Changing coolant in 2001 3.4 Impala

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing coolant in 2001 3.4 Impala

Thanks

Changing coolant in 2001 3.4 Impala

This is moms Impala, and it's never had a coolant change. The Death-Cool says it's good for 5 years, so it was about time...

I wanted to flush and replace with a good green coolant because I've heard nothing but bad about DC. She thought it would be best to stay with the stock coolant. So I picked up the coolant from Walmart and got to work.

Drained and added a bottle of flush, refilled and ran for a few minutes as per instructions.

Then I filled it up and the fluid is up to the filler neck, and it is up to both bleed valves, all appears well, except I can't feel coolant flowing through the hoses. The hose by the batter feels full, but I can't feel flow, the hose by the intake feels soft like it has nothing in it. Obviously this cant be, or there wouldn't be flow from the bleed valves, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I don't want to risk an air bubble, because there is already enough trouble with the 3.4 gaskets, but at the same time it's holding the right amount...so why does the hose feel empty?

Might just pay whatever they charge at Canadian Tire and let them do it again, just to be sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Changing coolant in 2001 3.4 Impala

The Dex-Cool is fine! The gaskets were the problem. Do you really think GM would continue using a coolant that was a problem? Quite following the uninformed advice of others! What is a batter?
    33 years with General Motors Product Service Engineering. A.S.E. Certified.

Thanks

Re: Changing coolant in 2001 3.4 Impala

Quote Originally Posted by The Factory Man View Post
    The Dex-Cool is fine! The gaskets were the problem. Do you really think GM would continue using a coolant that was a problem? Quite following the uninformed advice of others! What is a batter?
    That's why their was a class action suit over it? The stuff turns into a brown goop. I think it works fine, but the label should say no more than 4 years at the most. It's not like it's THAT big of a job, but knocking that extra year off would be helpful.

I meant "battery", and you never actually answered any questions And FTR GM would use asbestos as a firewall and lead paint if nobody was watching, so yea, they'd keep using it anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information