Lynch, and everyone else that replied. I'm gonna try to do it sometime this week. Hopefully the balancer will come off easily, if not I have a plasma cutter(kidding). I took the car for a drive after I put in the cam pos sens, and it still died. I'll let you know how it goes.

Walking
    Thanks

got problems with 93 chevy stepside need help

Thanks

link:
    http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8015de2b.jsp

so do you have a stalling problem? can you describe?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    A commentary: IMHO the Haynes brand of manual is very vague and seemingly misleading in some cases, if one is really serious about DYI car repairs, an investment in a factory service manual is recommended, then there is no guess work.
    yeah, I find chilton's better (and autozone online)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnd89
    link:
    http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8015de2b.jsp

so do you have a stalling problem? can you describe?
    See my other post below this one tittled "1988 oldsmobile 98 cutting off-no codes"

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=12109

Most people tend to agree its most likely the crank position sensor so I am trying that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDINMD
    See my other post below this one tittled "1988 oldsmobile 98 cutting off-no codes"

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=12109

Most people tend to agree its most likely the crank position sensor so I am trying that.
    I have a '91 park ave with the L27 3.8 engine.
    when the MAF died (no codes) it would crank, but die right away.
    most sensors you can diagnose following the autozone steps.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Mine starts right up runs great then it will just die after about 15-20 min. It usually refires right away sometimes it takes a few seconds or sometimes a few minutes.

Thanks

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8015e42d.jsp

unfortunately I see you need an oscilloscope to test your old sensor...
    if you allready changed this (and alligned properly - they're very sensitive) check the harness (if the wires don't rub against metal or other stuff).

you may need to diagnose all the sensors you can and harness, if everything checks out ok, you may have a bad ecm or ignition module (but in those cases the engine would idle/run like crap all the time)...
    you may also want to search/post in www.automotiveforums.com you can find some answers...

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information