Cruise control in 2004 Malibu not working

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cruise control in 2004 Malibu not working

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 page2171's Avatar
    Thanks

Cruise control in 2004 Malibu not working

Hi all! I am having problems with the cruise control in my 2004 Malibu. The button on the steering wheel does not work to set the cruise. Occasionally it works, but those occasions are getting fewer and farther between. I use the cruise a lot on base because it keeps me from getting a speeding ticket from the speed nazis on base. Is it the button...or something else?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 69Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cruise control in 2004 Malibu not working

If it only works once in a while I'd guess it's the button. Next time try playing with it- i.e. wiggling it around when setting it to se if it works that way. That could be a pretty good sign.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC
    1969 Chevy C/10 383 stroker

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

check it with a tech 2. you can see if the button is sending a signal to it.
    other than that, its TAC so you cant do it the old way with a test light going to the cruise module. it wont be an issue with the TAC. when that fails all hell breaks lose.

if you can get your hands on a tech 2 it will tell you the reason for disabling cruise. had some before where the brake pedal position sensor, was the cause. could be a switch, but if the system says its getting power to it and a sensor is telling the system not to work, then its an issue with a sensor.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 page2171's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks! I think they have a Tech 2 at the auto hobby shop here on base. I will check there and see if I can figure this out.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

i ordered a switch/butten for the one i ran into with this problem.. but never got it back..

it happened to my buddys car.. ion.. same type switch and he said there was an update with the computer that would fix it .. he did that and never fixed it as far as i know he did order a switch for his.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by page2171
    Hi all! I am having problems with the cruise control in my 2004 Malibu. The button on the steering wheel does not work to set the cruise. Occasionally it works, but those occasions are getting fewer and farther between. I use the cruise a lot on base because it keeps me from getting a speeding ticket from the speed nazis on base. Is it the button...or something else?

Thanks!
    I have a cruise control problem with a rented 2005 Mailbu, in that it just kicked in, and accelerated the car when I hadn't even engaged the cruise control. I was driving along on RT 95 South, in North Carolina when suddenly the car just took off and the cruise control had come on spontaneously, and the car kept going faster and faster, and would brake the car, slow it down, and then it would take off again. I had to pull over to the side of the road and turn off the engine. I waited about 2 minutes and started the car up again. No more problems the rest of that day.

Then the next morning, while returning to Richmond, Va from North Carolina, no sooner had I crossed over into Virginia, than the cruise control just came on, by itself again, and the car took off like a bat out of hell. I again pulled off the road, turned off the engine, and that seemd to fix the problem. The cruise control did not come on spontaneously anymore.

Walking
    Thanks

Got an 03 malibu doing close to the same thing. cant set the cruise no problem but then it will quit then not come back on for a while. don't have to turn the car off to fix or anything it will just start working again. it does it randomly any ideas where to start??

thanks

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC JiminSTLouis's Avatar
    Thanks

Next time you can't turn the cruise on, put your toe under the break pedal and pull it up. I'm not sure if there is a separate cruise control switch, or if it uses the break light switch but that may be bad.
    jim

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information