check engine light is on 2005 chev equinox

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: check engine light is on 2005 chev equinox

Walking
    Thanks

check engine light is on 2005 chev equinox

I recently had my plugs wires and throttle body cleaned for prev maintance purposes....now my check engine light is on...I work for a ford dealership..who did the work...they put it on the computer and it show exhaust issue and they said it needs a converter but I am just wondering if it i possible it could be a o2 sensor? I ? this because they told me I need a steering gear....ugh not...any help would be great.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: check engine light is on 2005 chev equinox

If the light was not on before the maintenance work, it needs to be cleared to see if it comes back on. Yes, it could be a sensor. If the vehicle had been misfiring for a long period of time, or misfiring heavily for a short period of time it could have damaged the converter, which would then need replacement.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

places like autozone and advance auto will scan your truck and tell you what the code means for free.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Sea King 35

Parts store scans don't tell you any more than the one you have. The only way to figure out what a particular code means is to work your way through the trouble shooting tree for that code. Having said that, if the code they pulled is for low convertor efficiency and you don't have any indications of a plugged convertor a safe thing to try is replacing the downstream O2.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information