Clicking noise in brakes

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clicking noise in brakes

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Clicking noise in brakes

This may be normal, but wanted to ask anyway. I just bought a 05 malibu classic and notice a slight clicking noise when applying the brakes. Is this something that is normal? It seems to be a good little car otherwise and great on gas! Are these good cars mechanically speaking?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Clicking noise in brakes

There is a TSB whereas a special lube is applied...

Subject:Brake Noise/Creak During Slow Speed Braking (Lubricate Brake Caliper) #04-05-23-004 - (09/20/2004)

Models:1999-2003 Chevrolet Malibu
    2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
    1999-2004 Pontiac Grand Am

Condition

Some customers may comment on a creak type noise occurring when applying the brakes. It is usually heard only during slow speed brake maneuvers. If this condition exists, it should be able to be duplicated when the vehicle is not moving by depressing the brake and listening for the noise from the wheel-well/caliper area.
    Cause

This condition may be caused by a caliper piston to seal interface issue during brake apply. If the caliper is removed and the piston is pushed back, the noise may be eliminated. This is usually only a temporary fix.
    Correction

DO NOT REPLACE CALIPER.
    To repair this condition, lubricate the entire circumference of the seal at the caliper piston interface using Kluber Fluid and the following procedure:
    1. <LI type=1>Remove the wheel and reinstall two lug nuts. This will hold the rotor to the bearing surface so debris does not fall between the surfaces and cause lateral runout (LRO). <LI type=1>Remove the bottom bolt from the caliper assembly without disturbing the hydraulic system.

<LI type=1>Swing the caliper assembly up so the caliper assembly is facing upward. <LI type=1>Thoroughly clean the piston boot with GM approved Brake Clean. Pay particular attention to the area where the boot interfaces with the piston. <LI type=1>Using compressed air, dry the piston/boot area.

<LI type=1>Remove the cap from the tip of the bottle and carefully insert the tip, P/N 89022161, between the boot and piston, inward of the piston boot groove. <LI type=1>From the top side of the piston (reference diagram), inject the lubricant. With the caliper in the tilted position, the lubricant will flow down and work its way around the entire circumference of the seal. Let the caliper body assembly remain in this position for a minimum of 2 minutes to allow for the fluid to completely work its way around the seal. <LI type=1>Push the piston into the seal to ensure the lubricant is on both the piston and seal surface. Important: Excessive fluid could appear as a failure and lead to a comeback. To prevent unnecessary future repairs, it is important to only use one bottle per side and make sure excess fluid is wiped away.
      <LI type=1>Wipe away any excessive fluid. <LI type=1>Reassemble the caliper to the vehicle. Tighten
      Tighten the caliper bolts to 31Nm(23 lb ft).
      <LI type=1>Repeat steps 1- 9 on the opposite side of the vehicle, if necessary. <LI type=1>Pump the brake pedal to push the caliper piston back into place.
    2. Reinstall the wheel and test drive the vehicle to verify repair.
    Parts Information

Part Number
    Description
    Service Kit -- Kluber Fluid

Important: The service kit will consist of a "one--time use only" bottle which will service one caliper.
    Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
    Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
    Labor Operation
    Description
    Labor Time
    H9702
    Brake Caliper -- Lubricate (One Side)
    0.3 hr
    H9703
    Brake Caliper -- Lubricate (Both Sides)
    0.6 hr

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

GMCSonoma, Thanks for the imformative reply. My vehicle is a 2005, I hope your information still applies to that model. I will print your information and take it to my dealer. This noise doesn't sound like anything major, however it's worth a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason58504 View Post
    GMCSonoma, Thanks for the imformative reply. My vehicle is a 2005, I hope your information still applies to that model. I will print your information and take it to my dealer. This noise doesn't sound like anything major, however it's worth a try.

Yes, it does apply...we just did the local army recruiter's 05 Classic for this problem...

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I went to the dealer today and they said this is a normal noise. It's a single slight click sounds when I apply the brake. It doesn't creak, just one click. I understand it's hard to diagnose a problem on a website, however the dealer said it's fine. I guess I will just wait and see if it gets worse or any other problems arise.

Thanks

most of the cars I've driven have that click when you first apply the pedal. it's usually the safety switch that allows you to move the gear shift from park to reverse. try moving the gear shift before you hear the click, then after you hear the click.

Firebird1324- Mr.Goodwrench-In-Training

The Wheels-
    1991 Pontiac Firebird (5.7)
    1993 Chevy Caprice Classic Wagon (5.7)
    1976 Cadillac DeVille (8.2)
    1985 Yamaha QT50 Moped (.05)

Hasta la Victoria Siempre!

Thanks

Firebird is correct....for the issue which I posted the TSB...you can physically hear the caliper make noise...

As firebird said...you might also hear the click of the stoplamp switch...which as your dealer stated...normal.

The one in my 1993 Roadmaster sedan is terribly loud...

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information