Changing bulbs on a 2008 Lucerne

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing bulbs on a 2008 Lucerne

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Changing bulbs on a 2008 Lucerne

If all goes well, sister will be getting a 2008 Buick Lucerne today or tomm.
    Since I had installed Silverstars in her current Impala- I know shell want them in her new car.
    Ive actually already bought the bulbs via Ebay- Silverstar Ultras low and high beams.
    According to Sylvanias web site- it takes the 9005 and 9006 bulbs.
    Since I dont have the car in front of me yet...
    how are the bulbs changed?
    Ive changed the bulbs in my 03 Trailblazer and her 03 Impala. and pulling up on the white tabs releases the headlight assembly. (my trailblazer also requires the removal of the grille).
    So on this Lucerne- is it also as easy as pulling up those clips? Im assuming it has clips....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ChevroletTough's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Re: Changing bulbs on a 2008 Lucerne

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
    If all goes well, sister will be getting a 2008 Buick Lucerne today or tomm.
    Since I had installed Silverstars in her current Impala- I know shell want them in her new car.
    Ive actually already bought the bulbs via Ebay- Silverstar Ultras low and high beams.
    According to Sylvanias web site- it takes the 9005 and 9006 bulbs.
    Since I dont have the car in front of me yet...
    how are the bulbs changed?
    Ive changed the bulbs in my 03 Trailblazer and her 03 Impala. and pulling up on the white tabs releases the headlight assembly. (my trailblazer also requires the removal of the grille).
    So on this Lucerne- is it also as easy as pulling up those clips? Im assuming it has clips....
    Ive done the same to my neighbor's 04 grand prix. very slick. Unlike my 95 monte carlo....

I would assume its the same? its a great design
    2004 Silverado Z71
    -G80 Eaton Locker
    -33" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    -SSBC Short Stop Brake Kit w/ stainless lines
    -K&N 77 Series Intake
    -2006 Grille and 2005 HD Hood
    - Corvette Servro
    -Custom LED lights inside and out
    -D ick Cepek DCII Rims
    -Access Bed Cover

"Drive what you want, appologize to no-one" - Nailhead425

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Nightmare. The right way to do it is to remove the bumper cover. The headlights are actually bigger then they look. Once you get that bumper cover off then you can get the headlights out, then you can replace the bulbs.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

remove a bumper to replace light bulbs--------yikes.....
    is the bumper difficult to remove?
    I have small hands... any chance I can remove the rubber caps and replace the bulbs?

Thanks

I'll go look at one on the lot later on and see wtf is going on....
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by shadams View Post
    Nightmare. The right way to do it is to remove the bumper cover. The headlights are actually bigger then they look. Once you get that bumper cover off then you can get the headlights out, then you can replace the bulbs.
    Huh? That's a joke, right?

GM had it as easy as pie on the 00-05 Impala. IIRC my 02 Regal had the same design. Logical, easy, no major surgery or tools needed.

Why would they make a "new" car that's more complicated and less convenient?

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar steverino's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LAMRONH View Post
    Huh? That's a joke, right?

GM had it as easy as pie on the 00-05 Impala. IIRC my 02 Regal had the same design. Logical, easy, no major surgery or tools needed.

Why would they make a "new" car that's more complicated and less convenient?
    Come on LAMRONH, I know you're smarter than that. It's so you have to go back to the dealer to cover the overhead from his service dept
    What, Me worry - Alfred E. Neuman

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by steverino View Post
    Come on LAMRONH, I know you're smarter than that. It's so you have to go back to the dealer to cover the overhead from his service dept
    OK, that does it, I'm calling Lutz.

BTW, is that overhead valves or cams?

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
    remove a bumper to replace light bulbs--------yikes.....
    is the bumper difficult to remove?
    I have small hands... any chance I can remove the rubber caps and replace the bulbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadams View Post
    I'll go look at one on the lot later on and see wtf is going on....
    No chance, there is no room behind the headlight, and there is all kinds of junk in the way. You may be able to get the dr side high beam, but the others I cant even see. It looks like you can just take out the bolts on top, but there are some behind the inner fender wells also. Even if you manage to get all the bolts out, the headlight is bigger then the facia opening is, so unless you pry it out and risk damaging something, it has to come off. I am sure once it has been done enough times you would be able to figure out a shortcut or two. Good luck...

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

that suxs.
    dont know if sis will like me taking apart her car....
    I downloaded a PDF of the 2008 manual, and theres no mention of it in there.
    Only how to change the rears and side bulbs....
    Last edited by rbarrios; 02-28-2008 at 02:08 PM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steverino View Post

It's worked so well for the imports so GM decided to do it too!

Thanks

Don't go hard on the Lucerne. It's happening to nearly all of the new GM product. The Avalanche was this way (check the cafcna forums for the nice sticky on how to change the headlights for the 07+ trucks). I'm pretty sure the new Malibu is too, since the owner's manual doesn't list the replacement bulb numbers or how to change them out..

Thanks

Well, to be fair, if we werent wanting to swap out bulbs the odds of having one go out are slim to none anyway.

But yea, the Yukon's, Sierra's, and such are the same way. So is my GTO, but when I took it apart it gave me an excuse to clean everything behind the bumper.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by USA1Fan View Post
    Don't go hard on the Lucerne. It's happening to nearly all of the new GM product. The Avalanche was this way (check the cafcna forums for the nice sticky on how to change the headlights for the 07+ trucks). I'm pretty sure the new Malibu is too, since the owner's manual doesn't list the replacement bulb numbers or how to change them out..
    This doesn't "just happen," it's not like an apple falling out of a tree.

These vehicles were designed this way and there's a reason they were designed this way.

Pitiful. Those arsehole engineers should be forced to change 1,000 headlight bulbs before they release these designs for production.

― Thomas Jefferson

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

For you young guys ...... At one point in time, you could actually change your headlights from the outside of the car, without raising the hood. It took a screwdriver or two and 10 or 15 minutes, unless the internal bracket screws were rusted, then it took forever.

Alignment of the headlight took a screwdriver (+) and a wall (garage door) to aim the headlights at.

End of story.

Now I have to remove half the front end.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information