Coolant reservoir look milky, oily, and dirty

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant reservoir look milky, oily, and dirty

Walking
    Thanks

Coolant reservoir look milky, oily, and dirty

After changing a new radiator on my 300c srt8 chrysler, I started to noticed the coolant reservoir looking
    Kind of milky,oily, and residue-ish. First thing on my mind is a blown gasket. Drove to a shop got got an inspection and no sign of bad or blown gasket. Dye the coolant and that also came up negative. So the tech require a complete flushed, got that done ASAP. Next day drove to work and back home, pop the hood looked inside the reservior coolant and the same milk,oily residue came back. Is that normal for the coolant to look like that after all inspection for gasket came up negative and no leaks of any oil or coolant. HELP NEED ANSWER ASAP

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar tripowergto's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Coolant reservoir look milky, oily, and dirty

Can't be good.
    http://www.resurrectpontiac.com/

14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST)
    70 GTO - 65 & 69 GTO Conv http://realrockpro.com/

Walking
    Thanks

Help any clue or answer

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

really sounds like oil getting in the coolant somehow. im thinking you should probably be on a chrysler website asking about this sort of thing

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

sounds to me like either a bad head gasket, cracked head, or block...but you need to have it better checked out im thinking.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Go to a shop and have them check the transmission and radiator coolant lines. You could have trans fluid getting into your coolant.

Banned
    Thanks

if before radiator replace everything was ok, no Your describe symptoms show up, this can mean not proper system cleaning after replacing radiator and refilling new coolant, if i remember right it require at least 5 times clean up system by refilling it, heated it and drying it before filling working one which stays for next time fluid change after 3-6 year depend of coolant type

Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

I agree with Danaon. I dont own a car like yours, so I'm not an authority on it, but......Most likely, your transmission has a "transmission cooler" just like the one in my Nissan Xterra. The transmission coolant is routed THRU the radiator on my truck and most likely your SRT8 300. On the Xterra, it is a known design problem where the line that runs THRU the radiator carrying the transmission fluid CRACKS. This allows coolant into the transmission fluid, and transmission fluid into the coolant. If the car has an oil cooler, it could also be THAT line that has cracked.

ASAP, check your oil dipstick and see if there is coolant in your oil. It will look like milky crap is mixed into your oil. Then, check your transmission fluid dipstick for the same thing, but this time it will look like a strawberry milkshake! If you get coolant in your tranny it will kill it. Same for coolant in your oil. Since your radiator was JUST replaced, I am pretty certain this is what has happened. Good luck.
    Toyota--The Official Vehicle of Terrorist Everywhere

Thanks

If the Head gasket is OK and everything else is up to par then you might have a porous block in which the coolant is able to contaminate the oil, this is the only other thing that can cause that symptom.

2.5L Iron Duke Premium Member oldbowtie3's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010Camaro2SS/RS 2013 Regal GS

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
    I agree with Danaon. I dont own a car like yours, so I'm not an authority on it, but......Most likely, your transmission has a "transmission cooler" just like the one in my Nissan Xterra. The transmission coolant is routed THRU the radiator on my truck and most likely your SRT8 300. On the Xterra, it is a known design problem where the line that runs THRU the radiator carrying the transmission fluid CRACKS. This allows coolant into the transmission fluid, and transmission fluid into the coolant. If the car has an oil cooler, it could also be THAT line that has cracked.

ASAP, check your oil dipstick and see if there is coolant in your oil. It will look like milky crap is mixed into your oil. Then, check your transmission fluid dipstick for the same thing, but this time it will look like a strawberry milkshake! If you get coolant in your tranny it will kill it. Same for coolant in your oil. Since your radiator was JUST replaced, I am pretty certain this is what has happened. Good luck.
    Bad head gasket...check you tailpipe, in cold weather, for larger than normal volume of steam. If it smells sweet...Head gasket.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post

Nice analysis, doc. What a lazy man's way to cool trannie fluid. Another ten bucks for a mini cooler, it seems, might work better and surely would not set you up for disasters such as this.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

Take it to your local Dodge/Chrysler dealer? If the problem came right back, the shop who looked at it might not know what they are looking at....

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Sounds like an electrical problem. See #7 below:

THESE REALLY WORK!!

AMAZING SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES:

1. AVOID CUTTING YOURSELF WHEN SLICING VEGETABLES BY GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO HOLD THE VEGETABLES WHILE YOU CHOP.

2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY USING THE SINK.

3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS - SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE ON YOUR VEINS. REMEMBER TO USE A TIMER.

4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU FROM ROLLING OVER AND GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON.

5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, TAKE A LARGE DOSE OF LAXATIVES. THEN YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH.

6. YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

DAILY THOUGHT:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Nice analysis, doc. What a lazy man's way to cool trannie fluid. Another ten bucks for a mini cooler, it seems, might work better and surely would not set you up for disasters such as this.
    It is not just a transmission cooler it also warms the trans fluid in cold weather.
    Would definetly look into the engine oil and trans fluid coolers in the radiator as a culprit.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

yea sounds like you have fluid of some kind mixing in with the coolant i'd have that item looked at immediately by a professional mechanic since it could lead to much more serious issues if left unchecked
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 01-21-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information